Options

Who needs who the most -celebrity magazines or celebrities?

HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
Forum Member
To what extent in modern day celebrity culture do celebrities need magazines to have a career and to what extent do the magazines need celebrities?Who needs who the most.

I suppose obviously its a codependent relationship but who has the upper hand?If magazines collectively decided not to talk about,interview or publish pictures of a given celebrity could they effectively end their showbiz career within a matter of months?Or are the mags so desperate for access and morsels/titbits of info and gossip that if celebrities dont cooperate with them their up the creek?

Comments

• Options
    NotaTypoNotaTypo Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Currently it's a self perpetuating, symbiotic, parasitic relationship.

Magazines weren't always so zeleb obsessed so if they weaned themselves off a regular diet of orange media ****, they would likely continue to sell.

OMWs, on the other hand would disappear back under their greasy, perma-tanned rocks and have to pay for their own holidays to Dubai.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty much what Nota said.

I remember the days when Heat was quite a decent magazine. Ok, it was always lowbrow and gossip ridden but it was well written tosh, not the home for knuckle dragging zelebs it is today.
    I'm pretty sure OK and Now were far superior back in the day to their current pondlife status now.

It's a chicken and egg situation. If all the rags shut down tomorrow, pretty much most of the z list would cease to exist in a few weeks time as there are only so many times the personal pap can take a picture of one of them at Starbucks for the SOS.
  • Options
    artlesschaosartlesschaos Posts: 11,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The mags have the power - a few, carefully timed not-so-subtle "pssst" pieces, a couple of snide remarks in an interview or a complete calling-out of a star can definitely start bringing people down.

In fact, you can normally tell which mags/papers are associated with each other because of the "stable" of OMW's they support.

The zelebs are fodder - if the media want to make them unpopular, they will.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NotaTypo wrote: »
    Currently it's a self perpetuating, symbiotic, parasitic relationship.

Magazines weren't always so zeleb obsessed so if they weaned themselves off a regular diet of orange media ****, they would likely continue to sell.

OMWs, on the other hand would disappear back under their greasy, perma-tanned rocks and have to pay for their own holidays to Dubai.
    What does OMW stand for please?

I feel more people are seeing through the contrived nature of this and hence a factor in declining sales and interest in these magazines.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What does OMW stand for please?

I feel more people are seeing through the contrived nature of this and hence a factor in declining sales and interest in these magazines.

Orange Media Wh*re
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Orange Media Wh*re

Many Thanks LOL:D
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The readership of these mags has plummeted over the last decade. They sell a fraction of what they once did. Most of the stories in them are made up nonsense or stuff like Katie sent a tweet. They don't pay for any of this just minimum wage for a few students to write up stories. Many of the front pages now are taken from stuff from the internet with piccies added. Pap agencies have gone bust as most of the photos are now taken on mobile phones by general public and flogged. Next decade surprising if any left.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    The readership of these mags has plummeted over the last decade. They sell a fraction of what they once did. Most of the stories in them are made up nonsense or stuff like Katie sent a tweet. They don't pay for any of this just minimum wage for a few students to write up stories. Many of the front pages now are taken from stuff from the internet with piccies added. Pap agencies have gone bust as most of the photos are now taken on mobile phones by general public and flogged. Next decade surprising if any left.

Decent internet connections have probably caused that. After all, why buy a magazine to read the latest celebrity gossip when you can read them online for nothing?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems that the real celebrities, those with a proper talent can get by. If they have a film, song or have another media presence than they will have no problem being asked to high profile events and interviews. I'm not sure if they really need the magazines as much now.
    It's the lower end of the scale that need them, the zleb, having their agents phone them to get a picture of them leaving a shop or some such nonsense is just their way of letting the media no that they have no talent, but will let you photograph them as it's the only way they can stay in the public eye.
    I don't think I have purchased a magazine for myself in years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Decent internet connections have probably caused that. After all, why buy a magazine to read the latest celebrity gossip when you can read them online for nothing?

I think increasingly magazines are restricting the depth and breadth of their online content to counteract that so Im not sure that will explain away fully the fall in circulation.
  • Options
    phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    NotaTypo wrote: »

A lot of the OMW's would still be paid for their trips to Dubai, we just wouldn't read about it.

"Visiting Dubai" is something of a euphemism - without the gossip mags/sites you're just removing the 'M' from the equation! Ask yourself, what really is it that is so attractive about the Gulf States that the TOWIE lot, the Kardashians, LiLo, Tara Reid et al need to visit 6 times a year? ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think increasingly magazines are restricting the depth and breadth of their online content to counteract that so Im not sure that will explain away fully the fall in circulation.

Sites have not long been doing this though, I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    phil solo wrote: »
    A lot of the OMW's would still be paid for their trips to Dubai, we just wouldn't read about it.

"Visiting Dubai" is something of a euphemism - without the gossip mags/sites you're just removing the 'M' from the equation! Ask yourself, what really is it that is so attractive about the Gulf States that the TOWIE lot, the Kardashians, LiLo, Tara Reid et al need to visit 6 times a year? ;-)
    Ooh what on earth do you mean by that lol?Please explain!:D
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With universities in the state they're in, I'm concerned I could be writing somebody's doctorate by replying.
    Interesting question though, like what came first, the sh1t or the shovel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    With universities in the state they're in, I'm concerned I could be writing somebody's doctorate by replying.
    Interesting question though, like what came first, the sh1t or the shovel.

Great quote at the end of your post-I will remember and use that one!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The low class magazines promote zelebs that have little talent, are usually very unattractive, make money by selling their children, weddings and diet vids.
    Who wants to buy that? It's no wonder the sales are dropping.
  • Options
    Maggie_MooMaggie_Moo Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    I agree with all of these posts, and I know it's an individual's choice. But really!......what person spends their hard earned money on (as a previous FM described perfectly) shovels full of Shit!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The low class magazines promote zelebs that have little talent, are usually very unattractive, make money by selling their children, weddings and diet vids.
    Who wants to buy that? It's no wonder the sales are dropping.

I wonder which of these magazines will be the first to fold?Have any closed in recent years?
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At one time it was even in the interest of the major stars to speak to these magazines but now they have their facebook/twitter etc presences they're more in control of whats officially published so you won't see an interview with some A-list star like Nicole Kidman as she's got all her PR nicely sorted so they're heading down now to those who cannot afford a decent PR rep and as such will basically do anything the mags want for a small bit on the front page of their mag
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    At one time it was even in the interest of the major stars to speak to these magazines but now they have their facebook/twitter etc presences they're more in control of whats officially published so you won't see an interview with some A-list star like Nicole Kidman as she's got all her PR nicely sorted so they're heading down now to those who cannot afford a decent PR rep and as such will basically do anything the mags want for a small bit on the front page of their mag

Absolutely. They can basically put down what they want and know that everything they say will get put down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder which of these magazines will be the first to fold?Have any closed in recent years?
    I wouldn't really know, I see the mags in the shops and they all look the same, same stories, slightly different pictures, same buzz words.
    I'm never tempted to buy one, they don't appeal to me, I'm sure they must sell though, or they wouldn't keep printing them.
    It's easier to have a quick look on the Internet if I want to find anything.
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The magazines do make up a lot of nonsense; but it's often a symbiotic relationship that they have with the lower end of the celeb spectrum. People like Peter Andre, Jordan, Kerry Katona, Chantelle Houghton, Lauren Goodger, Michelle Heaton et al, actively rely on the income that OK photo shoots give; a nice little earner in the absence of anything else much happening.

Peter Andre has appeared on the cover of OK so many times this year, I'm surprised he hasn't got shares in it!:D
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The magazines do make up a lot of nonsense; but it's often a symbiotic relationship that they have with the lower end of the celeb spectrum. People like Peter Andre, Jordan, Kerry Katona, Chantelle Houghton, Lauren Goodger, Michelle Heaton et al, actively rely on the income that OK photo shoots give; a nice little earner in the absence of anything else much happening.

Peter Andre has appeared on the cover of OK so many times this year, I'm surprised he hasn't got shares in it!:D

Peter Andre obsessed. You know he does not rely on OK magazine income. Saying this over and over again does not make it true just highlights your desperation. His OK covers have often been stuff taken from internet (like other folks) which are not paid for (like other folks). He has done 2/3 interviews which he will have been paid for. Hardly mega cash as these mags don't pay it. It is not 2004.

Time to give up. Making out Peter is a washed up Z lister is a lost cause. You and your friends have been at it for 5 and a half years. You don't like him. Fair enough but this constant comparing him to the z list band is pathetic.
  • Options
    HmmbopHmmbop Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    Peter Andre obsessed. You know he does not rely on OK magazine income. Saying this over and over again does not make it true just highlights your desperation. His OK covers have often been stuff taken from internet (like other folks) which are not paid for (like other folks). He has done 2/3 interviews which he will have been paid for. Hardly mega cash as these mags don't pay it. It is not 2004.

Time to give up. Making out Peter is a washed up Z lister is a lost cause. You and your friends have been at it for 5 and a half years. You don't like him. Fair enough but this constant comparing him to the z list band is pathetic.

You really have over stepped the mark here, I'm afraid. Alerted!