PC Not Starting Up and Crashing

I'm afraid this is a bit long-winded.

On Sunday my PC crashed suddenly. I had two browsers open as well as iPlayer, which was downloading a programme. A blue screen came up saying something about memory, but it wasn't up long enough for me to read it all, and the PC restarted.

It gave me two options: Windows startup repair or to start Windows normally. I tried starting it normally, hoping it would work and it loaded as usual. But after about a minute it crashed again with a blue screen which I think said something different to the first one.

I tried starting/restarting it a lot of times, trying startup repair, starting Windows normally and in safe mode. It has fully loaded a couple of times but crashed after a minute or so each time. Every other time it hasn't loaded: displaying error screens, or just crashed while trying to load.

I spoke to my uncle, who repairs PCs for a living, over the phone (he doesn't live locally) and he advised me to put in my Windows 7 disc and try booting from that. I tried every option on that but still no joy. He then got me to open up the PC and remove a RAM stick (if that's the right term). I did that and the PC worked fine with just one of the sticks in, though obviously more slowly. So then I removed the one still in and replaced it with the other, and put it in the other holder (?). When I turned the PC on it let out this loud beep/alarm type thing and wouldn't load. I tried moving the sticks of RAM about and putting them in every RAM/RAM holder combination possible. The computer still made the beeping noise no matter what I did.

My uncle couldn't figure it out so my dad called a local repair man out for me, but I don't think he explained the problem properly as the repair man fixed the beeping issue but not the startup one. So we called him again today and he tried fixing it again, telling us the problem was using Avira anti-virus and Spybot together.

So I turned my PC on when I got it back. Straight away there was a problem with the mouse and keyboard not working, and the screen crashed at the log in screen. I restarted with the mouse in a different USB port and both it and the keyboard worked fine. The PC turned on but then crashed in under a minute and hasn't loaded fully since.

I took a couple of photos of the blue screen with my phone, which I uploaded (in case anyone here can help):
http://i.imgur.com/oulZA.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/iADym.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/gbI6c.jpg

I also had an error saying 'BAD_POOL_ERROR'.

I have a USB mouse, a USB keyboard, USB speakers, a printer and a router all plugged into the PC.

I was just wondering if someone on here would be able to help with the info and photos, so I don't have to call this guy again. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Comments

• LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    He then got me to open up the PC and remove a RAM stick (if that's the right term). I did that and the PC worked fine with just one of the sticks in, though obviously more slowly. So then I removed the one still in and replaced it with the other, and put it in the other holder (?).

If it worked fine with one stick of ram then you would think that the other stick is faulty, maybe replacing it would solve the problem.
    So we called him again today and he tried fixing it again, telling us the problem was using Avira anti-virus and Spybot together.

If you have teatimer switched on it may interfere with Avira but I don't think it would cause this problem, but if you can get it going you could disable it (teatimer).

If it is the paid version of Avira then see here.
  • loddellboshloddellbosh Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your reply. :)

I probably wasn't clear in my post re the RAM. When I put the original, seemingly working stick back in in the same place it still beeped. I tried it with each stick in on its own, in each holder, both sticks in together, in one order, then switched. It beeped each time. The repair man we called managed to fix that issue, he said it was a problem with the things that hold the sticks.

I have used Spybot and Avira together for several years with no problem, but the guy removed Spybot and replaced it with something else (Malware Bytes or something). It's the free version of Avira.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    Looks to me to be bad memory.

Usually get these screens if overclocking memory/cpu if hardware is running too hot or past its limits.

1. keep hitting F8 at boot and try to see if computer will run in safe mode. This runs computer with basic settings.

2. clear cmos on motherboard. This will clear bios settings to default.

3. reinstall windows 7. If you have a windows 7 disk reinstall, but remember to back up any data you want to keep. though i think you can reinstall windows but keep data intact.

Any technical information? cpu, memory, and motherboard types?
  • Blackjack DavyBlackjack Davy Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of your RAM sticks is dead by the sound of it. Get a replacement stick or pair if they're matched.

At least that was the start of it, as to whats happening now well it seems to have gone beyond that. Sounds like the memory slots are at fault. Try some other RAM if possible and see if it's still playing up.

If thats true theres no way to fix that without replacing the motherboard.

Avira and Spybot together causing it is nonsense.