Would it be advisable to use the Tor Browser?

FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Because after what has happened to it, I am reluctant to use it, so:

Is there an alternative to using Tor ( I don't mean Google Chrome or IE or Firefox)?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on your motives. As such, I don't think you'll get any useful advice.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tor has so many disabled features that it's only useful in certain cases (unless you live in totalitarian dictatorship).
    You can browse anonymously with Anonymous.org.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Opera with turbo mode bypasses most isp's censorship of torrent sites etc
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    FIFA1966 wrote: »
    Because after what has happened to it, I am reluctant to use it, so:

Is there an alternative to using Tor ( I don't mean Google Chrome or IE or Firefox)?

Well, if you do use it then you're likely to draw attention to yourself:

The NSA has been targeting the Tor anonymising system to spy on its users, suggests a report. German public broadcaster ARD said two Tor servers in Germany were actively being watched by the US spy agency. Citing information given by official sources, ARD said almost anyone searching for Tor or installing it could be watched by the NSA. Tor hides users' location and identity by randomly bouncing data through some of the machines making up the network.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28162273

Although it's not at the same level of online anonymity, most web browsers these days have some form of private browsing function.
  • esperantoesperanto Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    Well, if you do use it then you're likely to draw attention to yourself:
    That is the elephant in the room!

It is deliciously ironic really that those seeking anonymity and trying to "Go under the radar" are the very people the authorities will be targeting with the most vigour.:D
  • alias aliasalias alias Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    I also read criminals set up servers to try and get data, unless thats just a scare story and its not possible, how secure is it meant to be?
  • FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about using VPN?
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    What about using VPN?

Why don't you start with telling us why what you want to do - different uses need different things.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Why don't you start with telling us why what you want to do - different uses need different things.

Even though I've used it before, my intentions are clearly, strictly, law-abiding.

I also want to find out why is it difficult to hack the entire network of Tor and shut it down.
    Forum Member
    Why would anyone wish to shut it down?

If there is a place where almost everyone with something to hide, and folk up to no good gather, the authorities will just pay it very close attention.;-)
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even though I've used it before, my intentions are clearly, strictly, law-abiding.

I also want to find out why is it difficult to hack the entire network of Tor and shut it down.

It is because the data passes through 2 other machines that are part of the Tor network, and each ads an encryption layer, like the layers of an onion, or as it was originally called The Onion Router. Aside from the encryption and software the data is passing over the internet just like any other traffic. Tor isn't centralised it is made of up Tor nodes which are just users.

It isn't completely secure as you never know if there are un-trusted nodes. Also when traffic eventually breaks out there can by original 'fingerprints' which could identify the original person potentially. Also we've no idea of the capabilities of the agencies, and whether they had a part it defining or modifying the encryption algorithms. It is clear that one US agency funded RSA for many years, and the RSA suite is the most prevalent encryption algorithms in use today.

To recommend a solution tell us what they are trying to achieve.
  • mark_bmark_b Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The US government operates many of the TOR exit nodes so if you are using it to access a website where you aren't using https then they can see your web traffic, browser info etc., which makes it surprisingly easy to identify you. Sometimes they can even see your login details if the site does not have secure login. Facebook only started using secure browsing in 2011 and only made it the default for all users in August last year.

The best that any of us can do really is to encrypt as much web traffic as you can, try using the HTTPS Everywhere plugin from EFF.

Here is a good website which can help you choose which tools you use to access the internet https://prism-break.org/en/
    Forum Member
    mark_b wrote: »

The best that any of us can do really is to encrypt as much web traffic as you can, try using the HTTPS Everywhere plugin from EFF.
    Again, a perfect way to draw attention to yourself.

"Hello Mr ISP, I represent MI6, I want you to install this software on all your servers, it compiles a list of all users who are using encryption add-ons......"
  • mark_bmark_b Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    esperanto wrote: »
    Again, a perfect way to draw attention to yourself.

"Hello Mr ISP, I represent MI6, I want you to install this software on all your servers, it compiles a list of all users who are using encryption add-ons......"
    Which is exactly why we need to make it so that this is normal behaviour and not unusual. The more web traffic that is encrypted by default, the better for everybody.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest though, do they care about most stuff or is it mostly to find out who wanted $50M ransom for the Journalist, or who beheaded him?
    Forum Member
    Probably not, I guess their priorities vary over time, cyber-crime comes in many forms, from foreign powers hacking government sites, to people blackmailing companies, money laundering, drug dealing, it's a long list.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly, and they are only concentrated on threats to their nation etc, I'm not sure what the OP wants to hide, I guess we'll never know..
    Forum Member
    Well presumably, the OP wants to hide his/her identity, IP address, location and sites visited etc.

The question is WHY?:confused:

Pretty much everyone up to no good on the net wants to do the same, so what better starting point for the authorities than: Who is doing the above?
    Forum Member
    The question is WHY Not, Why should every site be able to know were you live, why should FB be able to track every single site you go on even if you aren't a member, Why should Google be able to read all your Emails and track you around the web.

Waits for 'Nothing to hide nothing to fear'.
    Forum Member
    The question is WHY Not, Why should every site be able to know were you live, why should FB be able to track every single site you go on even if you aren't a member, Why should Google be able to read all your Emails and track you around the web.

Because that is how you pay for the site. If you want to use Facebook and Google you need to pay up. That's why.
    Forum Member
    Because that is how you pay for the site. If you want to use Facebook and Google you need to pay up. That's why.

I don't think site owners get paid for having a FB Like button which tracks you Member or not.
    Forum Member
    I don't think site owners get paid for having a FB Like button which tracks you Member or not.

You are using Facebooks service when you click that button.
    Forum Member
    You are using Facebooks service when you click that button.

You don't have to click it or even be a member of FB for it to track you.

http://www.abine.com/blog/2012/how-facebook-buttons-track-you/

Do you trust them to respect "Do Not Track" on the browser some do ignore the setting.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Waits for 'Nothing to hide nothing to fear'.
    How do you think they make billions while charging the end user nothing at all? you ARE the product being sold to advertisers, your browser hands over cookies when you load images that are hosted on another site, not even the one you're browsing. The point is that then when you browse the web you are presented with ads that advertisers are paying for, which is allowing Facebook or whoever to offer you the service for free, even though it costs a lot to run all that infrastructure. If people don't want this, they'll have to get used to paying subscription fees for all the popular sites they like..

Another common misconception is that "the advertising doesn't work on me, because I don't click and buy things from them", most of it is brand building and awareness raising so that when you do buy, even if it's later on then you consider that brand and associate a feeling as to whether you warm to it or not and whether it is targeted at you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What good will a VPN do?