The Missing

Loz KernowLoz Kernow Posts: 2,185
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Latest 8-parter staring James Nesbitt as a father who can't give up hope that his 5 year old son who vanished on holiday in France is still alive. Set in 2014 with flashbacks to the events of 2006.

I imagine Nesbitt will do a good job, he's got the right sort of face for portraying grief.

Worth a watch I reckon. Anyone else fancy it?

Comments

• Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loz Kernow wrote: »
    Latest 8-parter staring James Nesbitt as a father who can't give up hope that his 5 year old son who vanished on holiday in France is still alive. Set in 2014 with flashbacks to the events of 2006.

I imagine Nesbitt will do a good job, he's got the right sort of face for portraying grief.

Worth a watch I reckon. Anyone else fancy it?

At eight episodes it sounds like it's being dragged out,
  • LadyOfShalottLadyOfShalott Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sounds like it may be "the BBC's answer to Broadchurch". Or trying to be.

BBC1 drama has suffered from some poor writing recently - this one will have to be of better quality to sustain eight hour-long episodes.

Not sure about James Nesbitt - all I can think of is those awful holiday company ads...
  • Loz KernowLoz Kernow Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It does doesn't it?

In an interview in Radio Times Nesbitt says it took 20 weeks to film (in France and Belgium) and he isolated himself in an apartment, drank in bars and pounded the streets - like his character. He wanted to 'locate Tony's pain - the determination, the guts, the anger and frustration'.

He adds that he doesn't consider it Method acting - but that's what it sounds like to me!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BBC1 drama has suffered from some poor writing recently - this one will have to be of better quality to sustain eight hour-long episodes.

Not sure about James Nesbitt - all I can think of is those awful holiday company ads...

BIB Thanks for putting that image in my head - I won't be able to shake it now! :D
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    There's been some great BBC One dramas lately, Our Zoo was superb and I loved The Village even more than I did the first series, so hopefully this continues that run of form. The trailer looks promising.

Commissioned back in February 2013, originally titled Breakdown, so it had nothing to do with the success of Broadchurch, and eight episode series aren't that unusual these days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB Thanks for putting that image in my head - I won't be able to shake it now! :D

Oops.

:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's been some great BBC One dramas lately, Our Zoo was superb and I loved The Village even more than I did the first series, so hopefully this continues that run of form. The trailer looks promising.

Commissioned back in February 2013, originally titled Breakdown, so it had nothing to do with the success of Broadchurch, and eight episode series aren't that unusual these days.

Our Zoo was very good (and wasted by foolish scheduling). The Village? Not so good. Then there's been Our Girl (appalling), The Driver (poor) and New Tricks, which is about as stale as month-old bread.

I'm sure you realise that everyone in television knew Broadchurch was going to do very, very well before it was broadcast...
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EIGHT eps! Vowel-mangler in a syrup seems to bring out the generous side in Auntie Beeb.

Trailer was good and would`ve piqued my interest if not for the woefully dull central casting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Can't abide Nesbit and his woeful attempt at dramatics, those holiday ads were truly gut wrenchingly bad.
    It does doesn't it?

In an interview in Radio Times Nesbitt says it took 20 weeks to film (in France and Belgium) and he isolated himself in an apartment, drank in bars and pounded the streets - like his character. He wanted to 'locate Tony's pain - the determination, the guts, the anger and frustration'.

He adds that he doesn't consider it Method acting - but that's what it sounds like to me!

Dare say the viewers will be feeling the pain watching him perform, he just can't do method, as others have said this is the BBC's Broadchurch, I expect it to tank.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    EIGHT eps! Vowel-mangler in a syrup seems to bring out the generous side in Auntie Beeb.

Trailer was good and would`ve piqued my interest if not for the woefully dull central casting.

I'd love it if you gave it a go Straker, just for the pleasure of reading your comments on here! :)

Pleeeease!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love it if you gave it a go Straker, just for the pleasure of reading your comments on here! :)

Pleeeease!

Seconded,😃
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't abide Nesbit and his woeful attempt at dramatics, those holiday ads were truly gut wrenchingly bad.

Dare say the viewers will be feeling the pain watching him perform, he just can't do method, as others have said this is the BBC's Broadchurch, I expect it to tank.

I'm willing to give it a chance, although I'll probably record it. Nesbitt's got the major role so it'll be riding pretty much on his shoulders.
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't stomach Nesbitt so I'm out.
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I must admit when I saw the title and that Nesbitt was in it, I thought it was going to be about 'The Disappeared' and the Troubles. But I suppose that is still a bit raw for a drama series.

I'll give it a go, Brit abroad, no doubt not able to speak the language and struggling to solve a mystery, could be OK or as dull as dishwater.
  • BryanandLucBryanandLuc Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    I must admit when I saw the title and that Nesbitt was in it, I thought it was going to be about 'The Disappeared' and the Troubles. But I suppose that is still a bit raw for a drama series.

I'll give it a go, Brit abroad, no doubt not able to speak the language and struggling to solve a mystery, could be OK or as dull as dishwater.

I thought that too
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »

It hasn't even started and I'm wondering whether the mystery will be solved in 8 weeks time. Or leave us dangling.....
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first episode is on at 10.35 pm on BBC 1 Scotland
  • Daisy_DukeDaisy_Duke Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This looks as if it could be very good.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Pleeeease!
    Seconded,😃

After those kind words how could I possibly not?! I`m feeling performance anxiety already.... :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    After those kind words how could I possibly not?! I`m feeling performance anxiety already.... :D

Yay, thanks Straker. Now it's going to be worth tuning in... :)
  • Karen_Grant_WasKaren_Grant_Was Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    i think it looks really good, but I like James Nesbitt so I shall give it a go
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does doesn't it?

Sounds to me as if he didn't get on with the other cast and crew if he isolated himself.
  • elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind Nesbit.

I hope they get the sound right. Maybe they should withhold payment from the production company until it's confirmed viewers can hear the dialogue!
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member

Lol. You should know all about that being a Downton/Granchester fan. :D
    Not exactly up there with Last Tango or Happy Valley
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    Lol. You should know all about that being a Downton/Granchester fan. :D
    Not exactly up there with Last Tango or Happy Valley

Oh dear. Someone must be stalking me to know what I watch. What a funny thing to do.

I find the hysteria among BBC groupies who will not brook a murmur of criticism of their beloved corporation rather charming. If they only knew....

I'm wonder if you thought Our Girl was well written, or The Driver? Compared with, say, Cilla or The Widower?