Downtown Radio in Northern Ireland

Comments

• mojo loopmojo loop Posts: 329
    Forum Member
    hey big, yeah ian still does the odd report on the rallies here and bobbie is still there sunday nites at 11...agree with u tho sadly :(

mojo, you say the same thing every post, not that im disagreein like but try movin it on a bit :)

You're right Radiomentalist, I should hold back.
    It's frustration and anger really, at seeing a station that I grew
    up with before moving over here,
    reduced to a shadow of it's former great self, and most of
    that destruction being caused by just one person, the current PD.
    I believe it would be much better if it was back under local ownership, and
    someone who understands radio in N. Ireland IS different.
    :(
    U105 seem to have it spot on.
  • Radio GurlRadio Gurl Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    Has Jonny Hero left Downtown, I noticed the smarmy Dougie doing his show, or is he on holiday.....does anyone know
  • Craig KellyCraig Kelly Posts: 2,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mojo loop wrote: »
    The previous posters are quite right about how good Downtown Radio was in it's heyday, at the moment it is a complete and utter shambles compared to it's former glory.

Same here in Scotland with Radio Clyde sinking fast. It is now commercial radio at its worst.
    Forum Member
    Same here in Scotland with Radio Clyde sinking fast. It is now commercial radio at its worst.

Clyde and Downtown both under the same umbrella, same people in charge of them both..?!
    Forum Member
    No strange thing that the decline of these once great stations,
    like Clyde and Downtown,
    is down to the management of people who shouldn't really be
    in their job.
    They have no real depth of knowledge on how to
    run the kind of radio stations under their control. When are
    Bauer going to wake up and get rid of the Steve King, Travis
    Baxter, Henry Owens, kind of people before it's too late.
    The only thing that will save the 2 N.Ireland stations, Downtown/Cool,
    is that they are sold off to someone with local knowledge on how
    to run a station properly.
    But instead they'll probably throw networking at it.!
  • Peter HendersonPeter Henderson Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is that they are sold off to someone with local knowledge on how
    to run a station properly.

Surely you don't mean JR ?
    Forum Member
    Surely you don't mean JR ?

No definitely not,

I think he's now gone to the BBC anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he's now gone to the BBC anyway.

What's he doing there ???:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio Gurl wrote: »
    Has Jonny Hero left Downtown, I noticed the smarmy Dougie doing his show, or is he on holiday.....does anyone know

Does it say anything on Downtown's website ?
  • Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chipman wrote: »
    I remember Wes's House - with Mark Wesley - used to be part of Cool FM's dance programming on a Saturday night. 6-7pm Glen pavis with commercial dance, and then 7pm-10pm Wes's House :)

I think he's still DJing these days in clubs, but don't know for sure - The Coach in Banbridge anyone?

Gene Wilson was unique, but I always thought he waffled on a bit - he was different though, and I think that's what made him stand out for some people. He was there for years, and I met him once. Hopefully he's moved on to bigger and better things - he left not long after 2006. I always felt he didn't really fit the format though - but each to their own.

matt ;)
    Hi Mark Wesley on air now here http://www.wightfm.com/
    Forum Member
    What's he doing there ???:confused:

JR did his last Take it easy on U105 a couple of weeks ago, was always an avid listener, he's gone to BBC Radio Ulster, possibly a
    consultancy type job, not too sure......
  • zorro2566zorro2566 Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be great if U105 went province wide (FM) or even on Sky!:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mojo loop wrote: »
    JR did his last Take it easy on U105 a couple of weeks ago, was always an avid listener, he's gone to BBC Radio Ulster, possibly a
    consultancy type job, not too sure......

Yes, always quite enjoyed his shows. I fondly remember the "hi fi" swap shop on his Downtown Radio show to the backing of the vangelis track "Alpha". His show on Downtown was followed by the late "Paul Prenter" if I remember correctly.
  • zorro2566zorro2566 Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to love DTR in the 90s when i practically lived in N.I. (going out with a nurse in Enniskillen).

Ivan & Richard,Dougi Marshall,Lynda Jane (R.I.P.),Candy Devine & Ronan Kelly.Richard Youngs late night show during the summer schedules was good too,ah great memories!

On the subject of U105,as their listenership is growing all the time they should try and broaden the listener base via province wide FM or Sky.I would love to hear them here in Sligo!:)
    Forum Member
    zorro2566 wrote: »
    I used to love DTR in the 90s when i practically lived in N.I. (going out with a nurse in Enniskillen).

Ivan & Richard,Dougi Marshall,Lynda Jane (R.I.P.),Candy Devine & Ronan Kelly.Richard Youngs late night show during the summer schedules was good too,ah great memories!

On the subject of U105,as their listenership is growing all the time they should try and broaden the listener base via province wide FM or Sky.I would love to hear them here in Sligo!:)

You can listen on-line like I do here in London, there's a link at their station website, or for those like yourself outside the UK,there's a Worldwide link that Jerry Lang has on his Jukebox website, that's how I've listened if the U105 link has problems, don't know if you'd pick it up on Freeview in Sligo, it's on 726, and like all the others, they will be on DAB ..hopefully soon
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Do you lay the blame for Downtown's demise at the feet of its current PD or do you portion some of the blame to SRH/EMAP/Bauer??

Gene Wilson is out of radio now altho still living in Northern Ireland. JR has gone to Radio Ulster.

Incidentally, have you noticed how U105 seem to be trying to target a younger audience as they are playing more of the current chart music.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Gene Wilson was great on Cool, could never understand why they let him go, considering what's there now.

As for Johnny Hero, conspicious by his absence on Downtown. As discussed on another thread, is this a result of his court action against Bauer? Are recent reports of his meetings with Maurice Jay at U105 a factor too? Have Downtown lost the plot totally?
    Forum Member
    DTT Ulster wrote: »
    Do you lay the blame for Downtown's demise at the feet of its current PD or do you portion some of the blame to SRH/EMAP/Bauer??

The turning point was around the time it went from SRH to EMAP before Bauer, EMAP killed it,..... but it's current demise is all down to one man, it's current PD, Henry Condon (Owens)
    Forum Member
    tackler wrote: »
    As for Johnny Hero, conspicious by his absence on Downtown. As discussed on another thread, is this a result of his court action against Bauer? Are recent reports of his meetings with Maurice Jay at U105 a factor too? Have Downtown lost the plot totally?

Johnny has now been off for 3 weeks, and he's not on this week either.....also heard Lisa Flavell on U105 over the last few days...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have Downtown lost the plot totally?

I should apply for a job at the station. You just never know !:

http://www.chainefm.com/peterhenderson.cfm

:D
    Forum Member
    I should apply for a job at the station. You just never know !:

http://www.chainefm.com/peterhenderson.cfm

:D

You should be looking to further your career, not destroy it...:rolleyes:
  • GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard a bit of Downtown recently. Candy Devine reading texts where people ask her to play songs that aren't on the playlist. She kept saying "I'm sorry I cant play what you are requesting" Awful radio.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    hey, just wondering when lisa was on u105 this week? i've been away the last few days so just asking to satisfy my curiosity... also interested to read your comments on johnny, didn't know he was suing baeur, anyone know why?
    interesting times...
    Forum Member
    hey, just wondering when lisa was on u105 this week? i've been away the last few days so just asking to satisfy my curiosity... also interested to read your comments on johnny, didn't know he was suing baeur, anyone know why?
    interesting times...

Lisa was on U105 Mon & Tue of this week betwen 9-12, must
    have been sitting in for Frank Mitchell.

According to the newspapers a month or 2 ago, it was in relation
    to Tax, holiday pay, sick pay etc, which some presenters like Dougi Marshall got, but
    others didn't, also to do with equality in pay, as presenters for the
    same company in England were getting double that of presenters in N.Ireland.
    If he is successful, it could have huge implications for a lot of stations.

I believe the story was in the Belfast Telegraph
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that mojo, tried searching the telegraph website for the story...cheers for the info :)