anyone know how Ola is?

124»

Comments

• Options
    tortoisepersontortoiseperson Posts: 3,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kirsty18 wrote: »
    Yes exactly. Theres risk everywhere you turn. She may have not even been training like with the jump. She may have just decided she has a free day lets go for a ski in preparation for the jump training

^ this. I'm quite upset by the readiness to condemn and the lack of sympathy.:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    Kirsty18 wrote: »
    Yes exactly. Theres risk everywhere you turn. She may have not even been training like with the jump. She may have just decided she has a free day lets go for a ski in preparation for the jump training

There was a camera crew at Hemel the day she was injured, people doing pieces to camera, one ski lift was closed,I guess for the shows participants, my husband was snowboarding there at the same time, but didn't see Ola have her incident.
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Steve going to be there in the final and if he needs a partner who will it be?

(posted out of curiosity and not with disregard for Ola)
  • Options
    daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    707Coco707 wrote: »
    I'd love to see Steve dancing with Anya but Tim tweeted this photo of rehearsals and Gordana is in it and Anya isn't, hopefully that doesn't mean anything though

https://twitter.com/TimWonnacott/status/545557464331337728/photo/1
    Ooh .. I can't quite make out everybody. Who's with Tim? ... and Brendan?
  • Options
    CranfieldCranfield Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    OldShep56 wrote: »
    I read reports about people having knee surgery and replacements and it almost embarrasses me. There are all these people getting out of hospital in a couple of days and making remarkable progress. I was in hospital for 9 bloody days!!! and told under no circumstances to put weight on my R leg for 4 weeks. The first two days after the op I had a morphine drip, let alone think of going home. I know I am a big bloke and my knee had to be specially made for me but it seems odd to me how so many people get home early and I struggled. Even a relative of mine was back running half marathons in 6 weeks. The only person I have ever heard have a bad time through this op was a mates mother and she said the same as me. NO way was we having the other one done. I had my R done in Nov. and was supposed to have my L done in the Jan. When I went to see the surgeon two months after the op, he clapped his hands and asked if I was ready for my L to be done. After falling about laughing at my reply, he said he knew I would say that and thus hadn't ordered my L. He said most people who had this particular op didn't want the other one done. I don't know if there is different degrees of replacement but all I know is it damned well hurt for ages.

Not wishing to derail this thread any further, but I think for the benefit of anyone considering replacement knee surgery, I would like to briefly comment on the above post.

I had a full replacement of my RT knee joint 10 years ago and my Lft knee joint replaced 5 years ago.
    Both operations were successful and I have no regrets.
    I would say that it is imperative to do the recommended after Op exercises and physio.

The full success rate for this operation is extremely high.
  • Options
    curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daziechain wrote: »

I also wondered who was with Tim? Its Joanne with Brendan 😊
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    daziechain wrote: »

I have no idea who is with Tim, I think its Joanne with Brendan. After looking at it again though I'm wondering is Anya actually in it, is it her with Jason Gilkison on the right between Anton and Steve? Or maybe thats Iveta :confused:
  • Options
    johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ this. I'm quite upset by the readiness to condemn and the lack of sympathy.:(

There's plenty of sympathy (and rightly so), but people are also (rightly) questioning the wisdom of Ola's decision to take part in such a dangerous show when her career is based on her being physically healthy. As has been pointed out several times on the thread, The Jump had a high injury count in the first series (only the eventual winner avoided injury, and he was brought in to the show when someone else got injured).
  • Options
    aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It broke Steve Regrave, for heavens sake :o
    Didn't ITV turn it down as too dangerous?
  • Options
    *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    Is Steve going to be there in the final and if he needs a partner who will it be?

(posted out of curiosity and not with disregard for Ola)

Well they could use Anya if she's available.

I'm sad to hear of Ola's injury - I hope she makes a speedy recovery.
  • Options
    LancslassLancslass Posts: 438
    Forum Member
    Has anyone heard who is going to partner Steve tonight, he was my favourite for a while, and would hate to see him miss out on the final dancing.
  • Options
    catakincatakin Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    I hope Ola is there in the audience tonight and gets a mention. She was only mentioned once on IT2 with a couple of words. Probably if she'd injured herself on SCD instead of the Jump it would have been different but she has been a brilliant regular for years on that show and deserves more than a few seconds mention which only happened as Vicky Gill mentioned one of her dresses.
  • Options
    *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lancslass wrote: »
    Has anyone heard who is going to partner Steve tonight, he was my favourite for a while, and would hate to see him miss out on the final dancing.

He was shown last night in the training footage for the group dance - he had a bit of a twirl with Sunetra. Anya was also shown training but I don't know if that means she's going to partner him.
  • Options
    J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right at the very beginning of this clip Steve is shown with a young woman with shoulder length black (?) hair - it looks like the girl standing next to Tim in the group photo. It is a VERY brief glimpse though!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/strictlycomedancing/posts/Backstage-The-Final
  • Options
    hilary2329hilary2329 Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    Ola posted on Twitter last night that "Unfortunately things aren't too good for me at the moment" but that "her angel" James was looking after her.

I would guess that she won't be in the audience tonight as someone has suggested.

What Ola appears to have is a very common injury with skiers where basically the top half and the bottom half rotate in different directions and the result is bad ligament damage which, looking at the knee brace, appears to be what she has?

I was a ski instructor for many years and even experienced this injury myself. It's very painful but time and rest will ensure full mobility. When I did my injury I was in Austria so they put it in a plaster cast automatically which is a longer recovery.

I hope she is a good patient though and gets well soon.
  • Options
    CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    Cranfield wrote: »
    Not wishing to derail this thread any further, but I think for the benefit of anyone considering replacement knee surgery, I would like to briefly comment on the above post.

I had a full replacement of my RT knee joint 10 years ago and my Lft knee joint replaced 5 years ago.
    Both operations were successful and I have no regrets.
    I would say that it is imperative to do the recommended after Op exercises and physio.

The full success rate for this operation is extremely high.

I can only echo these comments!

I had my ligaments repaired on day surgery - and walked out of hospital that evening with only a stick for support. I was delivering a talk to the local WI the next evening as well (albeit sitting down rather than standing up), and back at work a week later, but told to be careful of what i did there.

My 73 year old mother in law had a total knee replacement done last year - and was out of hospital 3 days later, and mobile from the dafternoon of the operation. She wasn't allowed to drive for 6 weeks - but was actively encouraged to be as mobile as possible during the recovery time - and to do all the exercises recommended by the physio. its been a complete success and she is now looking forward to having the other one done as she now notices the pain from it a lot more as the first one is "fixed" as it were!

Im looking at having both knees replaced in the not too distant future - and am hoping for a similar success!
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CaroUK wrote: »
    I can only echo these comments!

I had my ligaments repaired on day surgery - and walked out of hospital that evening with only a stick for support. I was delivering a talk to the local WI the next evening as well (albeit sitting down rather than standing up), and back at work a week later, but told to be careful of what i did there.

My 73 year old mother in law had a total knee replacement done last year - and was out of hospital 3 days later, and mobile from the dafternoon of the operation. She wasn't allowed to drive for 6 weeks - but was actively encouraged to be as mobile as possible during the recovery time - and to do all the exercises recommended by the physio. its been a complete success and she is now looking forward to having the other one done as she now notices the pain from it a lot more as the first one is "fixed" as it were!

Im looking at having both knees replaced in the not too distant future - and am hoping for a similar success!

I send you sincere best wishes for a speedy recovery and complete success, as I'm sure it will be.

I was thinking about a dance friend of mine - at different times over the past few years he has had both knees replaced, and both hips replaced, and other than the essential few recovery weeks each time, none has stopped him dancing 5 times a week, and competing most weekends.
  • Options
    hilary2329hilary2329 Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    Poor Ola! James has been tweeting that he has been in hospital today for accute pain caused by gallstones?
    Things just aren't going well for them at the moment are they?