Cheers on ITV4 (Merged)

Comments

• mizhogmizhog Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really missed 'Cheers' last week when it as off-air replaced temporarily for the week by football. I'm glad we're getting at last one episode per evening now until the tournament ends. Luckily I'm also working my way through the 'Seinfeld' boxset for the first time also at the moment so I didn't suffer too badly from my withdrawal symptoms.

Thus far I've brought seasons 1-4 of Seinfeld and am very much looking forward to purchasing the Fraiser boxset next and giving that a try.

then buy the king of queens boxset :D
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Only discovered this was on recently and it's prompted me to start working through the episodes on Netflix!
  • quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    Cheers is my favourite sitcom in the world.Brilliant.There won't be quality TV like this again IMO.
  • cody jarrettcody jarrett Posts: 1,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a bit confused with an episode shown recently (from 1986) where Carla goes to Graceland for the 10th anniversary of Elvis' death. She was a whole 10 months early! Funnily enough when it had it's C4 debut in 1987 it would have been good timing!
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »
    I too hear that the show became much more of an ensemble piece when Diane left and Rebecca was actually on the show a year longer than Diane, must say though, as much as I like Cliff, the way he calls Norm- 'Narmie' is quite annoying.

That's the Boston (or more correctly Bawston) accent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    I love reading the comments from people who have never watched Cheers before. It must be great watching them for the first time, not knowing what's going to happen next. I watched it faithfully every Friday night on Channel 4 in the 80's and the same with Frasier in the 90's. I now have both of them on DVD, and watch them often. Without doubt and imo the two best comedy shows ever. I would recommend if you haven't watched Frasier before, then watch the whole run of Cheers first, as the story of Frasier carries on after Cheers ends.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    That's the Boston (or more correctly Bawston) accent.

I know,but it grates!
  • Sunny BSunny B Posts: 7,359
    Forum Member
    CBS Drama are going straight into S6 on Thursday, I wonder if ITV4 are going to be shown Season 6 aswell?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    To echo what others have said. Watched every episode / series of Cheers when they were originally broadcast and have been hooked from the start all over again during this ITV4 run. Fascinating to see it now, knowing what was to come, including the surprise appearance at the bar of a psychiatrist called Frasier Crane. Also seeing the show grow in confidence but still retain the essence of what made it great. And, yes, very sad to realise now how ill Nicholas Colasanto was in his final episodes as Coach. Cheers is still heartwarming, laugh out loud, class comedy. Quite an achievement after all those years.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sunny B wrote: »
    CBS Drama are going straight into S6 on Thursday, I wonder if ITV4 are going to be shown Season 6 aswell?

I hope so! :eek: I assume ITV are going to show every season, but now I think about it they did drop the last series of 'Minder' and went back to the beginning. I was not happy about that as I had watched every bloody episode religiously. :(
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant episode on ITV 4!! Diane allows Sam to sow his wild oats
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To anyone who wondered how far ITV4 would go and whether they would be showing it, season 6 does indeed start in the 2nd episode of Tuesday night's double bill.
  • JustonecornettoJustonecornetto Posts: 19,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched Cheers when it was first shown on Channel 4 and have been enjoying the re-runs on ITV4. It's only now in Series 5 that I remember clearly some of the episodes and I can't wait for Kirstie Alley to appear (think it's maybe Series 7) as the Diane/Sam storyline was beginning to tire by that time and Rebecca added much more to the appeal for me.
  • Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    Reading the plot synopsis for tonights episode I think its the one with John Cleese basically playing Basil Fawlty. Very funny episode.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reading the plot synopsis for tonights episode I think its the one with John Cleese basically playing Basil Fawlty. Very funny episode.

John Cleese, yes - Basil Fawlty, nothing like.

Brilliantly played.
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always preferred Diane to Rebecca so I am dreading the end of series 5.......:cry::o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always preferred Diane to Rebecca so I am dreading the end of series 5.......:cry::o

The other way round for me.

In this series the Diane character is pretty awful (and very annoying) and the storylines increasingly ridicolous. I think, when it was first shown, I might have stopped watching if she'd stayed.

Soon over though:)
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBS Drama are showing Season 6 now with Kirstie Alley....yeah!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just watched Thursday's episodes and was happy to see the character Lilith back. Hopefully she'll become a regular. I love her. :)
  • quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member

I never liked either.But I prefer the Rebecca years just because it became more of an ensemble show then.It's still my favourite US sitcom.
  • Sunny BSunny B Posts: 7,359
    Forum Member
    This thread should be renamed "Cheers on CBS Drama". We already have an ITV4 thread!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunny B wrote: »
    This thread should be renamed "Cheers on CBS Drama". We already have an ITV4 thread!
    No NO NO!! THIS is the original ITV4 thread!
  • JustonecornettoJustonecornetto Posts: 19,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just watched the Thanksgiving episode again which was shown a couple of weeks ago. It is easy to see why this was voted as the funniest Cheers episode, with the foodfight totally hilarious. I wonder how they rehearsed that? they were probably told just to 'go for it' and must have been done in one take. Then we even got to see the 'unseen character' Vera but not quite as Diane threw the dessert at Sam but ended up missing him and smothering Vera's face just as she walked in. A little known fact is that the character Vera who made that 'appearance' was George Wendt's wife in real life.
    Back to 2 episodes each night this week apart from Thursday due to Liverpool's euopean match.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've just watched the Thanksgiving episode again which was shown a couple of weeks ago. It is easy to see why this was voted as the funniest Cheers episode, with the foodfight totally hilarious. I wonder how they rehearsed that? they were probably told just to 'go for it' and must have been done in one take. Then we even got to see the 'unseen character' Vera but not quite as Diane threw the dessert at Sam but ended up missing him and smothering Vera's face just as she walked in. A little known fact is that the character Vera who made that 'appearance' was George Wendt's wife in real life.
    Back to 2 episodes each night this week apart from Thursday due to Liverpool's euopean match.

The Thanksgiving episode is my favourite episode to date (I am seeing them for the first time) The food-fight was just so natural (if that's possible) :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We say goodbye to the increasingly whiney and redicolous Diane tonight:)