Options

Barry Humphries - Judge

Comments

• Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John and Denise look completely confused when Barry speaks. He seems really pervy to me.

Barry Humphries is relaxed, unlike foghorn Barrowman. His comments are sharp-witted and pithy. Denise and John’s comments are formulaic, stale and clichéd. Denise and John don’t appear to have the capacity to understand Humphries. Hence the confused looks.

Also I still think Zoe should be there.
  • Options
    pierre_gustavepierre_gustave Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »
    Barry Humphries is relaxed, unlike foghorn Barrowman. His comments are sharp-witted and pithy. Denise and John’s comments are formulaic, stale and clichéd. Denise and John don’t appear to have the capacity to understand Humphries. Hence the confused looks.

Oh Dear.
    I was in total agreement with you until that last sentence:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh Dear.
    I was in total agreement with you until that last sentence:(

Why oh dear? We don't have to agree on everything.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barry's grown on me this week as ISTM he's being extremely subversive.

He out-van-outens DVA by larding on the praise then makes comments like the one about being milk fed which are pure Dame Edna.

He also seems to have a bit more empathy with the situation the girls are in and isn't going for a big round of applause like Barrowman.

Or maybe if I've started liking Barry Humphries' judging I need to get out more! :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dreamer27 wrote: »
    I must have had my ears closed off :o. What did he say to Sam tonight?

That post you quoted was about last week's show. I don't think he said anything too unnerving too her tonight, but to be honest I was too annoyed by what John Barrowman had said just before him - he really was talking rubbish tonight imo :rolleyes:

The comment Barry made about Francesca was really unnecessary though :confused:
  • Options
    TiffaniTiffani Posts: 5,444
    Forum Member
    I think Barry Humphries is a waste of space. His only purpose seems to be to leer over the young girls and make suggestive remarks.
  • Options
    OneF'inFalkirkOneF'inFalkirk Posts: 4,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiffani wrote: »
    I think Barry Humphries is a waste of space. His only purpose seems to be to leer over the young girls and make suggestive remarks.

Whereas that was Barrowman's job on the Joseph programme :D (but with guys instead of girls of course)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    centrino04 wrote: »
    Also, I'm pretty sure he is the only person to have played Fagin twice in the West End, once in 1960 (in the original production) and in 1997.
    No, Ron Moody played Fagin in the original 1960 London production. Barry Humphries was in the cast as Mr Sowerberry. He played Fagin in the 1967 revival and then again in the 1997 revival.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,818
    Forum Member
    I thought he was drunk!!:eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as I love Dame Edna, Barry Humphries, like his alter ego Sir Les PAtterson, gives me the creeps. He's a leery old man.:(
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First time i've seen this show, and the BBC should cut their losses and get rid of Barry

What a bumbling silly old man

I read that there was some desperation to get Barry on the show but I agree I dont think he is adding anything. He just basically slobbers over the all the girls and ........well just slobbers over all the girls.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    Judges are terrible this series.

The only one really worth listening to last series was Zoe Tyler. At least she actually knew what she was talking about when she commented on the singing and technicalities of the vocal performance. Denise Whateverhernameis is basically John Barrowman #2 - just someone who's been on the West End at some point, only less critical and insightful. Barry Humphries is the same, only he seems a bit drunk all the time and tells everyone they were "magnificent", reserving an extra bit of breath for the 17-year-old girls so he can tell them how sexy they are. (shudder)

It's a sad day when John Barrowman has become the only one on the panel worth listening to.
  • Options
    Cat BalouCat Balou Posts: 1,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aleksis wrote: »
    Judges are terrible this series.

The only one really worth listening to last series was Zoe Tyler. At least she actually knew what she was talking about when she commented on the singing and technicalities of the vocal performance. Denise Whateverhernameis is basically John Barrowman #2 - just someone who's been on the West End at some point, only less critical and insightful. Barry Humphries is the same, only he seems a bit drunk all the time and tells everyone they were "magnificent", reserving an extra bit of breath for the 17-year-old girls so he can tell them how sexy they are. (shudder)

It's a sad day when John Barrowman has become the only one on the panel worth listening to.

If you find it this alarming perhaps you should hit the off button and give it all a miss!

I am loving Barry Humphries and have always liked DVO and JB too. My only criticism is that they have been a bit too nice so far this series but it's early days and no doubt the comments will get more personal as the competition progresses.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the judges last series but I don't like the fact there is only 3 this year plus ALW. And Barry Humphries just makes me uncomfortable.
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do think John B gets a bit over excited at times, but he isn't afraid to say what he feels; likewise Denise, some of her comments are quite constructive. But I really can't stand Barry H. He seems as creepy as his alta ego Les Patterson, and about as obnoxious. He has nothing constructive to say, just thinks all the girls are wonderful etc etc etc. The body language from John and Denise suggest they are uncomfortable with him.
  • Options
    katyb0408katyb0408 Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why isnt zoe involved this time? barry makes me feel uncomfortable with his pervy comments. i would be scared if i was one of those girls
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »
    I do think John B gets a bit over excited at times, but he isn't afraid to say what he feels; likewise Denise, some of her comments are quite constructive. But I really can't stand Barry H. He seems as creepy as his alta ego Les Patterson, and about as obnoxious. He has nothing constructive to say, just thinks all the girls are wonderful etc etc etc. The body language from John and Denise suggest they are uncomfortable with him.

Just to reitierate what I said earlier:
    RedWhiteandBlue: Whereas that was Barrowman's job on the Joseph programme (but with guys instead of girls of course)

And Denise's!!! :D
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »
    And Denise's!!! :D

Yes, Denise was a really dirty old(er) woman in the Joseph series!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    katyb0408 wrote: »
    Barry makes me feel uncomfortable with his pervy comments. I would be scared if I was one of those girls

Why, what's he going to do?:confused:

Seems quite harmless to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sylvia wrote: »
    Why, what's he going to do?:confused:

i just wouldnt like some pervy old man perving over me, thats why i would be scared if i were them
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just wouldnt like some pervy old man perving over me, thats why I would be scared if I were them

Don't go on the stage then!:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i dont think they would have me
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i dont think they would have me

:D
    Seriously though the old guy is probably all talk and no action anyway.
    If he likes the look of them and bigs them up, rather than tearing them apart, I don't think they will be complaining.
  • Options
    Cat BalouCat Balou Posts: 1,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sylvia wrote: »
    Don't go on the stage then!:p

:D:D:D

These actresses are auditioning for a part as a gin drinking prostitute who is beaten to death by her boyfriend. If they are upset by a saucy comment from BH I doubt they'll make a convincing Nancy.

Having met BH, I have no doubt that behind the scenes he will be offer the young hopefuls lots of constructive advice and don't be surprised if you see them appear in future BH shows. He is very loyal and supportive to people who he rates.
  • Options
    threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only really listen to the judges to see who they are favouring, their actual opinion is irrelevant as I know what I like, they won't change my mind.

I do however take note of ALW only because I like to have a little punt here and there and he makes the decisions.

I find Barry quite eccentric and therefore fun:)