Monster's Ball

GlinnyGlinny Posts: 4,426
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Watched this the other night as we had recorded this on Sky+ a couple of weeks ago.

I am sorry but I could not see how Halle Berry won a Best Actress Oscar for this role. Did I miss something?

Billy Joe Thornton was excellent in it. I was also surprised to see Heath Ledger playing his son in the film.

Some content of the film was very strong and shocking. I am not talking about the sexual scenes. A good film though and glad I saw it.

Comments

• GellymissGellymiss Posts: 1,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think her winning was more of a political move, rather than based on her talent. She played a slightly different character than she normally does and also looked as plain as is possible for her.... but really, Hollywood wanted to reward the first black actress to win an oscar.

What has she done since????:o
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gellymiss wrote: »

Um,,,, Catwoman? Ok maybe not :D

Take away the graphic "sex" scenes in this movie and it's quite bland and plodding....
  • Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think her winning was more of a political move, rather than based on her talent. She played a slightly different character than she normally does and also looked as plain as is possible for her.... but really, Hollywood wanted to reward the first black actress to win an oscar.

No, that accolade belongs to Whoopi Goldberg.
  • marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,619
    Forum Member
    Sweet FA wrote: »

Actually it belongs to Hattie McDaniel who won best supporting actress for her role in Gone With the Wind back in 1939. Whoppi Goldberg came second in 1990 but also won best supporting actress for Ghost.

Halle Berry was the first black woman to win a Best Actress Oscar. None have been nominated for Best Actress since.

As for Monster's Ball, well it was pretty awful but I agree, Berry's win was more of a political statement than a deserved win but it was also a necessary statement IMHO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sweet FA wrote: »

I was referring to Oscar for Best Actress. I already knew about Hattie McDaniel, being a big GWTW fan..
    Forum Member
    I was referring to Oscar for Best Actress. I already knew about Hattie McDaniel, being a big GWTW fan..

I wasn't dissing you, I was pointing out to SweetFA that Whoopi Goldberg wasn't the first black actress to win an academy award. I thought you were talking about best actress in a leading role.
  • marlingmarling Posts: 3,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glinny wrote: »
    Watched this the other night as we had recorded this on Sky+ a couple of weeks ago.

I am sorry but I could not see how Halle Berry won a Best Actress Oscar for this role. Did I miss something?

Billy Joe Thornton was excellent in it. I was also surprised to see Heath Ledger playing his son in the film.

Some content of the film was very strong and shocking. I am not talking about the sexual scenes. A good film though and glad I saw it.

Wasn't this discussed to death at the time :rolleyes: She got the Oscar, get over it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marjangles wrote: »
    I wasn't dissing you, I was pointing out to SweetFA that Whoopi Goldberg wasn't the first black actress to win an academy award. I thought you were talking about best actress in a leading role.

No, no, I know you weren't.:)
  • newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    Mediocre overhyped film, Thornoton & Ledger were the best things in it.
    Berry as discussed above won for all the wrong reasons.
    It was the end of her career really and she's done nothing noteworthy since, I think she's an appaulling actress, very good looking but no range.
    Forum Member
    newkid30 wrote: »
    Mediocre overhyped film, Thornoton & Ledger were the best things in it.
    Berry as discussed above won for all the wrong reasons.
    It was the end of her career really and she's done nothing noteworthy since, I think she's an appaulling actress, very good looking but no range.

Most of what she's done has been trash but there have been plenty of Oscar nominees and winners who have suffered similar fates, Louise Fetcher springs to mind as does Marlee Matlin.

I would recommend 'Things we lost in the Fire' though. She is very good in that, not Oscar worthy but better than average. Has to be said though, she is outshone by bother Benicio Del Toro and (of all people) David Duchovney.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Finally got around to watching this and what a mind numbingly boring hour and a half it was. Terrible ending too (by which time I was losing the will to live)
  • newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    Yes, totally over hyped film, I thought Thornton was awesome in it, but Berry as stated above and at the time won for the wrong reasons, an extremely medicore actress who's done nothing since.
    I thought the film was only OK personally.:)
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally got around to watching this and what a mind numbingly boring hour and a half it was. Terrible ending too (by which time I was losing the will to live)

It was only popular because Halle got her Berry's out.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    revolver44 wrote: »
    It was only popular because Halle got her Berry's out.

:DSince you mention it - the film was not without some merit I'll admit that much!