Options

Later... with Jools Holland - Series 44

Comments

• Options
    LabLab Posts: 2,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Where is the innovative new music? So much of it sounds like a constant re-tread even when new bands or artists come on. Where is the "wow" factor?

You're looking for the Holy Grail there, Rich. Everything in music has been derivative of what has gone on before. It's not for nothing that David Quantick once wrote 'Pop will eat itself' (I think, quoting Jim Bob from Carter The Unstoppable Machine, and also giving film score writer Clint Mansell the name of his band).

We have 60 years of pop music to look back on. How many innovative artists (by which I mean original, or doing new things with old forms) have we heard in proportion to the amount of acts just retreading?

Don't worry, they'll come, it'll just take us 10 years to recognise their genius. I look forward to future Q writers and the like to point out to us who we ignored. :D
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    surfking wrote: »
    To be honest these new world bands that Jools has on Later are one of the few acts that are really worth listening to. I haven't been disappointed by them yet. Surprisingly I also thought Coldplay were quite good and I'm not a fan. As for the rest...meh!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've noticed that established acts always seem to bring their A-game to any Jools show (though when it's not been live they can of course do an improved repeat performance and edit the other one out)

Portishead - https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=jools+holland+portishead

Björk - Bachelorette - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_RSlsnbCEM

Radiohead - There There - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYlR7ycoodc

Radiohead - Weird Fishes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57q2uFaMjNs

Thom Yorke - The Clock - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzjtyoYSs98

Paolo Nutini - Candy - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg25464J-Ao

Paolo Nutini - 10/10 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4gwOYwfcz4
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Damon Albarn - well, it was interesting at least and he certainly seemed to be enjoying himself. Would like to hear more to see what other songs sound like.
    He seems to be the new Paul Simon in his love/quest for World Music.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lab wrote: »
    You're repeating yourself now Doghouse.

I've seen you express the same opinion before (not necessarily on this thread). Not that it bothers me particularly, as your opinion of anything does not upset me, I just thought you might like to know you've said it before.

tl;dr "Nurse! He's up again!" :D

Thank you for your input.

But I'm pretty sure that not everyone, reads every post of mine, on every thread.

Perhaps you do?

Should I feel flattered, or just express sympathy?

In the context of the discussions, I thought the point I was making was worth repeating.

For the record, I commit very little of what anyone says to memory. I don't often even look at who said what.

I know one or two, bookmark every discussion to which they have contributed.

"Too much to do, so little time."

Please don't take offence, as I'm trying to reply in the same spirit intended.
    (I can't stand smilies).
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    He seems to be the new Paul Simon in his love/quest for World Music.

I definetely agree with you there. He's worked a lot with foreign artists who no one's ever heard of until they came into contact with Damon.

I'll be watching the Friday night show to see what else he's got up his sleeve! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent show tonight imo.

Coldplay, The Black Keys and Damon Albarn were all on top form and i liked all of their stuff. Damon Albarn's music was quite eclectic and think his solo album could be quite interesting.

The 2nd song by Coldplay, 1st song by Black Keys and last song by Damon Albarn were all personal favourites, i thought they were excellent.
  • Options
    ennui 57ennui 57 Posts: 1,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was really enjoyable last night.

I can understand why people might criticise, but where else on mainstream tv do you get to see live music of (relatively) diverse styles, where the musicians seem to have mutual respect despite those differences of style?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To be fair you'd come across as a bit of a dick if when Jools asked "Who have you enjoyed in the room tonight?" and you answered "none of them, they're all shit!" :D
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Excellent show tonight imo.

Coldplay, The Black Keys and Damon Albarn were all on top form and i liked all of their stuff. Damon Albarn's music was quite eclectic and think his solo album could be quite interesting.

The 2nd song by Coldplay, 1st song by Black Keys and last song by Damon Albarn were all personal favourites, i thought they were excellent.

Just finished watching it on iPlayer and really enjoyed it.

I loved the last song Damon Albarn did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Next week Aloe Blacc, Little Dragon, The Horrors, Afghan Whigs and Sturgill Simpson.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next week Aloe Blacc, Little Dragon, The Horrors, Afghan Whigs and Sturgill Simpson.

I have an Afghan Whigs album, Black Love. Haven't a clue who the others are.
  • Options
    player1player1 Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A mixed bag on Jools this week. I was never a Blur fan so it came as no great surprise that Damon Albarn left me cold. I do like Coldplay and was curious to see if they have evolved with "Ghost Stories" , although strangely of the three songs featured the one that I preferered was the most "Coldplayesque", the Avicii collaboration "A sky full of stars", I'll even forgive Chris Martin his "elderly relative at a wedding" dancing - as aleady noted I can well imagine this in a stadium setting.
    The biggest find of the night though was London singer/songwriter Tom Hickox. His performance of "The Lisbon Maru" sent me straight off to iTunes to check out the stunning debut album "War Peace and Diplomacy".
  • Options
    ennui 57ennui 57 Posts: 1,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Crikey, I haven't heard of any of them. I'm so old!
    Hopefully I'll enjoy what I might hear. :)
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most weeks it's as if the line-up must have been chosen by Bob Harris's granddad. I can think of just one or two stand-out performances over the years, such as early appearances by Radiohead and Portishead, but there's such a lot of turgid old dad-rock and token, dull "world music" that waiting for the very occasional highlight is like wilfully submitting to torture.
  • Options
    Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    Most weeks it's as if the line-up must have been chosen by Bob Harris's granddad. I can think of just one or two stand-out performances over the years, such as early appearances by Radiohead and Portishead, but there's such a lot of turgid old dad-rock and token, dull "world music" that waiting for the very occasional highlight is like wilfully submitting to torture.

Bizarre post of the day.

Perhaps you're the "token" TotP person watching rather than an open-minded music fan.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,631
    Forum Member
    Jools Holland being criticised for choosing music and artistes based on his own eclectic and wide-ranging musical preference shocker! :D

TBH some of the younger two and half (struggling to reach that difficult third) chord thrash bands that *are* on would find the bar emptying down at the local pub.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ennui 57 wrote: »

Off the top of my own head Aloe Blacc is a US soul singer who had a recent UK no. 1 only a few weeks ago. The Horrors are a UK indie band, Little Dragon are a Swedish electronic band and the rest no idea.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm old, the Afghan Whigs have been going since 1986. Although they split for a while.
    The rest this week have been around for 10 minutes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't want to think of myself as old and even though i've heard the name Aloe Blacc I couldn't name a tune and I haven't heard of the others.

Sometimes it's good to find new stuff though :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm old, the Afghan Whigs have been going since 1986. Although they split for a while.
    The rest this week have been around for 10 minutes.
    Just heard that it's their first album or gig for 16 years.

Never heard of them myself though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Really don't like the new credits.

It's the first time i've seen them as in previous weeks i've turned over a couple of minutes in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've actually heard that Aloe Blacc song before :D
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It seems the show is struggling to get hold of some names to actually draw the viewer in to watch. I know nothing about any of these. They might be great, but we surely need at least a couple of bigger named acts appearing. This series has seemed poor in comparison to previous ones to me.