Options

UK Sport Name Their RIO 2016 Medal Targets

Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,924
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Liz Phillips of UK Sport was interviewed n BBC Breakfast this morning and named the Medal Target for Rio Olympics for GB.

An apt day as we are now closer to Rio 2016 now than we are from London 2012.

The targets are

Olympics. 66 medals

Paralympics 121 medals

The observant will notice that these are 1 more than the London achievement for each. No host nation has ever gone on to the following games and increased their medal count. Very ambitious but achievable?

Comments

• Options
    tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member
    With our cyclists having lost many of their big names by Rio, it will be very difficult to achieve the stated targets, if fact it would nothing short of astonishing if BG did!
  • Options
    The NetThe Net Posts: 5,494
    Forum Member
    Interesting.

The cycling is a good point but don't forget - this is a target of medals not gold medals. In London we actually won less cycling medals than 2008 in Beijing! 12 in London, 14 in Beijing.

So if we assume our cyclists pick up say 4 less medals again in Rio there are some sports we are really targeting - not least Gymnastics and Judo where we could pick up more medals. Pity squash isn't an Olympic Sport. Personally can't see us hitting that target but it's great to have the ambition of improvement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apologies - the Head of UK Sport is Liz Nicholl.

Agree our gymnastics infrastructure is getting much better. Sadly I think the march of the Chinese will prevent many medals in the pool. I think Rowing and Sailing will continue to harvest medals - Judo I don't know how strong we are. The same in the other combat sports. I think we over-achieved at equestrian too.

Cycling I think there's another 2 years. We have some great new young talent waiting in the wings. Whether they will be ready I don't know.
  • Options
    JB92JB92 Posts: 2,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cycling may be an area where we've fallen back slightly, but I think the standard of British swimming has improved since London 2012 and I wouldn't be surprised if we picked up more than the 3 medals we managed in the pool then.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At this point in the cycle to 2012 we all thought that the cycling team had fallen from their 2008 performance but they were just building to peak again for the Olympics. Until proven otherwise I will trust them that they know what they are doing and will be back on top in Rio.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,063
    Forum Member
    In cycling weren't the countries only allowed 1 team/person per event at 2012 whereas we had a few 1-2s in 2008?

Diving seems to be a sport on the up and Gymnastics.
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Net wrote: »
    In London we actually won less cycling medals than 2008 in Beijing! 12 in London, 14 in Beijing.

But, tbf, we could only enter one person/team per track cycling event in London - there was no restriction in Beijing. (I guess either the IOC or UCI - the world governing body for cycling - didn't watch us pwning it again.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    EStaffs90 wrote: »
    But, tbf, we could only enter one person/team per track cycling event in London - there was no restriction in Beijing. (I guess either the IOC or UCI - the world governing body for cycling - didn't watch us pwning it again.)

Agreed but my point is that we are perhaps as a mark of performance GB
    not so reliant on the medal haul in Cycling. It is important of course but there was decreasing reliance on it in 2012 from 2008.
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will be tough but I don't think we'll be a million miles away from the medal target even if we come up a little short. I doubt we will match the 29 golds from London but will likely beat the Beijing haul of 19.

I think having more than 1 rider per nation may help things with cycling though I suspect they may not match the 8 golds from Beijing & London. I think that's the same with many other sports - similar medal haul but down slightly on golds. Gymnastics is 1 sport that could increase it's medal haul a bit and I have belief that Rio will see the first British Olympic Champion.

I'm afraid with Swimming I will believe it when I see it when it comes to the Olympics - I feel like we have been here before in terms of good performances at Commonwealths and even at World Champs. But we just never seem to do it at the Olympics. Really given the number of medals on offer & the level of funding we should be looking at getting around 6 or so medals at each games with a couple of golds - the sort of total athletics achieves regularly. Equally I think you have to go back to before the war for the last time more than 1 British Swimmer struck gold at a games, quite a startling statistic really. We simply have never been a swimming power. If I was to put money on someone most likely to win gold in Rio it would be Siobhan Marie O'Connor but equally I could see some American or Chinese beating her as well.
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    In cycling weren't the countries only allowed 1 team/person per event at 2012 whereas we had a few 1-2s in 2008?

Diving seems to be a sport on the up and Gymnastics.

bib: That's right. Maybe the powers that be were unhappy at GB suddenly winning too many cycling medals in Beijing.:D

Agree with Tiger Rose, regarding the swimmers.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,063
    Forum Member
    I guess the only issue for sports like diving will be are the Chinese going to dominate again?

It was only thanks to Tom Daley they reached their 2012 target.

Gymnastics will see the Americans/Asian nations as well although somebody like Max Whitlock looks world class in his own right.

We did pretty well at the World Champs last year getting 2 medals and 2 4th places.

Suspect in swimming the best you could hope for in 2016 is Sliver or Bronze for most.
  • Options
    CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Mark F wrote: »

I understand this policy has been reversed for 2016.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CarlLewis wrote: »
    I understand this policy has been reversed for 2016.

Has it? It would help if they reintroduced the individual pursuit races!
  • Options
    basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Has it? It would help if they reintroduced the individual pursuit races!
    In Rio two from each country will be allowed in the individual sprint and the Kerins for both genders.
  • Options
    nobabydaddynobabydaddy Posts: 2,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember there being a lull in cycling results half way though the Olympic cycle in 2010. The same thing is happening now. The energy and focus is all for Rio in 2016 for the team. They also won't have the pressure of preparing to be a host nation which could be a positive for them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I remember there being a lull in cycling results half way though the Olympic cycle in 2010. The same thing is happening now. The energy and focus is all for Rio in 2016 for the team. They also won't have the pressure of preparing to be a host nation which could be a positive for them.

I'm pretty sure the focus on the cycling performance levels will step up from now on. Certainly the young talent coming through is apparent.
  • Options
    alexjonesalexjones Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they're asking for they're best performance since 1908, have serious doubt about whether team Britain will be able to pull it off.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alexjones wrote: »
    they're asking for they're best performance since 1908, have serious doubt about whether team Britain will be able to pull it off.

Since the Lottery funding came in 20 years ago Team GB has revolutionised it's Olympics performance so comparing it to anything before the last couple of Olympics is pointless.

They will continue to be funded at levels equal or greater than they were in the cycle up to London 2012 so there's every chance that they can continue the arc of improvement they've been on since Sydney.
  • Options
    iris beaconiris beacon Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    Maybe the 2016 games will be a chance to show that we don't need to over-rely on cycling if cycling hits a slump. GB seem to be on the up in quite a few multi-medal events (gymnastics, for example), and I have a hunch the athletics and swimming teams will be stronger come 2016. It'll be hard to say until the Europeans and Worlds give a clearer picture, though.