Options

Our Zoo coming soon to BBC1

Comments

• Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Only seen episode 1 so far but really enjoyed it - the camel's expressions are priceless
  • Options
    TylersnanTylersnan Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know it is a really good program when you feel sad that there are only three episodes left! I got a strange look tonight when I actually clapped the penguins coming out of the van :blush:
  • Options
    Steveaki13Steveaki13 Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched the latest episode, and I really enjoyed it again.

I saw most of the first episode by pure chance and thought it was good.

So I have watched the next two episodes and am loving it.

The vicar is indeed hard to figure out and an intriguing character. He seems at one moment to give the family the benefit of the doubt and then behind their backs is against them.

Penguins seemed to clinch the deal.
  • Options
    Jackie BrownJackie Brown Posts: 3,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tylersnan wrote: »
    You know it is a really good program when you feel sad that there are only three episodes left! I got a strange look tonight when I actually clapped the penguins coming out of the van :blush:

That scene was amazing and heart warming! Even my other half who hadn't really been paying attention took notice and he was hooked. The penguins were so cute.
    And can I say that the cast are great especially June and Ralf Little has surprised me. Good casting.
  • Options
    MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saigo wrote: »
    Thats what I do. It is nice to watch on Sunday.

They should repeat it on a Sunday teatime. There isn't anything in it that belongs after the watershed.

I would have preferred The Village to have the Wednesday timeslot and vice versa to be honest.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.chesterzoo.org/memories/zoo/1930/june-williams-memories?categories=everything&page=1
    June Williams is the daughter of George Mottershead, founder of Chester Zoo. Here she shares her memories of her father.
  • Options
    MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tylersnan wrote: »

That was a nice scene. I suppose the villagers found the penguins both exotic and cute and most importantly not dangerous so they turned the tide of opinion.:)
  • Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've really fallen for this programme and it's become a must see. The penguins were lovely. Hope they help end the animosity from the villagers, that's if the Mottisheads can get to the runaway bear before anyone one from the village does! Keep hoping the female bear is about to give birth and she's not ill at all but having said that lying so still with her back to the camera 'her acting' is fabulous. :)
  • Options
    TylersnanTylersnan Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was a nice scene. I suppose the villagers found the penguins both exotic and cute and most importantly not dangerous so they turned the tide of opinion.:)
    That scene was amazing and heart warming! Even my other half who hadn't really been paying attention took notice and he was hooked. The penguins were so cute.
    And can I say that the cast are great especially June and Ralf Little has surprised me. Good casting.

There is something quite unique about penguins, not sure what it is about them but when we visited Marwell last year we spent hours with them.
    My husband also thinks the bear is ready to give birth which in itself is shocking because he never picks up these things. :o
    All in all, this by far the best thing on TV this year, loving it
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cressida wrote: »
    I've really fallen for this programme and it's become a must see. The penguins were lovely. Hope they help end the animosity from the villagers, that's if the Mottisheads can get to the runaway bear before anyone one from the village does! Keep hoping the female bear is about to give birth and she's not ill at all but having said that lying so still with her back to the camera 'her acting' is fabulous. :)

I was thinking she might be pregnant too. Although it's also possible she is slipping into Hibernation?
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is such a great programme. We know George succeeded but I find myself really rooting for him. Parts of it are so heartwarming I almost cry! The scene with the birds and then the penguins! Who doesn't love penguins? :) Love Sydney the camel and Mortimer, and I hope the male bear doesn't cause any trouble next week. and I hope the female bear is pregnant as another poster said!
    A Sunday teatime repeat would be a good idea (as someone said up thread).
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steveaki13 wrote: »
    The vicar is indeed hard to figure out and an intriguing character. He seems at one moment to give the family the benefit of the doubt and then behind their backs is against them.

To me, the vicar is an open book, in that he will do anything to get back at George for humiliating him at the regimental reunion, and buying the house he wanted to get his hands on. All the being "nicey nicey" (such as his offer of using the organ to Lizzie )is a smokescreen to hide his nasty streak and to get information to use against the family even if it means getting information out of a little kid.

After all, how many of the villagers would carry on supporting him if they found out how shallow he truly is?.

As to ep 3, nice touch with the penguins I thought, and a good episode all round especially Mu growing up a bit and taking some of the load off the others.

Can see old Lucy realising first about the vicar, and giving him a right old upbraiding about it....

For those who have read the original book on which the series is based, is there enough in it to make more than one series?.......(no spoilers of course)
  • Options
    shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    I am loving this series. ..my son is a zoo keeper and over the years has come home with all kinds of birds and animals from cockatoos to macaws had an emu for years and even a tamarin monkey. .I have no doubt if he had been around in this era before health and safety laws were so strict this would be him..
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    To me, the vicar is an open book, in that he will do anything to get back at George for humiliating him at the regimental reunion, and buying the house he wanted to get his hands on. All the being "nicey nicey" (such as his offer of using the organ to Lizzie )is a smokescreen to hide his nasty streak and to get information to use against the family even if it means getting information out of a little kid.

After all, how many of the villagers would carry on supporting him if they found out how shallow he truly is?.

As to ep 3, nice touch with the penguins I thought, and a good episode all round especially Mu growing up a bit and taking some of the load off the others.

Can see old Lucy realising first about the vicar, and giving him a right old upbraiding about it....

For those who have read the original book on which the series is based, is there enough in it to make more than one series?.......(no spoilers of course)
    k9fan wrote: »
    k9fan wrote: »
    http://www.chesterzoo.org/memories/zoo/1930/june-williams-memories?categories=everything&page=1
    June Williams is the daughter of George Mottershead, founder of Chester Zoo. Here she shares her memories of her father.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04gvbkz
    Drama series based on the true story of the Mottershead family who, in the face of staunch opposition and huge personal sacrifice, founded Chester Zoo in the 1930s.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/reviews/our-zoo-tv-review-a-heartwarming-period-drama--but-did-the-camels-enjoy-making-it-9709985.html
    Our Zoo (BBC1) differs in many respects from Benjamin Mee's 2008 book, We Bought a Zoo (later the Matt Damon movie), in that its protaganist begins a zoo from scratch (literally, his first purchase is a monkey) and it's in the 1930s.

But there are similarities. George Mottershead, a wounded First World War veteran, is portrayed here as dealing with post-traumatic stress. Aided by his parents, who sold their shop to raise money, he bought Oakfield Manor, which would become Chester Zoo. Mee was a freelance journalist who bought the ailing Dartmoor Zoo with help of his mother, lost his wife soon after and finally found happiness among the Siberian tigers and white-naped cranes.
  • Options
    WillpurryWillpurry Posts: 2,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-09-03/new-drama-our-zoo-could-run-for-decades
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is another thread running about what three minutes of television people remember. I think the scene with the penguins is going to become one that most people will remember. It was carefully handled so we had no idea what was in the back of the van before the door was opened, brilliant bit of writing.
  • Options
    dubgazdubgaz Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is such a lovely heart warming program and it is definately one of my favourite programs of the year. It should be repeated every Sunday also. I reckon it would get a lot of viewers on that day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear, only 3.98 million for last night.

Really hoped this would improve, but the beeb cant be overjoyed with these ratings so any hope for further series must be looking remote atm....
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A repeat at a more family friendly time would encourage a better audience for a second series.

I know the basic story of the Mottershead family buying the property and setting up the zoo is true, but how many of the incidentals were fact? Did he really walk penguins through the village? Was there really a scheming vicar and a hostile shopkeeper with a son who fell for the older daughter. Was the younger one bullied at school? She's still alive and gave this interview recently:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/pictures-meet-june-mottershead-whose-6896683
  • Options
    filmfan7filmfan7 Posts: 3,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is such a sweet touching series and so well acted by everyone !...loved the "penguin walk " the series reminds me of the sentiments of "The railway children" and "all creatures great and small "...hopefully this series will be up for a few awards next year !..it certainly deserves it !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Willpurry and gurney for the links....

Does anyone know how to find the AI (appreciation index is what its called right?)ratings for this?.
  • Options
    filmfan7filmfan7 Posts: 3,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoying it, it's a great story well acted. Bad news about the drop in viewers. Hopefully it picks up.

I Think the BBC totally misjudged how well received and popular this series would be !...typical BBC !
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Willpurry and gurney for the links....

Does anyone know how to find the AI (appreciation index is what its called right?)ratings for this?.

Somebody on the ratings thread might be able to help.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,591
    Forum Member
    filmfan7 wrote: »
    I Think the BBC totally misjudged how well received and popular this series would be !...typical BBC !

Spot on. Why a Wednesday spot and not even repeated.

Really enjoyed last night episode.