Options

Classy departure

Comments

• Options
    Winchester LadyWinchester Lady Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tim was a Director at Sothebys and is always extremely well mannered. I hope that more of the antiques experts from various programmes are invited to go on Strictly as I can think of many of them that would be great fun - Christina Trevannion, Charles Hanson, David Harper, to name a few. Anita Manning would probably do a good job, too. I do hope that one or two of them are invited and can find the time!
  • Options
    abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed, that was a lovely departure for both of them. They danced their hearts out in the dance off, knowing it was bound to be their last dance, and Tim was incredibly gracious in his exit speech both about the show and about Natalie in particular.

True. I didn't enjoy watching him dance and thought he was a little odd at times but his exit speech redeemed him in my eyes, and showed what a genuinely lovely show it is
  • Options
    edy10edy10 Posts: 18,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you for starting this thread OP; It was one of the best and most heartfelt Speech I have ever heard on SCD :cry::cry:

I was crying during the whole speech :cry::cry::cry:

What a Gentleman !!!
  • Options
    janetcomelatelyjanetcomelately Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    Adding myself to the welling up brigade and also the not keen on Natalie when she first joined group. What a lovely couple and what a loss to the show.

I suspect Judy may be as heartfelt when she goes.
  • Options
    Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tim & Nat brought a tear to my eye.

He's obviously had a ball & that is what i love about SCD.
  • Options
    Sandra BeeSandra Bee Posts: 9,437
    Forum Member
    Just reading these lovely tributes is making me teary again.

Looking forward to ITT this evening and seeing them both again.
  • Options
    Mrs MillsMrs Mills Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You've set me off now.:cry:
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    I loved the Joanna Lumley / Patsy Stone look. Natalie Lowe merged into Joanna Lumley can drive a bloke's testosterone into over-drive - if he can remember we he last put it. Phwoar!

Tim may be a lovely gent. But Grand Dad Dancing has had its day. He was and is a rubbish chest of drawers dancer.
    There's always one person who has to rain on tributes.

For those who missed it he said (quoted from today's Telegraph because I can't remember it exactly as I was also mist eyed and sad):

“It’s a great treat to be on a programme like Strictly. For an old geezer like me – in his 64th year, slightly portly and thinking he’s a bit over the hill – it has taken me to a very special place. I’m fitter, I’m a better person than I was a month ago and I cannot tell you what a wonderful experience this is, so I commend and thank you all.”

He also paid gentlemanly tribute to “delightful, lovely Nat”, called her “his rock” and joked that he’d be moving to Australia to continue dancing with her. "
  • Options
    AedinAedin Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    Just to say I am also so sorry that Tim has gone, but what a lovely exit. As ever the consummate gent and Natalie has really demonstrated her class in her partnership with him. Hopefully some of the grace and charm they brought will remain - and maybe ven set the trend for future contestants! ;-)
  • Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know some on here aren't keen on him, but as a viewer of the programmes he presents (bit of an antique explorer, who has also seen him in person) I have long enjoyed watching him and this has certainly been enhanced by his time on SCD. A true gent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tim was a Director at Sothebys and is always extremely well mannered. I hope that more of the antiques experts from various programmes are invited to go on Strictly as I can think of many of them that would be great fun - Christina Trevannion, Charles Hanson, David Harper, to name a few. Anita Manning would probably do a good job, too. I do hope that one or two of them are invited and can find the time!

I agree with this and moreover they are on much watched programmes no doubt by a "key SCD demographic". It would make sense from a BBC point of view to continue the cross-pollination.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brought a bit of class to a show that has been desperately driving itself downmarket.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tejas wrote: »
    I agree with pretty much everything in this thread; Tim's exit was really lovely and he is a true gent. I'll miss him greatly on the show. He wasn't 'in it to win it' but clearly loved the experience and its people like him who make the show so great.

It does annoy me how Len moans about Tim being bottom 2 though when the judges placed him 2nd from bottom themselves!

That is true, though to be honest he and Scott were probably the worst two on the night and the judges diidn't have much else to go on. I think Len was hoping the publuc's hands would be less tied.
  • Options
    spuddiespuddie Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    Agree with wazzyboy at #62 above. Could I add Catherine Southon, Hilary Kay and Kate Bliss to the list, but keep Christina Trevanion as number one 'target'?
  • Options
    henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    There's always one person who has to rain on tributes.

For those who missed it he said (quoted from today's Telegraph because I can't remember it exactly as I was also mist eyed and sad):

“It’s a great treat to be on a programme like Strictly. For an old geezer like me – in his 64th year, slightly portly and thinking he’s a bit over the hill – it has taken me to a very special place. I’m fitter, I’m a better person than I was a month ago and I cannot tell you what a wonderful experience this is, so I commend and thank you all.”

He also paid gentlemanly tribute to “delightful, lovely Nat”, called her “his rock” and joked that he’d be moving to Australia to continue dancing with her. "

Tim is a charming delightful gent who gave an eloquent closing speech; but the bloke just can't dance. I'd love to hear him on a chat show on television or the radio; but I don't want to see him dance again.

But in the grand scheme of things it is far more important to be a charming delightful eloquent gent than a great dancer.
  • Options
    henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    I agree with this and moreover they are on much watched programmes no doubt by a "key SCD demographic". It would make sense from a BBC point of view to continue the cross-pollination.

Sounds logical.

But then comparing dancing like with like why did Scott get the votes and not Tim?

It looks like from the evidence that the X-Factor constituency votes more than the Antiques Roadshow demographic. I wonder how the viewing figures compare.
  • Options
    sandixsandix Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    I agree totally with what has been said on this thread. Tim's speech was gracious, articulate and sincere, he is a genuine gent, some of the younger contestants should take note. I loved his and Natalie's last dance with the other celebs and pros cheering them on. Like many of the posters here Natalie is my favourite female dancer and although her and Tim had a wonderful partnership I hope she gets a real contender next series, although I worry that the producers she her as a replacement for Erin who usually got the 'keen no-hopers'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds logical.

But then comparing dancing like with like why did Scott get the votes and not Tim?

It looks like from the evidence that the X-Factor constituency votes more than the Antiques Roadshow demographic. I wonder how the viewing figures compare.

I am not a fan of the notion of the show or any show having predictable demographics, but others set a lot of store by it.

Moreover, Scott has told us that Radio 1 is in his view not for over 25s, that is not to say nobody over 25 is voting for him.

Viewers and voters of course as you say do not necessarily co-relate. :)
  • Options
    Lolly_Du_BekeLolly_Du_Beke Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First time I've cried at an exit and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

And people said poor Natalie when they were paired up, and yes maybe she would like a contender, but I don't feel sorry for her - she's clearly had a wonderful series with Tim and enjoyed working with him despite knowing he'd never get far. Her face when he gave her that glitterball on ITT said it all.

I bet the pros with contenders don't have half as much fun even if they win - this theory is supported by people's comments that Aljaz seems happier with Alison this year despite having the winner last year.

Goodbye and thank you Tim x
  • Options
    sambadansambadan Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now that ladies and gentlemen is how to make a dignified, articulate and sincere exit.
    99.9% of celebs should learn something from how Mr Wonnacott conducted himself.
    A fine, upstanding and civil sort of chap.
    Well done Sir.
  • Options
    StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    It was the best ending to the results show I've ever seen on Strictly! :D

That dance at the end was awful but it was Hillarious! :D

I'd have given him a standing ovation, he was a true gentleman particularly what he said at the end. Scott should have gone, not Tim! >:(
  • Options
    zabezabe Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    Just want to salute Tm for his departure speech and his grace and dignity in defeat.
    What a gentleman. My hat is off to you Sir.

Tim was by no means a great dancer and deserved to be in the dance off this week, tho not quite as much as Scott, who IMO behaves like a spoilt child, who wants the kudos of being on SCD but isn't prepared to participate in the hard work and commitment needed to succeed. Tim's contribution to and enjoyment of SCD however, was never in doubt. He went as he'd behaved throughout the programme, with class, graciousness and honesty.......a lovely lovely man.
  • Options
    Alleycat666Alleycat666 Posts: 8,739
    Forum Member
    Agree with all the nice things being said here (what a nice thread for a change!).

I was also impressed with Mark last night who I thought took being in the bottom 2 on the chin and went for it in the dance off with no moaning.

Tim's speech at the end was lovely - and his final dance was hilarious. A real character.
  • Options
    Siobhan_KellySiobhan_Kelly Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    That dance at the end was the funniest thing since Dave Myers paso doble, Judy or Scott should have gone not Tim.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I was also impressed with Mark last night who I thought took being in the bottom 2 on the chin and went for it in the dance off with no moaning.

You make an excellent point and one worth reiterating ;-)