If Scotland vote NO.......

Comments

• NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Well, there you go.

I agree with momma11 completely.
    Speaking as an "immigrant" (:D), I've always found the vast majority of jocks to be lovely folks but, even so, you'd have to be daft to deny that there are those who just plain "don't like the English".

Meh 'Jocks' >:(:D :D

My dad is English and has been living here for 40 years and has never came across any hatred or 'don't like you cause you are English' or etc. comments. He is a chilled out guy maybe he has been lucky... He got some grief in Manchester a few years back, started off as banter calling him 'a scotch' then they got agressive with us..prejudice is everywhere right enough. I am proud of my English heritage, it is where half of my family come from.

I am voting yes because I would like Scotland to deal with her own affairs, and voting yes does not mean we have to have Salmond in power either, although I do appreciate the free prescriptions, tuition fee etc. I will give them that. In an indepenent Scotland we can vote for who we want, it isn't a given for the SNP.

I have 3 other English friends that live near me who are voting yes too. I would say there are as many English folk who don't like the Scottish, as Scottish who don't like the English..meh..I don't fully understand it myself. Chips on shoulders/complex/whatever the lot of them!
  • marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,680
    Forum Member
    momma11 wrote: »
    But we aren't a provincial region , we are a separate nation , supposedly equal .
    This sentence of yours is one example why most YES voters will vote that way .
    If we are lucky to have this much , then why not have the lot , how much better off would we be without Westminster governing us .
    Westminster policies do not work in Scotland , or even in the north of England , all we are asking for is the right to self-determination , we aren't having the best of both worlds as the important policies are dictated down south by a government that nobody in Scotland has voted for .
    How many times can a nation's voice be ignored before they demand to go it alone ?

Nobody in Scotland voted Tory or Lib Dem?
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,524
    Forum Member
    we aren't having the best of both worlds as the important policies are dictated down south by a government that nobody in Scotland has voted for .

36% of Scots who voted, voted for the Tories or Libdems i.e. the Government.

Probably similar to the North of England or Wales.
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    marjangles wrote: »
    Nobody in Scotland voted Tory or Lib Dem?
    Nobody who would admit to it even if they did.
  • marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,680
    Forum Member
    abarthman wrote: »
    Nobody who would admit to it even if they did.

Maybe not but official records show almost 900,000 Scots did. The Coalition holds 12 Scottish Westminster seats and two of them are cabinet ministers.

It might not suit the narrative of the independence movement but the idea that nobody in Scotland voted for the current Westminster government is just plain wrong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it will probably be because Westminster will offer a deal they cant resist.
    The one good thing will be is the end of Alec Salmond`s political aspirations
    :p
  • tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    "That was a Party Political Broadcast on behalf of the Scottish National Party."

A splendid reply by the way! :D
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to the Scots voting 'No' - as we all know they will, so we don't have to hear about this pie in the sky notion any more and Alex Salmond can bugger off somewhere else.
  • Larry_KirstenLarry_Kirsten Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    I want them to vote yes just so that we can get to see the entertaining car crash that happens afterwards, and be in a position to point and laugh from afar

Schadenfreude? Yes, probably, but who cares? :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    Funny, that's exactly why I hope they vote No
  • Larry_KirstenLarry_Kirsten Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Doltoi wrote: »
    Funny, that's exactly why I hope they vote No

I can see it from that pov as well... win/win situation then :)
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    ecckles wrote: »
    it will probably be because Westminster will offer a deal they cant resist.
    The one good thing will be is the end of Alec Salmond`s political aspirations
    :p

Don't be daft.

It's kinda like shooting a gun.
    You only have to hit your target once to get the desired result so you just keep on pulling the trigger until you finally hit something.
  • MonsterMunch99MonsterMunch99 Posts: 2,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there's a no vote, it suggests Scottish voters are rather hypocritical.
    They vote for the SNP in elections but, when it comes right down to it, they don't really agree with the SNP's goals.

Nonsense.

The SNP have policies other than independence. It's perfectly feasible that people voted for them in the Scottish election but did not support independence back in 2011. It's perfectly possible that people changed their minds in the 3 years between the votes.

You might also want to check the overall % share of the votes in 2011. Like most elections where it is not a two horse race, the SNP did not get more than 50% in either the constituency vote or the list votes. So, that would suggest - by your erroneous logic - that a no vote would be in line with how people voted in the election.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    I want them to vote yes just so that we can get to see the entertaining car crash that happens afterwards, and be in a position to point and laugh from afar

Schadenfreude? Yes, probably, but who cares? :)

So you'd be disappointed if they actually did well under independence? How unpleasant!
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    According to this the only way an independent scotland isn't ****ed is using their own currency...

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/aug/14/independent-scotland-economy-crash-sterling-ronald-macdonald
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If there's a no vote, it suggests Scottish voters are rather hypocritical.
    They vote for the SNP in elections but, when it comes right down to it, they don't really agree with the SNP's goals.

I suspect that a significant number of Scottish voters endorse the SNP simply out of a sense of "sticking it to the English" so it'll be interesting to see if they actually have the courage of their convictions when it comes to the referendum.

I suspect they do it because it's a viable alternative to Labour and the Tories.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But we aren't a provincial region , we are a separate nation , supposedly equal .
    If we are lucky to have this much , then why not have the lot , how much better off would we be without Westminster governing us .
    Westminster policies do not work in Scotland , or even in the north of England , all we are asking for is the right to self-determination , we aren't having the best of both worlds as the important policies are dictated down south by a government that nobody in Scotland has voted for .
    How many times can a nation's voice be ignored before they demand to go it alone ?

Silly me I thought you were part of the UK
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Nonsense.

The SNP have policies other than independence. It's perfectly feasible that people voted for them in the Scottish election but did not support independence back in 2011. It's perfectly possible that people changed their minds in the 3 years between the votes.

It's also perfectly possible that SNP supporters like the idea of a party that advocates independence much more than the actual prospect of independence itself.

We shall see, I guess.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    According to this the only way an independent scotland isn't ****ed is using their own currency...

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/aug/14/independent-scotland-economy-crash-sterling-ronald-macdonald

That's what I've said all along.
    Salmond would probably have won his campaign had he simply stated from the outset that Scotland would create and issue its own currency.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member

Och, the poor wee Scots with their low unemployment, their booming economy, their free university education, their free prescriptions, their free eye tests. Och, the shame of it.
  • D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have the feeling there is not much love for the Scots in this thread! :D
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    D_Mcd4 wrote: »

Which is a shame, since most of them have done nothing to deserve any hatred!
    Forum Member

I just think a lot of people are sick to the back teeth of the whinging that some Scots like to indulge in. I'd have more respect for them if they stood up and said:

"We've done very nicely out of the Union, thank you, and we gained enormously from being a partner in the British Empire. We've got a great quality of life at the moment and are doing rather well for ourselves but we think we can do a bit better on our own and would prefer to have all decisions made in Scotland".

Instead, we get the tedious implied narrative that "th' English aar stealin' oor monae!"
  • D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just think a lot of people are sick to the back teeth of the whinging that some Scots like to indulge in. I'd have more respect for them if they stood up and said:

"We've done very nicely out of the Union, thank you, and we gained enormously from being a partner in the British Empire. We've got a great quality of life at the moment and are doing rather well for ourselves but we think we can do a bit better on our own and would prefer to have all decisions made in Scotland".

Instead, we get the tedious implied narrative that "th' English aar stealin' oor monae!"

The policies you highlighted, " free university education, their free prescriptions, their free eye tests" are devolved issues. You sound awfully angry and bitter about it. Come and live here and you can have them too. :D
    Forum Member
    The policies you highlighted, " free university education, their free prescriptions, their free eye tests" are devolved issues. You sound awfully angry and bitter about it. Come and live here and you can have them too. :D

I never said otherwise. My point was 'what are you moaning about?'