Options

Virgin or sky

David_CassonDavid_Casson Posts: 18
Forum Member
Was thinking of leaving virgin to go to sky TV .thank god I did not ,am on Holliday in Wales and were we are staying they have sky had box .so after 5 mins playing with it I wanted to chuck the thing out the window .sky remote horrible thing to hold , sky channels all over the place ,TiVo box and remote are a lot better .and last thing to moan about sky if I want to watch something on catch up TV you have to download it ,and you only have a certain usage amount .no thank you ,so just like to thank you virgin media I think your better than sky

Comments

• Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    I actually quite like the downloading thing. I don't bother with catch up most of the time on Virgin but it would make it far easier If i could download stuff to my Tivo.
  • Options
    ***BlackCat******BlackCat*** Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    I was with Virgin/NTL for nearly 10 years
    I changed to Sky 12 months ago & I'm currently in the process of changing back. I didn't realise until I changed to Sky, how many programmes I record at the same time whilst watching live tv until I hadn't got my Tivo box. I was constantly losing the signal whenever it rained or snowed or even windy. Glad to see the back of Sky!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was with Virgin/NTL for nearly 10 years
    I changed to Sky 12 months ago & I'm currently in the process of changing back. I didn't realise until I changed to Sky, how many programmes I record at the same time whilst watching live tv until I hadn't got my Tivo box. I was constantly losing the signal whenever it rained or snowed or even windy. Glad to see the back of Sky!

Tivo is the main reason I won't switch, couldn't go back to only being able to record 2 programmes now.
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Tivo is the main reason I won't switch, couldn't go back to only being able to record 2 programmes now.
    I have Sky but I am fascinated at the totally different habits of VM customers......I have only wanted to record more than 2 programmes at once once or twice in the last 5 years or so!!!:o

It 's just a largely meaningless feature to me!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BKM wrote: »
    I have Sky but I am fascinated at the totally different habits of VM customers......I have only wanted to record more than 2 programmes at once once or twice in the last 5 years or so!!!:o

It 's just a largely meaningless feature to me!

I have 3 tuners working a hell of a lot of the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have 3 tuners working a hell of a lot of the time.
    Perhaps you really need even more!:D

Seriously 2 recording has seemed just perfect for me about 99% of the time
  • Options
    Ernie_CErnie_C Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This simply means your viewing habits are different than other people.

The 9pm slot can be very congested.

Sometimes 3 tuners is not enough. That's when TiVo's other unique feature comes into use and reschedules programs for which there is no tuner available.

My personal record is 8 programs requiring recording at the same time. TiVo managed to record repeats for all programs and recorded all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ernie_C wrote: »
    This simply means your viewing habits are different than other people.

The 9pm slot can be very congested.

Sometimes 3 tuners is not ...
    You must not suffer from my problem! I have a (self installed) 2Tb HDD and it's almost TOTALLY full!!!

Recording far too much is too easy! It's finding the time to WATCH them! Extra tuners would just make this worse:confused:
  • Options
    Ernie_CErnie_C Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You must not suffer from my problem! I have a (self installed) 2Tb HDD and it's almost TOTALLY full!!!

Recording far too much is too easy! It's finding the time to WATCH them! Extra tuners would just make this worse:confused:

To be honest, even 1TB is far too big for us as we actually do watch what we record.

I really can't see the benefit of recording material that will never be watched.

Even my 1TB Virgin Media box with only MPEG2 compression can record 120 hours of HD material. It would take 5 full days to watch.

I see no benefit in people's demand for bigger disks and MPEG4 compression. I see these devices for time-shifting your viewing, not for archiving material that neither belongs to you nor you will ever find time to watch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ernie_C wrote: »
    I really can't see the benefit of recording material that will never be watched.

I see no benefit in people's demand for bigger disks and MPEG4 compression. I see these devices for time-shifting your viewing, not for archiving material that neither belongs to you nor you will ever find time to watch.
    Much of the stuff I have recorded (and I have migrated it using public domain tools from previous HDDs back to - at the very earliest - 2007!!!) is ARCHIVED (and not really time shifted!) - like the last few Doctor Who series for example! I KNOW it is not supposed to be used for this and it is not secure against failures! It does mean I have series like Griff Rhys Jones "Mountain" - which may not get broadcast again.

Other stuff is "recorded so I have must have thought it was good at the time and I must get around to watching it":D
  • Options
    Forum Member

Definitely. I could use 4 or more some of the time.