Options

Will MAdonna go to no 1 with Living FOr Love this week?

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    Living4LoveLiving4Love Posts: 1,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nearly every older female artist has underperformed on the UK Albums Chart over the last 18 months.

Me. I Am Mariah... The Elusive Chanteuse by Mariah Carey peaked at #14 with first week sales of 6,547 before slipping to #54 in its second week.

Britney Jean by Britney Spears peaked at #34 with first week sales of 12,959 before slipping to #87 in its second week.

A.K.A. by Jennifer Lopez peaked at #41 with first week sales of just 2,060 copies in its first week.

Closer to the Truth by Cher peaked at #4 with first week sales of 14,621. It has since been certified silver. None of the other three albums listed above have sold enough to be certified.

If Kylie’s career is over because Kiss Me Once peaked at #2 with first week sales of nearly 30,000 copies, then Britney, Mariah and Jennifer Lopez are all screwed. Kiss Me Once currently has a silver certification but I have no doubt in my mind it will crawl to gold at some point. After all, The Abbey Road Sessions peaked at #2 and has been certified gold.

True, MDNA by Madonna has been certified gold in the UK, Rebel Heart probably will be as well, but it’s not like Madonna’s albums are reaching platinum certification in anymore. The only reason MDNA has been certified gold in the US is because it had a bundle to help it out. Rebel Heart has all kinds of bundles and deals to help it out throughout March. It also has 11 weeks of pre-orders to boost its first week sales in the UK.

My point still stands, Kylie HAS a platinum album and a top 3 hit single in the UK so far this decade. Madonna has neither

But why does it matter to you so much? no one else is bothered. None of this will change the fact Madonna IS the FOURTH biggest selling artist of all time and the biggest selling female of all time. Where is Kylie on that list?

If you want to debate sales perhaps start a thread asking why Kiss Me Once underperformed in the UK. Kylie was live every Saturday to 10 million people yet only 30k went out to buy the album that first week. Why was that? did people just not like her on The Voice? it was promo artists would kill for.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nearly every older female artist has underperformed on the UK Albums Chart over the last 18 months.

Me. I Am Mariah... The Elusive Chanteuse by Mariah Carey peaked at #14 with first week sales of 6,547 before slipping to #54 in its second week.

Britney Jean by Britney Spears peaked at #34 with first week sales of 12,959 before slipping to #87 in its second week.

A.K.A. by Jennifer Lopez peaked at #41 with first week sales of just 2,060 copies in its first week.

Closer to the Truth by Cher peaked at #4 with first week sales of 14,621. It has since been certified silver. None of the other three albums listed above have sold enough to be certified.

If Kylie’s career is over because Kiss Me Once peaked at #2 with first week sales of nearly 30,000 copies, then Britney, Mariah and Jennifer Lopez are all screwed. Kiss Me Once currently has a silver certification but I have no doubt in my mind it will crawl to gold at some point. After all, The Abbey Road Sessions peaked at #2 and has been certified gold.

True, MDNA by Madonna has been certified gold in the UK, Rebel Heart probably will be as well, but it’s not like Madonna’s albums are reaching platinum certification in anymore. The only reason MDNA has been certified gold in the US is because it had a bundle to help it out. Rebel Heart has all kinds of bundles and deals to help it out throughout March. It also has 11 weeks of pre-orders to boost its first week sales in the UK.

My point still stands, Kylie HAS a platinum album and a top 3 hit single in the UK so far this decade. Madonna has neither.

How do you know rebel Heart won't get a platinum status? It's already outselling every other UK album by 3 to 1. Mate, just give it a rest will you? No one anywhere has decried kylie or her success. It is only your persistance in reiterating facts over and over again as if you are worried by Madonna's current media interest is going to make Kylie a little less insignificant. You don't need to worry. Kylie is Kylie. Her legacy and success is set in stone. Madonna is Madonna. She is the Queen of Pop officially. That's just how it is and no one can change that.
  • Options
    tq21tq21 Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why on earth do people have to enter into these 'competitions' over whether their chosen artist is better than everyone else's? It is all very school playground... "My ... is better than yours".

Over the years I've listened to a lot of pop music, I've bought many albums by several different people, a couple of Gaga's, Cher, Kylie, Britney, etc, etc. I have all of Madonna's because she's MY favourite, it doesn't mean all the other artists aren't good, they are just not who I choose to listen to the most.

That doesn't make me any better than those people who choose to listen to someone else, it just means we have slightly different taste when it comes to music.

Madonna, Gaga, Kylie, etc would be the first ones to say when is comes to art, there is no best as its subjective. Yes I want to see Rebel Heart do well, because its a great album, if Kylie or someone else happens to sell more, I won't lose any sleep over it.

You don't need to denigrate someone else's choice to make yourself feel better over your choices.
  • Options
    StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, everybody that's talking about Madonna versus Kylie; Madonna, as an American woman was always going to have an easier time of breaking into the States and the US market than an outsider.

How many non-American women are or have been top-tier fame in the US, now or ever? I don't know the history of that partiularly well (please, feel free to give me some info!), but right now I'd say only really Adele would have a shot.

It was never a fair comparison to make from day 1 as they weren't starting from the same ground. Madonna, loved or loathed, is still a local girl to the US market.
  • Options
    tq21tq21 Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, everybody that's talking about Madonna versus Kylie; Madonna, as an American woman was always going to have an easier time of breaking into the States and the US market than an outsider.

How many non-American women are or have been top-tier fame in the US, now or ever? I don't know the history of that partiularly well (please, feel free to give me some info!), but right now I'd say only really Adele would have a shot.

It was never a fair comparison to make from day 1 as they weren't starting from the same ground. Madonna, loved or loathed, is still a local girl to the US market.

Sia is doing well in the US but then she lives there now, think she's 39 & from OZ, the US sometimes goes through phases of US vs Non-US acts. Ellie Goulding, Ed Sheeran & Hozier are all in the top 10 on billboard at the moment. I do think though in the past especially to make it in the US you had to move there for a period, not sure its still the same.
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My point still stands, Kylie HAS a platinum album and a top 3 hit single in the UK so far this decade. Madonna has neither.

those albums underperforming was because they were shit or at least not a patch on previous material. mariah is hit or miss at times, her last album was boring whilst the one before wasn't bad, and the one before that was boring

the madonna album is not notably better or worse than anything over the last 10 years or so. if it underperforms it's going to partly be because there's nothing particularly interesting about the tracks, and partly because of all the leaks, not just because people already got the tracks if they wanted to download, but the tracks being known well in advance with a general opinion of "meh"

i wouldn't say mariah or kylie were over as they've had bad patches before and came back from them with strong hit albums. i had big expectations for kylie when she changed label, only to be let down with a poor album

but the problem with all those acts is they rely on others to write and record and produce music for them, then all the videos and promotion, so it's a big team effort like most other consumer products. they don't just sit in a room and write songs and play guitar or piano and come out with a cracking album
  • Options
    Ellie_ArbuckleEllie_Arbuckle Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rebel Heart isnt underperforming though. It sold 46k on Monday so is already on course to beat the first week sales of MDNA and sold almost twice as much as Kiss Me Once did in one day alone.

Keep fooling yourself with all the excuses under the sun to make yourselves feel better but the fact is 46 thousand people bought a copy of this record on Monday alone. Its out selling the entire album chart by 3 to 1. Tesco sold out in Liverpool.