Options

Jake Wood just has 'it'

Comments

• Options
    MoonbeanMoonbean Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's a brilliant dancer and a lovely person. A winning combination IMO. :)
  • Options
    Mrs BBVMrs BBV Posts: 3,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is my opinion of course but to watch him is like watching a person ooze charisma, being able to turn their hand to anything. I saw him in a war film once, also being able turn his talents in the serious arena. I like him....one of these men who can just capture attention wherever he goes. The way he carries himself is helping his dancing flourish.

The sum of the parts is the full package. Individually of course they shouldn't be......baldy, ginger, skinny but put it all together and something happens that makes my pulse race. I don't watch EE but I do think he's sex on legs and I find him far more erotic to watch than Thom. :o

The hips, the laconic sex appeal. You are so right, whatever IT is, he has IT in spades.
  • Options
    Fiddly_FeltzFiddly_Feltz Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No idea who he was before this. He's clearly a finalist along with the three women.

Really looking forward to tomorrow night now because we're at the stage where the 4 contenders are going to start to shine.
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spin turn wrote: »
    I like Jake. I like his attitude and personality. I think his dancing is far better than I expected.

However, I'm not as impressed by his ballroom as others are. He's put in some respectable performances, but he lacks all those things that Len mentioned last week and so the technique doesn't yet live up to the styling there. But looking forward to seeing him improve.

I do agree with you about his ballroom; his waltz wasn't good. But he has shown he has the ability to move and to learn, but the point is he can only learn what he is taught. And if he wasn't taught that waltz has sway, it's hardly his fault. So I look forward to seeing Janette's ballroom teaching improve.
  • Options
    luigy39luigy39 Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »
    I do agree with you about his ballroom; his waltz wasn't good. But he has shown he has the ability to move and to learn, but the point is he can only learn what he is taught. And if he wasn't taught that waltz has sway, it's hardly his fault. So I look forward to seeing Janette's ballroom teaching improve.

Janette expplained on ITT yesterday that she agreed with Len and that He indeed needed more Sway, Jake looked back at her like a kid who has done something bad.

You don't need to be a world champion to know that waltz has to have sway, you and I know it, and we are not ballroom champions are we ;-) I'm guessing he could not hold frame and have sway at the same time, and Janette decided to do the best he could do. It worked.
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    kaycee wrote: »

I am very much in two or even three minds about this. First artistically speaking I really loved that routine. However the task was to perform a slow waltz and therefore it should have swing and sway so from that point of view it was a failing.

On the other hand it did have the air of a tango about it. There was something about the atmosphere and a sort of darkness that felt very tangoesque. So from that point of view I can see where Craig was coming from.

On the other hand (I appear to have three :o) there is such a thing as Argentine tango waltz or Vals which is in the same time signature but steps on the first beat primarily - which I think makes it more like VW???. But In AT terms it tends to be less dark and moody than Argentine Tango. I think it has a sort of jaunty feel about it rather than a swaying one.

So now I am proper confused as it seems to have fallen between three stools. I wonder if we are being fed fusion again but this time by stealth. :confused::D
  • Options
    Fatima502Fatima502 Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    He's proving that he's wasted on EastEnders
  • Options
    KorkyTheCatKorkyTheCat Posts: 24,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janette has obviously utilised the fact that Jake's an actor and given him a role to slip into and a storyline to enact for 90 seconds each week. Would that all the pros did that to give the slebs another persona to hide behind and bring to the fore. (cf. Mark)
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He may be good technically but he lacks the one ingredient that would make him a stand out winner and that's personality and attitude .
  • Options
    fermynfermyn Posts: 2,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a 'Godfather' waltz, so surely it had to be mean and moody? I thought Jake played the part beautifully...and more important, convincingly.

I'm with the majority on here. I had no expectations of him as I don't watch EE, didn't think he looked particularly attractive, and I didn't expect him to last five minutes. But I'd spend an hour or two in his company in preference to the pretty boys, Mark, Simon and Thom, and certainly far more than 'Gentleman Tim' who quite frankly creeps me out.

Like Sunetra, Jake's the perfect Strictly candidate and I expect him to give the top girls (who I also like) a run for their money all the way to the final.

A lovely man and I wish him all the best.
  • Options
    Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,437
    Forum Member
    I think he's fantastic. A real surprise.

I love him on ITT and you just know you will never hear him use the dreaded 'J' word.

No nonsense, just gets on with it and does his best every week. He is one of those people that just comes alive on the dance floor.
  • Options
    mad_madge_morrimad_madge_morri Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hadn't seen/heard of him before Strictly. He seems a nice unassuming family man who is genuinely surprised that he is a natural dancer. I really like him
  • Options
    MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    I physically cannot wait for his jive tonight, it looks sooooo good!
  • Options
    Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    Paace wrote: »
    He may be good technically but he lacks the one ingredient that would make him a stand out winner and that's personality and attitude .

Based on that the winner should be Tim, Mark, Steve, Scott, Alison or Sunetra. Let's face it, most of the recent winners didn't have much in terms of personality.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    First post but just have to add that Jake is my favourite!! I wasn't to sure when he was announced but after catching a glimpse of him in the launch show I could see he had some rhythm. and have loved all his performances to date. Looking forwards to the Jive this weekend - the hips should certainly be moving again :)

I expect him to totally nail that jive... cant wait :cool:
  • Options
    Jennifer_FJennifer_F Posts: 4,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I expect him to totally nail that jive... cant wait :cool:

Looked very good in the training clip
  • Options
    tortoisepersontortoiseperson Posts: 3,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paace wrote: »

Every year people will say this about candidates who don't gurn, who have dry wit rather than ebullient humour. I much prefer the understated subtlety.
  • Options
    missfrankiecatmissfrankiecat Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    Sandra Bee wrote: »
    I think he's fantastic. A real surprise.

I love him on ITT and you just know you will never hear him use the dreaded 'J' word.

No nonsense, just gets on with it and does his best every week. He is one of those people that just comes alive on the dance floor.

Agree with this. He's not as technically accomplished as the other front-runners - he hasn't their experience. But he is using his acting skills and natural aptitude to deliver really entertaining and polished performances so far. I like his 'ungushing" personality on ITT - it tones down Janette who can be OTT, so they are a good partnership. I'm still pretty negative about Janette's own technique as a ballroom dancer but overall I think she's doing a great job presenting Jake's strengths to maximum effect.
  • Options
    LoracShaktiLoracShakti Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    Jennifer_F wrote: »
    Looked very good in the training clip

It did didn't it :cool: Just hope he can translate the training room performance to the main show!!
  • Options
    Cheryl423Cheryl423 Posts: 1,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wait 'til you see tonight's routine ! Jake is hitting all the moves and it looks fantastic.
  • Options
    Jennifer_FJennifer_F Posts: 4,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It did didn't it :cool: Just hope he can translate the training room performance to the main show!!

Sure he can, the clip was early in the week. He's a performer too. Will be good marks I', sure.
  • Options
    Fuchsia GroanFuchsia Groan Posts: 3,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is my opinion of course but to watch him is like watching a person ooze charisma, being able to turn their hand to anything. I saw him in a war film once, also being able turn his talents in the serious arena. I like him....one of these men who can just capture attention wherever he goes. The way he carries himself is helping his dancing flourish.

Well, the 'it' just has to be sex appeal, doesn't it?

I'm not a regular viewer of Eastenders, but have seen him - and the sleazeball he plays - often enough over the years.

At first I never understood why he'd been cast in the role of someone apparently irresistible to every female that crossed his path. And then gradually started to think - "Actually, I know what it is she sees in him......" :o:o :D

He's about as far apart from the physical type that I would normally find attractive but he has VERY definitely got something. Like I said, it's just got to be sex appeal. And he can dance, too - makes him even sexier! :D

He will take a lot of beating, I think - which is good news for me as I picked him to win in an office syndicate. Bad news is the drinks are on me if he does win, so it won't profit me one jot! :(
  • Options
    scar_tissuescar_tissue Posts: 719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's one of those people, you see a picture of them and think na there's nothing special about him, don't see why he gets all the pretty girls in eastenders but watching him he is very charismatic.
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's one of those people, you see a picture of them and think na there's nothing special about him, don't see why he gets all the pretty girls in eastenders but watching him he is very charismatic.

But surely all those pretty girls in Eastenders are actresses and being paid to find his character irrestible. ;-)
  • Options
    Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    Cheryl423 wrote: »
    Wait 'til you see tonight's routine ! Jake is hitting all the moves and it looks fantastic.

Any other celebs to look out for tonight?