Options

Downtown Radio in Northern Ireland

Comments

• Options
    jackandjilljackandjill Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    Are you completely stupid or just ignorant? It is an oldies show.
    I enjoyed the music, someone who knows what they're doing for a change.
    Yes, you go back to the Downtown has beens at U105.

ringsabell wrote: »
    you could be rite there !!!!! what are downtown management thinking? heard the show tonight and it sounds like the station is going backwards. the only good thing was it sounded good on medium wave. only because the entire show was like i listening to 293 in the the late 70s. once again the planks of kiltonga get it deadly wrong while great presenters such as paul thomas and paul mckenna sit on the back benches. back to u105 for me.:mad::mad::mad:
  • Options
    Peter HendersonPeter Henderson Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yep, I thought Kenny was good last night.

Played tunes I hadn't heard on the radio for quite some time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member

well there a reason for that but sadly downtown will find out when they get their lowest ever rajar figures next week.

it is clear that it is jobs for the boys at cool fm and downtown with eddie west sorting his mates out at downtown and stuart robinson dishing out gigs on cool fm to his old citybeat pals like ricky k.

they wont be happy till its run into the ground. between robinson and west they have it all sewn up while the REAL talent have no mission of getting hired down there.:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member

downtown has beens? hardly,jay, lang and hero are at the top of their game now. not bad for guys in the business for years if u ask me.
  • Options
    Mojo Loop.Mojo Loop. Posts: 6
    Forum Member

.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member

Do you not mean the U105 has beens at Downtown, now there's a step backwards if ever there was one..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    well there a reason for that but sadly downtown will find out when they get their lowest ever rajar figures next week.

it is clear that it is jobs for the boys at cool fm and downtown with eddie west sorting his mates out at downtown and stuart robinson dishing out gigs on cool fm to his old citybeat pals like ricky k.

they wont be happy till its run into the ground. between robinson and west they have it all sewn up while the REAL talent have no mission of getting hired down there.:confused:

How true.
  • Options
    NRGNRG Posts: 3,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mojo Loop. wrote: »
    Yes, definitely glad Paul Are you and Kenny related, or an agent maybe.:;)
    I never met the guy before! too bad I can't say I like his night time radio show and stand in shows without someone thinking I'm an agent for Kenny Tosh.

That said, I do notice your posts have a certain disdain for anything Downtown related. Would you happen to be a DJ or troll from within the u105 fraternity working to an anti-downtown agenda? because your posts would certainly lead me to believe that.

Regards Kenny's new show, it couldn't have opened in a worse night what with it being the Olympics opening night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I totally agree, The two seem to be Ex Downtown Staff who now are at U105 and never have a positive comment to say about the station, it seems it's sour grapes with ex colleagues and previous bosses and who don't like to see the station doing well, heaven help anyone who likes the station in their eyes.

QUOTE=NRG;59928911]I never met the guy before! too bad I can't say I like his night time radio show and stand in shows without someone thinking I'm an agent for Kenny Tosh.

That said, I do notice your posts have a certain disdain for anything Downtown related. Would you happen to be a DJ or troll from within the u105 fraternity working to an anti-downtown agenda? because your posts would certainly lead me to believe that.

Regards Kenny's new show, it couldn't have opened in a worse night what with it being the Olympics opening night.[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    This story was in the irish news on Friday the 4th Aug it might answer a few questions posed on this thread....

http://www.irishnews.com/news.aspx?storyId=1180055
  • Options
    NRGNRG Posts: 3,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no arguing the figures, Downtown was the clear winner here. Tuned into u105 after figures were released, and was wondering why celebrations were rather muted to say least, which is hardly surprising when the station sucks! only decent shows are 1st and foremost Caroline Stewart's Saturday night disco show, followed by Jerry Lang (not the Saturday show). And what heck happened to Hero? from Hero to Zero!
    Hardly surprising u105 is going down the tubes with that ignoramus Maurice Jay running the show, he'd couldn't run a fish supper through a fryer let alone run a station.

Can't take George Jones apart from very small doses, and I sure as heck wouldn't be putting latest Downtown audience figures down to his inane waffling and BS, more a combination of many things. Breakfast show would be pulling in a younger audience with Gary at helm, Kenny's excellent live night shift show replaced the bland pre recorded crap of past especially for us nocturnal folks, Big T and his Saturday show, etc..... still much to do however.

In my opinion they need to get rid of Caroline Fleck and possibly think of replacing her with Paul McKenna, only good thing about her show is the 80s hour, just about everything else is woeful.

One guy I never mentioned on thread before was Owen Larkin, actually like his show, he's a rather witty guy which helps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NRG wrote: »
    There's no arguing the figures, Downtown was the clear winner here. Tuned into u105 after figures were released, and was wondering why celebrations were rather muted to say least, which is hardly surprising when the station sucks! only decent shows are 1st and foremost Caroline Stewart's Saturday night disco show, followed by Jerry Lang (not the Saturday show). And what heck happened to Hero? from Hero to Zero!
    Hardly surprising u105 is going down the tubes with that ignoramus Maurice Jay running the show, he'd couldn't run a fish supper through a fryer let alone run a station.

Can't take George Jones apart from very small doses, and I sure as heck wouldn't be putting latest Downtown audience figures down to his inane waffling and BS, more a combination of many things. Breakfast show would be pulling in a younger audience with Gary at helm, Kenny's excellent live night shift show replaced the bland pre recorded crap of past especially for us nocturnal folks, Big T and his Saturday show, etc..... still much to do however.

In my opinion they need to get rid of Caroline Fleck and possibly think of replacing her with Paul McKenna, only good thing about her show is the 80s hour, just about everything else is woeful.

One guy I never mentioned on thread before was Owen Larkin, actually like his show, he's a rather witty guy which helps.

find it hard to argue with all of your remarks here to be honest and i will stand corrected on my previous comment about downtown and the figures. credit where credit is due. looks like U105 may have peaked. someone told me that they have lost a quarter of their audience in the past year....can that be true?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Downtown's problem is the weekends, from Saturday afternoon it just goes down hill, worst two shows of all are Siobhan McGarry and the 70's show, knowledge about the music is Nil, and Kirsty with the 80's is fair with the music, but her voice puts me right off, I'm ready to turn off in the mornings, Gary Miles had a super show, but now Kirsty is there, bad decision.
  • Options
    Peter HendersonPeter Henderson Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Downtown's problem is the weekends, from Saturday afternoon it just goes down hill, worst two shows of all are Siobhan McGarry and the 70's show, knowledge about the music is Nil, and Kirsty with the 80's is fair with the music, but her voice puts me right off, I'm ready to turn off in the mornings, Gary Miles had a super show, but now Kirsty is there, bad decision.

I suppose whether or not you like a presenter's voice is a matter of personal taste !
  • Options
    WiredupWiredup Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    you could be rite there !!!!! what are downtown management thinking? heard the show tonight and it sounds like the station is going backwards. the only good thing was it sounded good on medium wave. only because the entire show was like i listening to 293 in the the late 70s. once again the planks of kiltonga get it deadly wrong while great presenters such as paul thomas and paul mckenna sit on the back benches. back to u105 for me.:mad::mad::mad:

Don't think I've actually heard a station get so bad. such a pity, Big T & Tosh radio. Must be best mates with someone to be on the station at all, Tosh should be put out to grass. Stuck in a Smashy & Nicey timewarp..such awful radio. Added to the fact that so many presenters move about so much you never know who's going to be on and so many substandard presenters. Maybe they haven't had a proper PD for years or just bad management I'm not sure, but the big turning point seemed to be when they let 2 of N. Ireland's best presenters Johnny Hero and Jerry Lang leave for U105, such a shame to see it go so bad, certainly needs surgery, and fast. Bring Hero & Lang back.
  • Options
    zorro2566zorro2566 Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there a web stream url available to non UK listeners? Bauer have blocked access to it!
  • Options
    AEC2600AEC2600 Posts: 2,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zorro2566 wrote: »
    Is there a web stream url available to non UK listeners? Bauer have blocked access to it!

I don't think so. It may become unblocked again, a month or 2 back bauer blocked access to their streams and then unblocked them a couple of weeks later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They did the same with Planet Rock,I had access to it for a few weeks and then blocked.The Clyde stations 1,2 & 3 the same!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caught the end of something Big T was saying last night about a frequency change! Whats that about?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like Big T and all the country shows are being removed from Downtown Radios FM frequency and moved to Downtown Country and 1026 MW.
  • Options
    jimbojimbo Posts: 16,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Read that yes but currently Downtown US on 1026kHz and VHF outside Belfast. Cool FM is on 87.4.

What I am not surw about is will Downtown Radio on VHF/FM be a different service to 1016kHz MW or will 1026kHz just have Downtown Country only and the original Downtown remains in VHF only. And what replaces the country output on Downtown on VHF/FM after 2 March?
  • Options
    BollardBollard Posts: 3,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jimbo wrote: »
    Read that yes but currently Downtown US on 1026kHz and VHF outside Belfast. Cool FM is on 87.4.

Downtown US and Cool PMR.
  • Options
    jimbojimbo Posts: 16,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Typo sorry.

Downtown 1026 is a 100% simulcast of what is carried 9n Downtown FM frequencies isn't it at present?

So is 1026 going to be Downtown Country only or stay the same? And what will replace country on FM?

Basically this will add a new version 9f Downtown Radio..

There will then be

Downtown 1026kHz
    Downtown Radio FM
    Cool FM
    Downtown Country