Series 8 Won't Be While Autumn 2014

124»

Comments

• Richard_WatsonRichard_Watson Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    News Sources were reporting it (Three years with an option for two more) soon after Matt was cast.

Handy Rule-Of-Thumb. If a newpaper story quotes "sources" or "insiders" it's pretty sure to be made up.

Plus it's The Daily Mail!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    I have no problem waiting nine months for S8 as long as it's a full series and no splits. Having to wait nine months for Series 7A and it being over in less then a month was just ridiculous.
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt's contract was for three years*, I believe.

So the choice at the end of the three years would have been between leaving and extending the contract. His decision would have been influenced by things like Gillan leaving, being offered film work, and Moffat on his knees begging him to stay for the 50th.

Not the same thing as "never going to do more than three years".

That's how I'd imagine it was, anyway. :D

*Or three series

That would seem a standard contract agreement for a long-running character. Actors cast as James Bond are usually contracted for three films, plus an option for a fourth. That was the deal Daniel Craig signed, though he recently broke with tradition and, having completed his third film, signed on for two more.
  • lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not been the same since the David Tennant heyday, eh? Frankly, that statement makes me sad, because, as I've said many times, 2008 WAS the ultimate Who year. It DOMINATED from January through to December in spin off form when the main show wasn't on for, ahem, 13 weeks.

And yet, I personally feel that the quality of the show is better than then. Yes, series 7 wasn't great, but Matt Smith has been so good... and I'm so hyped for the Anniversary I can't tell you, because of what they are doing with the show. And we have Peter Capaldi coming in, which I really am excited to see.

So for the claim to be made that the show is no longer in its heyday is saddening, but justified. The scheduling is just ridiculous. And no you buffoons, it's nothing to do with Matt. Is it production chaos? Is it money? If they basically cut an entire series this year just so they could film that damn Anniversary episode in 3d you might yet see me on the news for murder.

Now, that said, if it comes back for an uninterrupted run in autumn next year, I'll be happy. Gives Capaldi plenty of time to introduce Doctor 12. If it's coming back for 5 episodes in September then the following 6 in March/April of 2015 then that is, frankly, bull crap.

And I don't care if I sound "Entitled." I think asking for more than 5 episodes of a brand new Doctor, especially after we will have waited a good year and a half to actually see him in action, seems pretty justified to me. You know, I really, really like Moffat and I love what he's done to the show. The writing, the look, everything. But if all he can make happen is a few episodes here and there, maybe he really shouldn't be doing it.