Week 10 ("Around the World" Week) Dances

123457»

Comments

• alan_tracyalan_tracy Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    RoseAnne wrote: »
    I didn't get it from "Istanbul". I know it as "Istanbul, not Constantinople".

As for Edelweiss for the waltz. The music fits, but really, why oh why did they not take the opportunity to use a piece by Johann Strauss II. He was Austrian and was known as "The Waltz King" for heavens sake.
    They could have taken the opportunity to use a number of classical composers for a change. Also, why does the USA get two songs, and if they have to, then use something from the Great American Songbook. Lame.
    Edelweiss, from the Rodgers and Hammerstein US musical? So a pastiche of a Vienna waltz rather than the real thing? Curiously appropriate for the SCD world. For the next outing of the theme I suggest "Turning Japanese" by the Vapors and "Holiday in Cambodia" by the Dead Kennedys.
  • The SwampsterThe Swampster Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member

As for Edelweiss for the waltz. The music fits, but really, why oh why did they not take the opportunity to use a piece by Johann Strauss II. He was Austrian and was known as "The Waltz King" for heavens sake.
    They could have taken the opportunity to use a number of classical composers for a change. Also, why does the USA get two songs, and if they have to, then use something from the Great American Songbook. Lame.

I agree. If you've got only seven couples left in the show, and you're going to showcase an "around the world" theme, it's pretty pathetic if you can't manage to come up with a different country for each couple. I'd also question whether the USA should be included at all in "around the world" week, simply on the basis that American songs make up a very large proportion of the music used in non-theme weeks – but that's a separate issue. D minus for effort, Strictly!
  • bendymixerbendymixer Posts: 18,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why would they use a Strauss waltz for a Ballroom slow waltz - wrong timing Simon is not doing a Viennese Waltz probably why they are using Edelweiss which surprisingly for strictly is correct timing - many of the song selections this week are poor imo cannot understand why two usa both of which are dodgey tracks
  • MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Training Clip. Everyone seems to be looking good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Monaogg wrote: »

Thanks for posting that. I'm looking forward to seeing more of Sunetra's lovely arm movements.
  • bendymixerbendymixer Posts: 18,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Monaogg wrote: »

if they dance like in training will be hard to predict bottom 2
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bendymixer wrote: »
    Why would they use a Strauss waltz for a Ballroom slow waltz - wrong timing Simon is not doing a Viennese Waltz probably why they are using Edelweiss which surprisingly for strictly is correct timing - many of the song selections this week are poor imo cannot understand why two usa both of which are dodgey tracks

Simon may not be doing a Viennese waltz but Pixie is. Surely they could have used something from Johann Strauss II. Maybe it's down to what the band can do in the time and not being an orchestra. Maybe they could have called on the BBC concert orchestra to help out.
    All very poor IMO anyway.