Dr Who Ratings Thread

Comments

• CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely if we're more interested in Consolidateds than Overnights anyway, than those extra hour or so will just be caught up later in the week?

Hey, I thought we were more interested in Overnights than Live - look how that turned out :D
  • Yog101Yog101 Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Live + VOSDAL: 4.548m
    + Day 1: 5.826m
    + Day 2: 6.216m
    + Day 3: 6.356m
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yog101 wrote: »

Thanks Yog.

With the time adjustment where does it stand so far?
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member

What we need is a line graph showing the ratings rise for each episode over a seven day period.

Just saying :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Thanks Yog.

With the time adjustment where does it stand so far?

From what I can work out (and I must stress these are just rough estimates when it comes to time adjustment), we're looking at 6.512m at the moment, when looking at a time frame of 20:24-21:06.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From Doctor Who News Page:

Episode
    Live + Same Day
    Repeat
    Time Shift
    iPlayer
    Total Live+7

Deep Breath
    6.81 (63%)
    0.46 (4%)
    2.53 (23%)
    0.97 (9%)
    10.76 million

Into the Dalek
    5.16 (62%)
    0.40 (5%)
    2.21 (27%)
    0,50 (6%)
    8.26 million

Robot of Sherwood
    5.26 (64%)
    0.44 (5%)
    2.03 (25%)
    0.51 (6%)
    8.25 million

Listen
    4.82 (62%)
    0.37 (5%)
    2.14 (27%)
    0.48 (6%)
    7.80 million

A downward trend I see. These are with 7.30pm starts and X Factor partial clashes from Into The Dalek to Listen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    But are also 4.5 million or so in a number of cases. 3.5 million is hardly the norm.

What use is a large "inherited~" audience if a large part of that audience are unlikely to be DW viewers? Or if a part of that audience have just sat through 2 hrs of TV and want/need a break?

It's no use to Doctor Who as it doesn't benefit from it. It did when an episode in Tennant's first series followed football and one of Matt's episodes in 7a followed Strictly. Doctor Who follows Strictly now and gets no boost. The casual audience appears to be gone and the core audience is left.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    I used to worry about this a lot. But the truth is even with 5m 'live' viewers, its still one of the BBC's most watched TV shows every Saturday night and - indeed - each week.
    CD93 wrote: »
    As opposed to what, though? Only two shows got above 5m on Saturday - SCD and TXF.
    SJB 2007 wrote: »
    Well i would say to that... Should the BBC just give up? It and other shows like it [Merlin Atlantis Etc] are a great alternative to people who have no interest in X-Factor Etc. It very much deserves it's Saturday night slot imho. ;)

Doctor Who has a dedicated audience that follow it around. It isn't getting a massive boost following Strictly. Maybe it should stay in the Summer instead?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A downward trend I see.

You'll see that a lot. :p

Incidentally, each series has gone below 7m by Episode 10 - with the occasional bump along the way. Series 8 has just seen the least number of episodes over 8m. We have already talked at length about this year's consistency in that regard.

Strictly was seen as a chance to get us those bumps (as previous series have episodes which received higher ratings than they would have done without additional 'events' - football, often being the case as an example) but this timeslot with this competition was a mistake.

Though I would like to highlight that while we're here to discuss ratings - the BBC will be seeing these numbers, too. We're unlikely to be the first to spot a problem or a potential problem. Things that are of concern to us aren't necessarily going to be a concern for TPTB.

If they want / need to change the timeslot next year, I'm sure they will do. We'll see a change in cast & production team before there really is a problem worth worrying out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    + Day 4: 6.415m
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Doctor Who has a dedicated audience that follow it around. It isn't getting a massive boost following Strictly. Maybe it should stay in the Summer instead?

With the current filming schedule that would only be possible with another split series. No thank you!!
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    I think the decision to put the show on so late (8.30pm!!) is in some way an admission from the BBC that (a) they know its will get decent overnights regardless but (b) they also know it will gain an extra couple of million in catch-up viewing.

I think it still matters when the show is broadcast, though, because I'm not convinced all the 'live' viewers would necessarily bother to watch the show on catch-up if it was shown (as an example) at 11pm on a Thursday night. I think keeping it - to some degree - front-and-centre in the schedule remains important.

I just think Doctor Who gets the best both worlds - healthy live figures and good catch-up figures too. So what I am saying (in a round-about way) is that I don't think the 'Orange is the New Black'/Netflix approach would necessarily work for Doctor Who.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder what Ratings DW would get if Strictly was split into two shows on the Saturday and DW was shown in between? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's an infodump graph which some may find interesting - up to Series 7b. Paul Smith posted on GB last year.

http://www.wonderfulbook.co.uk/nuratings_800.jpg

With an extra look at other top performers for comparison.
    EastEnders:

2010 - 9.76
    2011 - 8.95
    2012 - 8.50
    2013 - 7.82
    2014 - 7.76

Coronation St:

2010 - 9.82
    2011 - 8.70
    2012 - 8.64
    2013 - 9.03
    2014 - 7.59

X-Factor Results:

2010 - 13.17
    2011 - 11.34
    2012 - 8.83
    2013 - 8.79
    2014 - 7.57
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    + Day 5: 6.467m
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    I think the decision to put the show on so late (8.30pm!!) is in some way an admission from the BBC that (a) they know its will get decent overnights regardless but (b) they also know it will gain an extra couple of million in catch-up viewing.

I think it still matters when the show is broadcast, though, because I'm not convinced all the 'live' viewers would necessarily bother to watch the show on catch-up if it was shown (as an example) at 11pm on a Thursday night. I think keeping it - to some degree - front-and-centre in the schedule remains important.

I just think Doctor Who gets the best both worlds - healthy live figures and good catch-up figures too. So what I am saying (in a round-about way) is that I don't think the 'Orange is the New Black'/Netflix approach would necessarily work for Doctor Who.
    I think they expected Doctor Who to get higher figures after Strictly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    + Day 5: 6.467m

Thanks Yog.

So around 6.6m with adjustments?
  • Chris DaviesChris Davies Posts: 263
    Forum Member

On what basis do you think that?

In my view, the key fact is that every episode so far has finished in the top 20 programmes on consolidated ratings. So the show is doing as well or better than it ever has.
  • Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well frankly, if they did, they were stupid. Any positive effect that Strictly would have given DW was taken away by the X-Factor. It's a fact that is plain to see!
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've managed to watch more Doctor Who "live" for Series 8 than I have any other due the later start times. I tend to be out with my family or friends well into the evening.

I'd be interested to know if anyone's got any figures to prove the much said idea that less children watch live with the later start. I'd have thought that kids would watch on catch up whatever the start time, such is the changing of viewing habits and viewing technologies.

I find any pre-7.30pm start totally abhorrent. But that's just my personal opinion.
  • LightMeUpLightMeUp Posts: 1,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my mates has only just started watching Doctor Who (despite years of me shouting at her to do so). Watches it live on Saturday nights and she said that's partly due to the later timeslot. She can settle down and watch it with her dinner. I think the later time is more appealing to the casual viewer.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I think this ratings malarkey is a laugh!
    The X Factor is slaughtering it.......but at the same time it is doing well anyway!! ITV win on viewers/ads.....and BBC win on Catch-up/BBC i etc !! Catch 22 or what??

Personally I think that Doctor Who is doing just as well as it did ten years ago!

Forget the ratings - they are defunct nowadays!!

I judge by the AA ratings!
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The AMC Network have bought a 49.9% share in BBC America I wonder if this will mean that BBC America (and thus DW) will become available in the same number of homes as AMC itself.

The difference as of last year was about 17 million homes.
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,925
    Forum Member
    I judge by the AA ratings!
    Alcoholics Anonymous?
    :D
  • Steady40Steady40 Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well frankly, if they did, they were stupid. Any positive effect that Strictly would have given DW was taken away by the X-Factor. It's a fact that is plain to see!

No! When strictly finishes X factor increases by a little over a million viewers, which means several million are switching off altogether. Doctor who should be a million higher than what it is.

I think if we had the old days of Rose and tennant and donna, it would get closer to 6m, and still timeshifts of 2m.