Interview with Tristan

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
Forum Member
Some interesting insights into how the show is produced. He also used to room with Aljaz. I may be thinking about that for some time :blush:.

http://www.macmaniacs.org/macmusings/interview-with-tristan-october-15-2014#comments

Comments

• BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a great interview - thank you! I could hear his voice as I read his words! :D
  • dippydancingdippydancing Posts: 9,428
    Forum Member
    Wow- so many of my questions about SCD answered all in one place- completely fascinating.
    Poor guy, having to choreograph to a piece of music he hated- no wonder the Foxtrot seemed rather lack-lustre.
    And given that he says they have more influence over things on DWTS, I'm not surprised Artem's looking more relaxed right now.
    Thanks for posting.
  • Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love that Tristan is so honest.
  • mad_madge_morrimad_madge_morri Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for posting this. It was really interesting
  • fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tristan always gives such straight forward honest answers. There's no 'side' to him. Refreshing. :)

Really hope they use him on ITT.

Thanks for posting :)
  • RednellRednell Posts: 2,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice interview, and he's answered some questions that I've been silently wondering about. He seems a lovely guy.
  • jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that. He seems lovely and as others have said, great to finally have some answers on how it works. I hope he's back next year with a real contender.

I am sad that the pros can't reject a song they hate. With some - like the Superman paso - I can imagine that the producers are so in love with some aspect of it, like being able to make Karen hang from the building, that they want to do it whatever the couple think. But with a foxtrot to ABBA with neither a dress or a set that you can imagine anyone was that proud of, I can't see why they wouldn't let him change it if he really pushed to do so. And if he was trying to get it changed the week of the dance (If I've not misunderstood) that must have made it even more difficult to learn for both of them. Shame.
  • Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a nice guy he seems. Interesting that in his gentle, never meaning to be controversial way, he gives grounds to many of the things that James has been shouting about on Twitter. Change a-coming??? :cool:
  • MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If his point (which I doubt it, it just sounds like he's saying he doesn't like ABBA for the sake of saying he doesn't like ABBA which...we all have flaws) was that the evil producers have too much demonic say over the music choices, then he rather undercuts it by saying that the music he would least have wanted to dance to ended up being the couple's favourite routine.
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love that Tristan is so honest.

He won't be back next year ...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Monkseal wrote: »
    If his point (which I doubt it, it just sounds like he's saying he doesn't like ABBA for the sake of saying he doesn't like ABBA which...we all have flaws) was that the evil producers have too much demonic say over the music choices, then he rather undercuts it by saying that the music he would least have wanted to dance to ended up being the couple's favourite routine.

Don't you love inconsistency though? Anything that proves we're messy, ordinary, fuddled human beings is good and, in this case, a guarantee of him telling how it was rather than speaking to an agenda. The way I see it is that he is lucky Mamma Mia turned out to be his favourite routine but that is owing entirely to his complete (and lucky) sweetness of character. The producers are still demonic. :o
  • aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ah, I can kinda get what he was saying in that from the point of view of choreographing a foxtrot it wasn't the best fit - but with Jennifer bonding with it and relaxing into it more he enjoyed it because of that, in spite of the ABBA-ness of it :D

He does sound like a lovely guy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pet Monkey wrote: »
    Don't you love inconsistency though? Anything that proves we're messy, ordinary, fuddled human beings is good and, in this case, a guarantee of him telling how it was rather than speaking to an agenda. The way I see it is that he is lucky Mamma Mia turned out to be his favourite routine but that is owing entirely to his complete (and lucky) sweetness of character. The producers are still demonic. :o

She has a name - Louise Rainbow

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2013/louise-rainbow
  • MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aggs wrote: »
    Ah, I can kinda get what he was saying in that from the point of view of choreographing a foxtrot it wasn't the best fit - but with Jennifer bonding with it and relaxing into it more he enjoyed it because of that, in spite of the ABBA-ness of it :D

He does sound like a lovely guy.

He does.

I remember Letitia Dean saying in Series 5 that she preferred to dance to pop music over "traditional" choices because it helped her connect with the performance side of dancing more if it was a song she knew and liked and could get a bit campy with. There's also the famous clip in Series 3 of Zoe Ball spitting the dummy (jokily) because the traditional paso track she was given sounded like "clown music". If Jennifer did her best (in his eyes) and had the best time with an "inappropriate" music choice where's the harm? Things like people being stuffed into costumes they clearly don't want to wear and designed to make them look stupid bother me far more (*cough*SCOTT*cough*).

As for DWTS, someone there this week danced a Charleston to Cheryl Cole. Sometimes I think maybe a comparative lack of control could be a good thing if that's the choice the pros are actively making... :p
  • anothermianothermi Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strange. I'm sure that's not her real name.

It's "Evil Moira Ross In A Rainbow Wig". (™ Monkseal) :D
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that's what I'd prefer too, seems more natural.

A lot of the music choices on DWTS this season have been weird, just so weird. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anothermi wrote: »
    Strange. I'm sure that's not her real name.

It's "Evil Moira Ross In A Rainbow Wig". (™ Monkseal) :D

Glad you said something there… I had that spooky frisson you get when you suddenly imagine the person you're talking to may be a minor demon. Henry was too cruel just to introduce her like that, even in daylight hours.
  • boab34boab34 Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    further proof that Simon is not the arrogant celeb that some believe as Tristan likes him a lot

reminds me of Ricky Whittle who everyone said was arrogant yet still keeps in touch with the SCD pros 5 years on despite his current success in the US
  • holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for rooting this out - I really enjoyed reading it.
  • LazySusanLazySusan Posts: 6,413
    Forum Member
    Is Tristan's wife a dancer as well?
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tristan - honest and pleasant with it :)

I'm not keen on producers deciding who gets what music. It makes the show open to manipulation - with some couples potentially getting good songs / themes (especially when it matters) and others being saddled with less suitable ones. I'd rather the pros were in charge of their own destiny.
  • dippydancingdippydancing Posts: 9,428
    Forum Member
    He does.

I remember Letitia Dean saying in Series 5 that she preferred to dance to pop music over "traditional" choices because it helped her connect with the performance side of dancing more if it was a song she knew and liked and could get a bit campy with. There's also the famous clip in Series 3 of Zoe Ball spitting the dummy (jokily) because the traditional paso track she was given sounded like "clown music". If Jennifer did her best (in his eyes) and had the best time with an "inappropriate" music choice where's the harm? Things like people being stuffed into costumes they clearly don't want to wear and designed to make them look stupid bother me far more (*cough*SCOTT*cough*).

As for DWTS, someone there this week danced a Charleston to Cheryl Cole. Sometimes I think maybe a comparative lack of control could be a good thing if that's the choice the pros are actively making... :p

Very fair points to remind us that it probably wouldn't be a ballroomer's paradise if the pro/celebs had free rein, but at least we'd be voting/not voting on *their* idiosyncracies rather than the producers'. Seems fairer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The pros should at the very outset select the dance order and the music from the celeb's music collection.

Given that they make the pro-celeb pairings well before the opening show and the celebs and pros know the pairings before that show they have plenty of time to organise the music.

That way the pros can select the dance order based on the celeb's personality, age and music tastes; and the music will be very familiar to the celebs.

There is enough diversity amongst the celebs to ensure a diversity of music.

The producers can and should discuss the celeb's music collection at the time the contracts are signed to see what kind of music they will be comfortable.
  • Ellie_Ellie_ Posts: 1,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tristan is such a winner. He seems really involved with fansites and such.

I also like that their last routine was his favourite one, purely for how much Jenny enjoyed it. Very sweet comment.

Wish he'd been on the show longer. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting question
    Since the SCD dynamic is different from that of DWTS, we’re curious as to how you like the speedy voting process followed by immediate taping of the results show which airs the following night.

They can stop the pretence of talking about "last night's show"