Miranda (BBC 2)

Comments

• StrakerStraker Posts: 79,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would urge anyone who liked this to check out the infinitely better radio version. Perhaps then you will re-evaluate whether or not the TV version works.

Agree about Sally Phillips. Cute as a button before.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    I would urge anyone who liked this to check out the infinitely better radio version. Perhaps then you will re-evaluate whether or not the TV version works.

That's so often the way when radio sitcoms transition to TV. Maybe it's because the budgets on radio are so much lower, so there isn't such an urgency for it to be a hit, but when they decide to put a subtle, witty, original radio sitcom on TV, the first rule seems to be "make all the jokes really obvious - we don't want anyone saying 'but I don't get it' ".

Little Britain was great on the radio, but on telly they just seemed to want to shock.
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it.
  • elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked it a lot and laughed more than I expected to.

Humour is pretty subjective but the fact that quite a number didn't care for it doesn't really matter as long as enough people DID enjoy it.

I quite enjoyed Hyperdrive too - not brilliant, but quite watchable
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agree about Sally Phillips. Cute as a button before.

Yes, I have adored Sally in just about everything she has done but I didn't even recognise her until the "You Have Been Watching..." titles came up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I've come to this discussion fairly late, but I stumbled across the thread during a lunchtime web trawl for reviews of Miranda. I was genuinely interested to see what people thought because I was gob-smacked at the poor quality of this programme in every respect. The set was laughable, the writing execrable and the acting - especially Miranda Hart - was dire. This is a retro step for TV comedy and not in a good way. What a waste of the brilliant Sally Phillips, who just about managed to shine through the cliches. I dug out an episode of Black Books after this to remind myself that in the not too distant past we could actually produce a comedy set in shop that was sharp, quirky, funny and, er, modern?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I thought itwas fantastic. The funniest thing I have seen on TV since the Inbetweeners.
    Both myself and girlfriend were in stiches pretty much the whole way through.
    Cant wait for the next five episodes!
  • abercrombieabercrombie Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked it because it made me laugh. Perhaps you have to be in the mood and like i said, i didn't watch the first part, but even though I fully expected her to walk in dressed as a transvestite, it was completely hilarious.

I've never seen the 'talks to camera' a la Frankie Howerd that some people have mentioned here and thought it was refreshing It was only the first one, hopefully it will get better.

Any idea where we can get hold of the radio versions?
  • birdsongbirdsong Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This show was good in parts IMO.

I did laugh in a few places but it could do without the school boy level willy etc jokes. If it raises itself up it does have potential.
  • dermott100dermott100 Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    birdsong wrote: »
    This show was good in parts IMO.

I did laugh in a few places but it could do without the school boy level willy etc jokes. If it raises itself up it does have potential.

yeah it did let itself down a bit with the puerile gags, but nonetheless, I enjoyed it. Nice and silly which is the way I like them these days.

I also noticed that they have got some top class talent in it as well - Patricia Hodge and Patrick Malahide (?) from the national theatre of Brent I thought he was expecially creepy and good.

Also, nice to see something on at 8.30 which is not a soap opera, a reality series or a "how to make yourself non repulsive / live in a lovely house" type of sort of gig

DGY
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any idea where we can get hold of the radio versions?

Out on CD - "Miranda Hart’s Joke Shop".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    It has plenty of potential.

A good hit rate of gags that mad me laugh out loud, and the 'to camera' pieces help get the best from Miranda Hart's stand up and facial expresions.

The use of the 'you have been watching' endings helps as a gentle nudge in a 'yes it's daft and stupid, we know its a television programme, and we're not taking to seriously, so you should'nt either' kind of way. If they move it more towards surreal and away from cheap willy gags it could be a grower.

I'll stick with it for now. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they move it more towards surreal and away from cheap willy gags it could be a grower.

Is 6 the right length or would you like it more if it were longer?

:D
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    I liked it. It wasn't brilliant but I got quite a few laughs out of it. Miranda's asides to the camera were always good. I'll definitely watch it again.
  • SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    I think a lot of people approach new comedies with a "go on then, make me laugh. Bet you can't" type attitude.

I had an open mind and, while it did not have me in hysterics*, I found it amusing and easy to watch.

The opening phallic jokes had me worried that it would be desperate and the continuity announcer calling it a 'cheeky' comedy had me thinking that the BBC would be using its usual fall back of just putting a naked arse on screen - so I was pleasantly suprised.

*partner was in hysterics
  • radio-oneradio-one Posts: 7,032
    Forum Member
    Andy2 wrote: »
    I almost gave up in the first ten minutes, but it suddenly seemed to change gear and I ended up enjoying it very much. Quite funny.
    Did I detect shades of Frankie Howerd in there, with his style of chatting into the camera?
    And no 'film effect'!

PS Anyone notice the Test Card Clown...and the Test card 'noughts and crosses' blackboard?

I feel the same way!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    Is 6 the right length or would you like it more if it were longer?

:D

Well spotted you. You win a prize. A chocolate penis maybe. Or chocolate peni? <snort> :p
  • blimpyboyblimpyboy Posts: 419
    Forum Member
    I'm always on the lookout for any new comedy shows and I've just watched this on iPlayer. Where it comes up with the "more like this" recommendations at the end it had Two Pints of Lager.

Say no more.

As for the delectable Sally Phillips - she still looked pretty good to me.

OK, now i'll say no more.
  • smile371smile371 Posts: 10,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well i, for one, loved it! Yes it's very silly, but that can be a good thing in my book! There were actually some moments which did actually make me laugh out loud, which i can't remember the last time a show managed to do that!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really liked it!

Didn't expect to, but I did!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    I was wwatching Collision but caught 5 minutes of it in the adverts. Those minutes seemed quite amusing but maybe I caught the best part.
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty awful really. I will watch next week if only to prove my opinion. The breaking of the fourth wall didn't work.

Yep, Frankie Howerd did that as did Melissa Joan Hart in 'Clarissa Explains It All'.

Any other examples people can think of ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well spotted you. You win a prize. A chocolate penis maybe. Or chocolate peni? <snort> :p

With nuts, naturally. Whole nuts.
  • sueh21sueh21 Posts: 2,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miranda Hart reminds me a bit of Paul Merton,very funny but can't act for toffee.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    I am looking forward to next week's episode. I laughed out loud for once, most "comedies" hardly raise a smile. Well done all concerned.