Options

Completely ignoring Christmas TV

jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
Forum Member
The most irrelevant TV day of the year in my opinion.

Why moan about Xmas telly in this day and age?

I've sorted my day with plenty of DVDS, books on my Kindle, and stuff I'd recorded/downloaded beforehand.

Why moan at all?

Even in the past, videotapes, CDS and books sorted the day.

28 million only watched Morecambe and Wise because there was bugger all else on. If there'd been VCRs more widespread back then, it would've been smaller.

Comments

• Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jo2015 wrote: »

I've sorted my day with plenty of DVDS, books on my Kindle, and stuff I'd recorded/downloaded beforehand.

Why moan at all?

28 million only watched Morecambe and Wise because there was bugger all else on. If there'd been VCRs more widespread back then, it would've been smaller.
    Disagree with the BIB, watched some Youtube vids of M&W + Two Ronnies Xmas specials and boy, are they missed.
    But certainly agree with the first line, it's a wate of paper bothering publishing the Xmas schedules these days. A piece of A4 paper with "nope, nothing to see here" on would suffice.
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Same here op just chilling with plenty to watch on Netflix.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bah humbig to OP.
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member

Why moan at all?

What ever floats your boat --- Christmas isn't all about plonking oneself in front of the TV.
    Not going into the REAL meaning of Christmas that's a totally different topic.

For my better half and I, a brisk walk on the local beach in the winter sunshine saying "hello" to like minded people --then back home to the turkey and a relaxing afternoon.
    TV is on in the corner but just for background carols earlier.

My Christmas certainly isn't controlled by what is on or not on TV...or what has been recorded for the big day ..
    Regards
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering that most people are otherwise occupied, you would hardly expect large amounts of money being spent on new programmes for Christmas Day daytime viewing. The programmes improve in the evening.
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member

And more than three channels to watch, of course. Absolutely spot on with the rest though. They weren't THAT good!
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And more than three channels to watch, of course. Absolutely spot on with the rest though. They weren't THAT good!

They were pretty good:D:D
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Completely opposite here. I'm watching Doctor Who right now and I never watch it. Thinking to myself, this Jenna Coleman is a real beaut.
  • Options
    SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davor wrote: »
    Completely opposite here. I'm watching Doctor Who right now and I never watch it. Thinking to myself, this Jenna Coleman is a real beaut.

We've got that much stuff to watch there simply ain't enough time! :blush: ... bbciplayer & itvplayer are gonna get a mauling in the next few days! :o ... 2 hours of downton Abby tonight! :D
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    They were pretty good:D:D

The same programme now would struggle to break 10 million.
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    We've got that much stuff to watch there simply ain't enough time! :blush: ... bbciplayer & itvplayer are gonna get a mauling in the next few days! :o ... 2 hours of downton Abby tonight! :D

I wont be watching Downtown Abby tonight. I prefer to watch it on blu-ray. Much better viewing experience that way. Though I have to wait until it becomes available, but it's worth the wait.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member

Are you wearing a vest?
  • Options
    Aaron_ScotlandAaron_Scotland Posts: 8,487
    Forum Member
    Agreed, We turned off after getting fed up around the time Puss In Boots came on and popped in our Lost box set. Loving it.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »

But people still moan that 'there is nothing to watch on TV'!
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I'm not bothered about Christmas TV either. I'm happy with DVDs and the internet. My parents care more about it though and they have the TV mag beside them. They seem to think it's compulsory to watch TV at Christmas and it's not.
  • Options
    NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,198
    Forum Member
    My folks are in the living room watching all the soaps. I watched the first part of Corrie, seeing Rita walking round the street spreading some Christmas cheer, then in Platts with Audrey popping round "Ooh what you all still doing in your jim jams, hanestly!". However my enjoyment ended after it showed that new family playing air hockey with chickens in their back garden, then the Windasses... by then i walked out of the living room with my half eaten chocolate cheesecake (very sickly) i placed it in the fridge and retired to my room.

However the best is yet to come. I'm going to cut myself a couple of slices of Christmas chocolate log (looks delicious!), highly anticipating tonight's EastEnders.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member

How about 27 million?
  • Options
    sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not bothered about Christmas TV either. I'm happy with DVDs and the internet. My parents care more about it though and they have the TV mag beside them. They seem to think it's compulsory to watch TV at Christmas and it's not.

Well the only thing I watched on TV was the queen and a bit after on the queen's garden but other than that it was DVD's and board games all the way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be interested to know which was the most watched (in the UK) youtube video?!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member

I think they would get 27.

Class is class and the timeless genius of them would attract the attention of a huge amount of licence payers.
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why moan at all?

Yes, so people should go and buyout for extra content, while still paying the BBC to come up with TV shows that won't be watched?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    Yes, so people should go and buyout for extra content, while still paying the BBC to come up with TV shows that won't be watched?

That's clearly got to be addressed now. People are being forced to pay the licence yet they aren't watching the programmes.
    Think it will go the way of the BBC providing a news channel and a basic service, and maybe subscription for the good stuff - if there is any? - and some advertising on top. Can't now justify the licence if they can't put on shows good enough to get even 8m on one of the supposedly best evening's for TV viewing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    As far as I'm concerned those that dodge their TV licence should be shot and deported.

Why should I pay for others who don't? The people who do this probably also shop lift at Tesco.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    howard h wrote: »
    That's clearly got to be addressed now. People are being forced to pay the licence yet they aren't watching the programmes.
    Think it will go the way of the BBC providing a news channel and a basic service, and maybe subscription for the good stuff - if there is any? - and some advertising on top. Can't now justify the licence if they can't put on shows good enough to get even 8m on one of the supposedly best evening's for TV viewing.

Again, nobody is "forced" to pay, you can opt out.

And to use your logic, surely subscription media should charge less to cover the days when not many are watching?
  • Options
    sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    Again, nobody is "forced" to pay, you can opt out.

And to use your logic, surely subscription media should charge less to cover the days when not many are watching?

I think you find that to watch ITV or SKY you do.