Options

Christmas songs not about Christmas.

pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,605
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Stay another day by East 17 is on radio. Weirdly for an xmas song, it's actually Christmas. Can you think of any other non Christmas songs? Power of love and what if

Comments

• Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jona Lewie's Stop The Cavalry was never designed as a Christmas song
  • Options
    GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would probably be quicker to list Christmas number 1s which WERE about Xmas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UK_Singles_Chart_Christmas_number_ones

So we're looking at:
    2004 (Do they know it's Christmas?)
    1990 (Saviour's Day)
    1989 (Do they know it's Christmas?)
    1988 (Mistletoe and Wine)
    1985 (Merry Christmas Everyone)
    1984 (Do they know it's Christmas?)
    1978 (Mary's Boy Child)
    1976 (When a Child is Born - a song I incidentally despise)
    1974 (Lonely this Christmas)
    1973 (Merry Christmas Everybody)
    1957 (Mary's Boy Child)
    1955 (Christmas Alphabet)

And that seems to be every Xmas number one from 1952 onwards which is actually about Christmas, which makes 40 Xmas number ones which aren't about Christmas.

And that's before we get onto the rest of the chart.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't necessarily mean xmas number ones. Just the songs that are wheeled out ever year
  • Options
    GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I got that. Just struck me as interesting how many Christmas number 1s have zilch to do with Christmas!
  • Options
    jonloch1jonloch1 Posts: 3,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fairytale of New York - if you actually listen to it, its got absolutely nothing to do with Xmas, its just because of the ONE line in the chorus 'and the bells were ringing out for xmas day' that its called a xmas song. it does make me laugh that people think of it as happy cheery xmas song when there's a line in it where kirsty sings 'you scumbag you maggot you cheap [something something] merry xmas you arse thank god its our last' lol

East 17 - Stay another Day

Spice Girls - 2 become 1/too much/goodbye - only reason they're called supposed 'xmas song' is because they were no1 on xmas
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One song which isn't about Christmas but could accidentally fall into the Christmas song category like Stay Another Day is Elton John Nikita- it has a wintery sound and lyrics about cold weather
  • Options
    DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frankie Goes to Hollywood - The power of love has got nothing to do with Christmas.
  • Options
    chrisqcchrisqc Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As i was reading this thread this song just got played on tv

This one's for the children by new kids on the block, it was the lead off single their merry merry christmas album and that song has nothing to do with xmas
  • Options
    AudioRebelAudioRebel Posts: 32,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most songs with the word 'Winter' in the title apply here.
  • Options
    gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most songs with the word 'Winter' in the title apply here.
    This little ditty by Freddie, weeks from death

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjWQZBmJf6M
  • Options
    D_PeugeotD_Peugeot Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fairytale of New York - if you actually listen to it, its got absolutely nothing to do with Xmas, its just because of the ONE line in the chorus 'and the bells were ringing out for xmas day' that its called a xmas song. it does make me laugh that people think of it as happy cheery xmas song when there's a line in it where kirsty sings 'you scumbag you maggot you cheap [something something] merry xmas you arse thank god its our last' lol

Spice Girls - 2 become 1/too much/goodbye - only reason they're called supposed 'xmas song' is because they were no1 on xmas

But it is though, MacGowan wrote it intending it to be a Christmas hit and it refers to Christmas numerous times.

It's more an alternative Christmas song than a traditional one.
  • Options
    HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Probably We All Stand Together by Paul McCartney. Not sure if it was intended as a Christmas song but it was a big hit this time 30 years ago.

Pipes Of Peace is another one come to think of it. Again, not sure if it was intended to be a Christmas song.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DadDancer wrote: »
    Frankie Goes to Hollywood - The power of love has got nothing to do with Christmas.

True, but the video is of the Nativity.
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keeping the dream alive by Frieheit
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=John_Lochery;76147574]Fairytale of New York - if you actually listen to it, its got absolutely nothing to do with Xmas, its just because of the ONE line in the chorus 'and the bells were ringing out for xmas day' that its called a xmas song.[/B] it does make me laugh that people think of it as happy cheery xmas song when there's a line in it where kirsty sings 'you scumbag you maggot you cheap [something something] merry xmas you arse thank god its our last' lol

Spice Girls - 2 become 1/too much/goodbye - only reason they're called supposed 'xmas song' is because they were no1 on xmas[/QUOTE]

The line "it was christmas eve babe, in the drunk tank" makes it obvious its a christmas song
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D_Peugeot wrote: »
    But it is though, MacGowan wrote it intending it to be a Christmas hit and it refers to Christmas numerous times.

It's more an alternative Christmas song than a traditional one.

Of course 'Fairytale of New York' is a Christmas song, just read the lyrics, brilliant as they are. It's a story set against the background of Christmas time. Isn't 'Last Christmas" not the same?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mull of Kintyre. Apart from the fact it's awful, you only hear it at Christmas
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Never Had A Dream Come True - S Club 7
    Not about Christmas but the video has fake snow and has a winter scene.

What amazes me most is that Easy 17's Stay Another Day is played at Christmas. It's not really a festive song as such. I looked it up and it's actually about the songwriter's brother's suicide :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Somethin' Stupid - Robbie Williams ft Nicole Kidman
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    Never Had A Dream Come True - S Club 7
    Not about Christmas but the video has fake snow and has a winter scene.

What amazes me most is that Easy 17's Stay Another Day is played at Christmas. It's not really a festive song as such. I looked it up and it's actually about the songwriter's brother's suicide :cry:

I used to be able to listen to that East 17 track until the other day. I've known what it was about for years but I had to turn it off. :( Its probably because I'm getting a little older.
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Jona Lewie's Stop The Cavalry was never designed as a Christmas song

It was an antiwar song and he wasn't too pleased at first when it was used at christmas but when he realised how much money it was making he decided to keep quiet. He says it has made him quite rich.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's quite a few records we associate with Christmas that don't actually mention it:
    Cliff Richard's 'Saviour's Day' for a start.
    'Baby it's cold outside'
    I always think of Fleet Foxes' 'White Winter Hymnal' as one of the loveliest Christmas songs, but it isn't https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gml-nAJGRbY
    'Sleigh Ride' - The Ronettes version is probably best known
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Co7ZGOjGV4A
    'Jing-a-ling jing-a-ling'
    Frosty the Snowman doesn't mention Christmas either :o

Not a new thing - some of the carols don't:
    'Child in a manger', 'Ding dong merrily on high', 'It came upon the midnight clear' ..
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keeping the dream alive by Frieheit

eh?.... ive never heard that referred to as a crimbo song.

as for 'fairytale'... ive never considered it a crimbo song, but a song that was set around crimbo and mentions it.

whats christmassy about it? even the boys of the ny pd choir were singing galway bay http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galway_Bay_%28song%29 which isnt a crimbo song, and this appears to be in spite of the bells ringing out for christmas day.

surely a christmas song is about christmas and not one that mentions it and is contemptous of it.
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chris de burgh...a spaceman came traveling... just been on pointless... why is this considered a crimbo song?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mimicole wrote: »
    I used to be able to listen to that East 17 track until the other day. I've known what it was about for years but I had to turn it off. :( Its probably because I'm getting a little older.

I can't listen to that song at all. I always start crying when I hear it :(