Options

Visiting cat dilemma

snorksnork Posts: 1,464
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello,

As everyone with a pet is aware it has been very cold recently. I have been a little worried about one of the cats in our neighbourhood. I have known of this cat since we moved in about a year ago, it's very friendly and affectionate. At first we thought it must be a kitten because she is so small, but she has stayed a very small size. Anyway, she has been out all day in the cold weather and has been approaching our house and mewing to get in, which I did because I felt sorry for her in that in that I felt it was too cold for her to be out. Obviously now that I have let her in once she is coming back all the time. She was in ours for about 5 hours today, before I had to put her out to go and pick up my daughter.

I keep watching to see where she goes when I put her out but I can't see which house she belongs to. I did think she was going to a certain house, who don't seem to come back until about 7pm every night. They don't have a cat flap either so she can't get in when they aren't there, but I can't be sure its them.

Anyway gone into the kitchen and she is sitting on my window ledge mewing to be let in, so she obviously hasn't gone "home".

I know that cats will go to people who feed them and give them warmth and I have put myself in this situation really. Should I keep letting her in or just turn a cold shoulder?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    Sounds like she's not going to leave you alone now, bless. It's always hard to leave cats outside, especially in this weather.
    She's been hanging around for a year?

Have you asked around the neighbourhood and put posters up? Also worth taking her to the vets or animal shelter to check for a microchip (they can also definitely sex and approx. age her). They might be able to give you a collar which asks if she has an owner or not. Some Cats Protection branches might also do those - good idea to check with them she hasn't been reported lost and they can put her on their 'found' bit. Try and take a photo if you can.

Good luck :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mouths wrote: »
    Sounds like she's not going to leave you alone now, bless. It's always hard to leave cats outside, especially in this weather.
    She's been hanging around for a year?

Have you asked around the neighbourhood and put posters up? Also worth taking her to the vets or animal shelter to check for a microchip (they can also definitely sex and approx. age her). They might be able to give you a collar which asks if she has an owner or not. Some Cats Protection branches might also do those - good idea to check with them she hasn't been reported lost and they can put her on their 'found' bit. Try and take a photo if you can.

Good luck :)

She's not been trying to get in for the whole year, just since the cold weather. My garden is one of her "rights of way". She hasn't got a collar on, but I know she must live locally. I have thought about posters etc, but I didn't want to cause offence to the owners in case they thought I was calling them out on neglect. I might have to do it soon though. If I'm honest, she is a lovely cat and very affectionate and I would love to have her, but there is a dog in the house and I'm sure her owners would miss her if I just "kept" her.

Am I being over sensitive, are cats ok to be out in this weather?
  • Options
    flakecakeflakecake Posts: 1,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you have to ask yourself are you prepared to take this cat in full time if it turns out to be homeless? Its not really fair on the cat to blow hot and cold with it, letting it in sometimes, then ignoring it other times. Best thing to do is what the poster above suggested and try to locate the owner through a microchip. If she does turn out to have a home at least you can rest easy that she has somewhere to go. If she doesn't you can decide it you want to keep her yourself or have Cat Protection find her a home and keep her safe in the meantime. Its very hard to see cats outside in this weather but as you already know they can be chancers and go where the food and warmth is dished out when they're out on their travels. Just as easily, she could be a stray and have nowhere to go. She obviously has become drawn to you and as you care, for your own peace of mind too, try to find out where she belongs, if anywhere and go from there. good luck and keep us updated :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    flakecake wrote: »
    I think you have to ask yourself are you prepared to take this cat in full time if it turns out to be homeless? Its not really fair on the cat to blow hot and cold with it, letting it in sometimes, then ignoring it other times. Best thing to do is what the poster above suggested and try to locate the owner through a microchip. If she does turn out to have a home at least you can rest easy that she has somewhere to go. If she doesn't you can decide it you want to keep her yourself or have Cat Protection find her a home and keep her safe in the meantime. Its very hard to see cats outside in this weather but as you already know they can be chancers and go where the food and warmth is dished out when they're out on their travels. Just as easily, she could be a stray and have nowhere to go. She obviously has become drawn to you and as you care, for your own peace of mind too, try to find out where she belongs, if anywhere and go from there. good luck and keep us updated :)

I totally agree.
    I don't think the owners would be offended if you put posters up, I think they'd be more mortified that the cat seems to be trying to move in with you!
    If you do want the cat to live with you, think about your dog and if it's fair to both parties.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right then, I'm on a mission to find out where this cat comes from. I'll ring round the shelters tomorrow and get a piccie of her, shouldn't be too hard as she seems so amenable.

Thanks for the advice. I just didn't want to do the wrong thing by everybody, owners, me and especially my feline friend.
  • Options
    flakecakeflakecake Posts: 1,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snork wrote: »
    Right then, I'm on a mission to find out where this cat comes from. I'll ring round the shelters tomorrow and get a piccie of her, shouldn't be too hard as she seems so amenable.

Thanks for the advice. I just didn't want to do the wrong thing by everybody, owners, me and especially my feline friend.

Its lovely that you care. I have 3 cats and wouldn't be at all offended if someone had a concern about one of them. I'd be happy that someone was looking out for them. You're doing the right thing, a good thing, and hope all turns out well for the cat :D