Options

Christmas TV this year is terrible!

80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
Forum Member
✭✭
Is it just me, or is the Christmas telly even worse than usual this year?

Looking at what's on tonight, it's just hours of soap after soap! Where's the variety? Years ago there was actual specials and entertainment shows. Now it's just the same old stuff. Even a lot of the satellite channels seem to have given up.

Lack of imagination or just lazy programming by the TV channels?

Anyone else struggling to find anything decent to watch?

Comments

• Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Doctor Who is on as long as I can watch that I don't care what else is on for rest of the day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doctor Who is on as long as I can watch that I don't care what else is on for rest of the day.

Yes I bet a lot of Who fans are looking forward to that.

I don't even mind repeats! In fact I would go as far as saying I prefer them! I remember one year Challenge TV played a day of Christmas specials - it was brill! They're just playing hours of bloody Millionaire today and I can't stand that! >:(

Gold seem to think there was only ever 'Only Fools & Horses' to repeat 365 days a year too!
  • Options
    Ba Na NaBa Na Na Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been terrible for the past few years.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Morecambe and Wise, Dads Army and Two Ronnies on repeat....sounds like a normal Christmas to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Morecambe and Wise, Dads Army and Two Ronnies on repeat....sounds like a normal Christmas to me.

Got all of them on DVD and have watched them a few times over the last few weeks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Roy Wood, is that you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Roy Wood, is that you?
    No his great song is my Christmas Ring tone
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I usually tune in for Doctor Who then immediately switch the television off.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    It's absolute garbage. Thank God for the internet! I'd be bored outta my mind without it.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to watch that James May show on BBC2 about 5 pm. They're usually quite good........like the one about building the miles long model railway between two towns and the one about flying a model plane across the channel. I've never seen Top Gear but I like James May.....his shows with Ozzie Clarke are usually entertaining.

Then there's University Challenge at about 8pm and QI at 10pm

all on BBC2...........

Between the shows I'll stick Sky News on and come on here to moan about how there's nowt on telly.........:D
  • Options
    D_PeugeotD_Peugeot Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When has it ever been good? It's always been full of films and one-off specials.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    D_Peugeot wrote: »
    When has it ever been good? It's always been full of films and one-off specials.

True I think it was last year maybe the year before when someone posted scans of a old TV guide from the 80's and it wasn't any better than only difference is we were kids and or big films took a lot longer to get on TV so when one did it was a big deal.
  • Options
    howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    A prize on familyfortunes...sponsored by....Comet!!!!
    Wonder if its a repeat?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm taping Carry on Camping & On The Buses where they go to the holiday park for later, then there's the Christmas 1978 Top of the Pops on as well.

So many shows they could replay, but never do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »
    I'm taping Carry on Camping & On The Buses where they go to the holiday park for later, then there's the Christmas 1978 Top of the Pops on as well.

So many shows they could replay, but never do.

What's taping?????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »
    I'm taping Carry on Camping & On The Buses where they go to the holiday park for later.

Already got them on DVD (at least twice each)
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    have watched carry on camping and am now watching carry on screaming, am looking forward to the Doctor Who Christmas special
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christmas wouldn't be christmas without an hour of albert square misery and the vic getting smashed up for the 100th time ^_^
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    howardl wrote: »
    A prize on familyfortunes...sponsored by....Comet!!!!
    Wonder if its a repeat?

It probably is as it would have been filmed sometime before they went out of business in 2013.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    howardl wrote: »
    What's taping?????

Lol! I mean set the TiVo box :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It probably is as it would have been filmed sometime before they went out of business in 2013.

What about the Swan teasmaid and Bullworker being given as prizes on 3-2-1 just now? Do you reckon that a repeat too?
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    It seems like they do not produce any new stuff for Christmas anymore. Everywhere you look, it's just repeats of good old christmasy programmes and films. They don't seem to bother to come up with something new and festive. I feel sorry for those who bought a copy of the Christmas Radio Times.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davor wrote: »
    I feel sorry for those who bought a copy of the Christmas Radio Times.

I almost did but decided not to bother. Glad i didn't bother
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It probably is as it would have been filmed sometime before they went out of business in 2013.[/QUOTE
    Umm...it was a tounge in cheek comment;-)
  • Options
    Blackjack DavyBlackjack Davy Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be thankful, you might have to be stuck with relatives with days on end with nothing but the TV to relieve the boredom.