Campaign Against X-Factor: Duran Duran For Xmas No.1

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 740
Forum Member
✭✭
Duran Duran's new single "All You Need Is Now" has had it's release brought forward and will be available to download FOR FREE exclusively from iTunes TODAY (Wednesday 8th December, assuming you're on UK time).

There is currently a Facebook campaign to get the single to number one for Christmas. Whether you like the song or not, if you have iTunes then please download it and support preventing The X-Factor from getting the Christmas number one again. It is free, after all! Link is here, please show your support and let real music have it's chance to shine in the charts this Christmas...

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=256227617774

And for anyone interested, some more news about their new album (out December 21st on iTunes and then the physical CD with additional tracks is out in February) can be found here: http://www.duranduran.com/wordpress/?p=17458

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    This will be campaign number 56 or something.

There's way too many of these campaigns for one to get to the top. Surfin' Bird has the best chance because that has the most support at the moment.
  • Red+BloodedRed+Blooded Posts: 4,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's free how would it be eligable to chart.

Plus its to late to start a campaign, you would need something big to promote the campaign like a big poster on a bus.

And when did they get back together.
    Forum Member
    If it's free how would it be eligable to chart.

It's not. Singles have to be at least 40p to chart (or 60p for physical copies).

Someone should really mention that in the group because this campaign is essentially pointless.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not. Singles have to be at least 40p to chart (or 60p for physical copies).

Someone should really mention that in the group because this campaign is essentially pointless.

thought it sounded pointless when i saw the word FREE in bold. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They got back together in 2005 and since then have produced two mediocre albums. However, their new album (produced by Mark Ronson, the third album since they reformed) is a return-to-roots homage to their early sound.

The tracks I've heard would definitely qualify as having the "Rio sound" but with a more polished, contemporary update. It's a really great album and I would recommended it to anyone, even if you're not a fan of Duran Duran, because it's a real stunner.

The new single "All You Need Is Now" is not really representative of the album though, as it's got a very modern intro and very modern verses, in comparison to the other tracks on the album which all have a strong 80s sound throughout. The chorus, on the other hand, has some nice 80s synths and seems to borrow the keyboards from their 1983 track "New Moon On Monday".
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to buy it anyway because I'm a huge Duran Duran fan. (It's just free for the first day of release, not the whole week.)
    I think people should buy music because they like the song and the band, not as some anti X-Factor thing. I really am not against X-Factor. Yes, their songs get to #1, but there's plenty of room for other artists in the charts.
    It's interesting that they chose DD for this campaign. Because Simon Le Bon was interviewed and he said he has no problem with X-Factor. He says he feels it's one way to get into the music business for young people and since the music business is so hard, people should try anything they can to get into it and the show gives people chances who might otherwise not have them. I found his attitude very refreshing because it's so trendy to slag off X factor.
    I want DD to chart high because I love their music, not because I'm against X Factor
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Please note, this isn't my campaign and I wasn't aware that songs couldn't chart if they were less than 40p... :o

I'm just a fan who is sick and tired of the cack that dominates the charts these days, especially anything related to The X-Factor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doctor Why wrote: »
    They got back together in 2005 and since then have produced two mediocre albums. However, their new album (produced by Mark Ronson, the third album since they reformed) is a return-to-roots homage to their early sound.

The tracks I've heard would definitely qualify as having the "Rio sound" but with a more polished, contemporary update. It's a really great album and I would recommended it to anyone, even if you're not a fan of Duran Duran, because it's a real stunner.

The new single "All You Need Is Now" is not really representative of the album though, as it's got a very modern intro and very modern verses, in comparison to the other tracks on the album which all have a strong 80s sound throughout. The chorus, on the other hand, has some nice 80s synths and seems to borrow the keyboards from their 1983 track "New Moon On Monday".

I may give it a listen tommorrow, if i don't forgot. Some of there old songs are a bit groovy, i rock Rio on the karoke mic.
    Forum Member
    Please note, this isn't my campaign and I wasn't aware that songs couldn't chart if they were less than 40p... :o

I'm just a fan who is sick and tired of the cack that dominates the charts these days, especially anything related to The X-Factor.

Don't worry, I wasn't getting at you directly :p

I'd promote things on here from my favourite acts with no hesitation :p

I really, really want a repeat of last year to happen, which is why I'm backing Surfin' Bird (awful song, though!). It has the most support and biggest chance of stopping the X-Factor.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    I'm going to buy it anyway because I'm a huge Duran Duran fan. (It's just free for the first day of release, not the whole week.)
    I think people should buy music because they like the song and the band, not as some anti X-Factor thing. I really am not against X-Factor. Yes, their songs get to #1, but there's plenty of room for other artists in the charts.
    It's interesting that they chose DD for this campaign. Because Simon Le Bon was interviewed and he said he has no problem with X-Factor. He says he feels it's one way to get into the music business for young people and since the music business is so hard, people should try anything they can to get into it and the show gives people chances who might otherwise not have them. I found his attitude very refreshing because it's so trendy to slag off X factor.
    I want DD to chart high because I love their music, not because I'm against X Factor

Fair comments, but my gripe with The X-Factor is that it's watched by a large proportion of the British public just for the sake of entertainment, where by the actual quality of music is all but surrendered.

Don't get me wrong, there are some really great singers on that show, but their talents will never be realised. Half of them are only doing the programme for fame and fortune and don't care about whether they can play an instrument, write their own songs or create ground-breaking music. To people who have an ear for real, well-tailored music, that kind of attitude really stinks.

The other half have great voices and would like to become musicians because they've got passion and want to be a part of something really special, but are then demoted as bona fide sleezy pop acts by Mr Cowell and his evil minions. People soon get bored with them and a few years later, they're appearing on I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here or they are forgotten, lurking behind their own shortcomings in a world of complete irrelevance.
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair comments, but my gripe with The X-Factor is that it's watched by a large proportion of the British public just for the sake of entertainment, where by the actual quality of music is all but surrendered.

Don't get me wrong, there are some really great singers on that show, but their talents will never be realised. Half of them are only doing the programme for fame and fortune and don't care about whether they can play an instrument, write their own songs or create ground-breaking music. To people who have an ear for real, well-tailored music, that kind of attitude really stinks.

The other half have great voices and would like to become musicians because they've got passion and want to be a part of something really special, but are then demoted as bona fide sleezy pop acts by Mr Cowell and his evil minions. People soon get bored with them and a few years later, they're appearing on I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here or they are forgotten, lurking behind their own shortcomings in a world of complete irrelevance.

Yes, that's all true but in the music business long before Simon and X Factor, there have always been one hit wonders by people who really weren't that talented but just wanted to be famous and then disappear soon afterwards.
  • miles19740miles19740 Posts: 14,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Duran Duran's new single "All You Need Is Now" has had it's release brought forward and will be available to download FOR FREE exclusively from iTunes TODAY (Wednesday 8th December, assuming you're on UK time).

There is currently a Facebook campaign to get the single to number one for Christmas. Whether you like the song or not, if you have iTunes then please download it and support preventing The X-Factor from getting the Christmas number one again. It is free, after all! Link is here, please show your support and let real music have it's chance to shine in the charts this Christmas...

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=256227617774

And for anyone interested, some more news about their new album (out December 21st on iTunes and then the physical CD with additional tracks is out in February) can be found here: http://www.duranduran.com/wordpress/?p=17458

I totally agree. Let's stop Cowell again. Let's send a strong message that the vast majority of us are against him, what he stands for and what he represents. Now to iTunes.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These campaigns became tedious a long time ago. Please stop.
  • miles19740miles19740 Posts: 14,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There's way too many of these campaigns for one to get to the top. Surfin' Bird has the best chance because that has the most support at the moment.

Not at all. You can never have enough to stop Cowell's conveyor belt.

There is a tune called 'Sorry It's A No' which samples Cowell ...and it is really good...released December 12th.
    Forum Member
    miles19740 wrote: »
    Not at all. You can never have enough to stop Cowell's conveyor belt.

There is a tune called 'Sorry It's A No' which samples Cowell ...and it is really good...released December 12th.

Yeah, but if there are 10 campaigns then the "power" is spread across 10 campaigns, so that means there'll be 10 new entries lower down in the chart leaving the X-Factor in the open.

Lets say 200,000 sales are needed to beat the X-Factor, then they need to come from ONE song, not 10.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Again, too many campaigns are trying to break X Factor. Which leaves all the big supermarket chains placing the winner's single at the front of the entertainment section and lots of people foolishly buying it.
    Let's see - John Cage, Surfin Bird, Yeo Valley, Gamu, this and any others are going to have to sell 600,000 each.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    Not going to happen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    well if this is a free release its not chart elligable, so while it should generate interest in the album, it's not going to be #1!

The John Cage song is probably not going to be elligable as the version that is being released was recorded yesterday. When submitting a track for chart elligability, it does ask for three weeks grace on the ppl website. (I'm sure if the company behind it are "players" then that won't be an issue)

Surfin bird looks the strongest in terms of numbers to get to #1, but it does all depend on how many of the family guy crew on there do actually buy the track.

Corey Taylor (slipknot/stone sour) 's song may be a contener, allthough the facebook group's numbers are low, fans of his style are likely to buy multiple times (3 with each card they own), so their numbers could shoot up quickly.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

They should have a campaign for the Xmas single, one for the New Year single and 1 for the week or 2 after that. Just to make sure that the X Factor winner never gets to No.1.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surfin' Bird is the work of the Family Guy team? Well, I won't be buying that single either then. Cannot stand the programme.

By the way, this "campaign" is not endorsed by Duran Duran themselves and if it did get to number one and beat The X-Factor, it would be purely consequential. The idea is to get the single to number one because they're a great band and their album is set to be one of the best records of 2010/11, so they deserve the top spot.