How do you use a cut-throat razor

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,232
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My beard is so strong, I need 5 shaves a day. If I go a day without a shave, it's almost impossible to shave and remove the hair.

This constant shaving is costing me 15 quid per week in razors.

So, I bought a cut throat. But it's so sharp. I'm scared to use it. In the instructions, it says I need to sharpen the blade with a long strip of leather. WTF.:eek:

Any infor', appreciated. :D

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,506
    Forum Member
    Find a barbers which still use cut throats and ask them to give you a shave. Then either study how they do it, or talk to the barber about it and ask him to talk you through it whilst he does it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    What you want to do is skip a couple of those shaves and then try pushing the stubble back in REALLY hard.

If you're lucky, it'll go all the way up through your head and come out of the top where your hair used to be.

Then you can get rid of your wig .....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sancheeez wrote: »
    What you want to do is skip a couple of those shaves and then try pushing the stubble back in REALLY hard.

If you're lucky, it'll go all the way up through your head and come out of the top where your hair used to be.

Then you can get rid of your wig .....
    :D No, let it grow, then sell it to someone who makes handmade rugs. If it grows that fast, he'll have enough to do the floors in a 3-bedroom house within a few months, or make some matting for a log cabin. :D

Seriously, OP, cut-throat razors aren't for the faint-hearted. You could cut yourself quite badly, so get a barber to show you how to use one properly, or use depilatory creams instead. :)
  • UltrasonicUltrasonic Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The distressing thing is that the OP is female.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ultrasonic wrote: »
    Really? I thought the OP was a man who liked dressing in women's clothes. From what I can remember, his mother didn't like it, so he had to keep his dressing-up for his bedroom until recently. His mother once threw all his female clothes out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My beard is so strong, I need 5 shaves a day. If I go a day without a shave, it's almost impossible to shave and remove the hair.

This constant shaving is costing me 15 quid per week in razors.

So, I bought a cut throat. But it's so sharp. I'm scared to use it. In the instructions, it says I need to sharpen the blade with a long strip of leather. WTF.:eek:

Any infor', appreciated. :D

I don't think they will give a much better shave than some of the multi blade razors we have nowadays.

I think they use a hot cloth to open the pores, you could give that a try.
  • PlanetPlanet Posts: 1,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be very careful - especially if you've never used one before! Before you start, wash your face with soap to clear any dirt and moisten the skin, then use a good shaving foam (e.g. the stick ones) and brush. Cut downwards on your face, and upwards on your neck. And use a good aftershave lotion - it's hard to recommend one as everyone's skin is different!

Use a sharp blade - and take your time! You're bound to cut yourself, I've lost count the amount of times I've done that, and especially around the lip area - that really hurts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? I thought the OP was a man who liked dressing in women's clothes. From what I can remember, his mother didn't like it, so he had to keep his dressing-up for his bedroom until recently. His mother once threw all his female clothes out.

Robin, your memory is too good. :) I will consult a barber. To the chap who suggested it. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do dress up as a woman. My mother has accepted it now. I was in a straight line pencil skirt, high heels and fish nets last night. In the front room, when Corrie was on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,506
    Forum Member
    I will consult a barber. To the chap who suggested it. :D

Wahey! That was me! :D

Bear in mind, of course, that the more you shave the more you will need to. By shaving 5 times a day (even if this was a deliberate exageration) you will force the hair to grow quicker and, possibly, thicker.
  • mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ultrasonic wrote: »

Well that rules out my suggestion then !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nowt wrong in being a tranny. But the beard plays havoc with a dress, blouse or skirt. LOL.:D

Thanks for your advice.
  • liquidJPliquidJP Posts: 1,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well my first sugestion was going to be grow a beard, but that might not be erm... aproriate having read the rest of the thread ;)
    Still have seen worse of a sataurday evening....!

My second sugestion is therefore: carefully!

Have you considered electrolosys? It would be painfull and expensive but against £700 odd a year for razors...
  • ladydragonladydragon Posts: 3,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely go and see a traditional barber... It's much easier to get your head around it if you have a proper shave and see it in action so to speak...

To be honest, if you can't get the hang of a strop then you'd be better off using a regular, old fashioned, double edged razor and proper razor blades... A blunt cut throat is a horrendous instrument of torture... They are assembled in such a way to make it easier for someone else to shave you rather than you shave yourself... Double edged razors and blades are really inexpensive...

For a really close shave...

Soak a tea towel in warm water and wring out before holding against the face/neck... This will open the pores which will raise and slightly push the hairs forward and the warmth will soften them...

Use a traditional shave soap and brush... Damp brush in warm water and whizz around the shave soap before slathering over your face in a circular motion... A traditional shave soap contains natural oils or butters which will adhere to the hair to thicken it and also give 'slip' to aid the razor so it doesn't drag on the skin... Using the brush in a circular motion will gently massage the skin improving blood flow, giving a light exfoliation and also help lift the hair from the skin...

Use the blade in firm movements in the direction of the hair growth... Have it at a 45 deg angle to the skin... If the hairs point downwards then sweep the blade downwards in slightly overlapping strokes... Rinse blade to remove hairs clogging it after each stroke if needed... Try and avoid going over the same area twice to limit razor burn - with the right technique you won't need to do that... Rinse face and neck thoroughly with cool (not ice cold) water - this will close the pores and retract the hair...

IF you have particularly strong stubble and your skin is not particularly sensitive then you can double shave by repeating the above but using a much ligher, skimming action to catch any strays and also any lower level of stubble you missed first time around... If you easily get razor burn don't do this bit... Let your skin get used to the new regime first...

After shaving, do not apply aftershave or any scented products - a small pea sized amount of olive oil will work just fine and dandy as an economy moisturiser...

Traditional shaving is more about technique and taking a little more time - but you should get a much better shave if it's done right...

HTH x
  • MigsterMigster Posts: 4,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A-Friend wrote: »
    Wahey! That was me! :D

Bear in mind, of course, that the more you shave the more you will need to. By shaving 5 times a day (even if this was a deliberate exageration) you will force the hair to grow quicker and, possibly, thicker.

I could be wrong, but isn't that an urban myth i.e. the whole growing back quicker/thicker malarkey.
  • carnivalistcarnivalist Posts: 4,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Migster wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but isn't that an urban myth i.e. the whole growing back quicker/thicker malarkey.

I think so. What actually happens is that the ends of the hair get cut in such a way that makes them flatter and more easy to see. It's mainly a problem for the finer hair of women; the contrast in the prominence of a cut hair and an uncut one is more noticeable in this case.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Migster wrote: »

thats what ive always heard - but going from personal experience.... its not a myth, it really does happen.
  • Dr.PhloxDr.Phlox Posts: 2,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a good instructional video here

DP :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    I used a cut throat for a year now, and still do, (I'm 16). Cut throats are deadly and nearly every time you have a shave you will have at least 1 small cut on your face.

The trick is to make your face as soft as possible, by washing it with hot water. This makes the stubble softer, therefore easier to remove.

Then, apply more water to your face so that it is wet but not dripping. Then, if you use gel, mousse or foam, apply that to your face.

Then hold the blade in your right or left hand the blade bit starting at the top of your beard. Don't shave against it, unless you want a sore face for a couple of days.

Shave the hair off, then run the blade over again, applying water to the second time u run the blade along your face.

When you have finished, apply after shave balm or your face will be as red as a tomato and it will kill.

OR you could just go to a barber and tell him to do it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    5 times a day? Erm...OK, good forum this but too many people making up rubbish for the sake of it. Hows your wig ? (which you can't show us a picture of...convenient that :rolleyes: )
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    very carefully.
  • Granny WeatherwaxGranny Weatherwax Posts: 52,923
    Forum Member
    How do you use a cut-throat razor?

I tend to find that using one long sweeping movement from just below the left ear right around to just below the right ear does the trick.