Options

Official International Cricket 2010 Thread (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There might be but where do you have it? London or J'burg? ;)

London :)
  • Options
    fab cescfab cesc Posts: 19,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There might be but where do you have it? London or J'burg? ;)

Steady on, we haven't won that world cup yet :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fab cesc wrote: »
    Steady on, we haven't won that world cup yet :p

Brilliant. :)
  • Options
    guest5234guest5234 Posts: 1,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ff999 wrote: »
    Am I the only person sitting here wishing people wouldn't use the words, Easy, Doddle, Breezing through etc?
    Tempting fate, folks!!

Edit 1: I didn't even know Pietersen had gone when I was typing that!:eek:

Edit #2 oh for goodness sake another gone (head in hands smiley)

I agree although in the end it was a doddle and quite easy to be honest....felt like we breezed through.
  • Options
    Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done England. I'm not used to them hammering other teams. :o
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    great effort today well done to the lads
  • Options
    bordersboybordersboy Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a Scot I have only one word to say after today's match - CONGRATULATIONS!!
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kevin Pieterson!!!!

I bow down and while I am down there I will eat my humble pie:o

The majority of this side should be the 50 overs side. As well as Lumb as done I don't think he has done enough to keep Strauss out. He should, however, be in the squad:)

fab cesc wrote: »
    Pakistan did lose that match. Yes Australia, mainly Hussey, batted fantastically but if Pakistan had just bowled well there is no way they could have lost from the position they were in. Ajmal's last over was particularly bad, he just kept bowling it in the slot for Hussey to slog.
    Ajmal is a good bowler but he shouldn't have been bowling that last over:o
  • Options
    Tel69Tel69 Posts: 27,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really pleased that we've finally won a limited overs trophy!!!! The whole team deserve huge credit as does Andy Flower who has completely changed the way we approach limited overs cricket. Like Sulla says I suspect Lumb will make way for Strauss in the 50 over format but there's no reason why the rest of them shouldn't keep their places.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    Just imagine if Notts could get all their international players to play for them at Twenty20 this year.

Swann, Broad , Sidebottom , David Hussey and Nannes. Pretty good team.

I am really pleased for Ryan.. His selection was critcised , I admit by me as well , but he has been one of the stars of the tournament. The English lads should get a great reception if they ever turn up at Trent Bridge this season
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    A great win by England that shows that Tha Aussies are beatable im glad we have finally won a global event lets hope we can repeat it next year in the 50 over version
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kwscott wrote: »
    A great win by England that shows that Tha Aussies are beatable im glad we have finally won a global event lets hope we can repeat it next year in the 50 over version

Of course they are beatable.

For a few years now the Aistralians have got some wins because of the "they are Australian, they are better than us" idea with all countries. there's an element of bullying about it at times.

We stood up to them in 05 and noted quickly last year that they weren't overly formidable -and did so again last night.

The same used to apply to the West Indies in the past.

A few years ago a County would sign an Aussie as an OP and they would do well. In more recent times some do well, others rather less well.

Again, the same happened with the West Indies.
  • Options
    Joe19Joe19 Posts: 1,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely delighted we've won an international cup, hope we can use this and build on it and try to win the World Cup in 2011.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've come to the conclusion that baby Pietersen was a very helpful distraction.
    There might have been less chance for him to ponder 'ones errors' and in doing so make another.
    That's without mentioning the feel good factor of it.
  • Options
    jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member
    I had a look at the cricket section of the website for the Sydney Morning Herald and their lead item is the Aussie womens team winning their Twenty20 trophy! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Frood wrote: »
    Of course they are beatable.

For a few years now the Aistralians have got some wins because of the "they are Australian, they are better than us" idea with all countries. there's an element of bullying about it at times.

We stood up to them in 05 and noted quickly last year that they weren't overly formidable -and did so again last night.

The same used to apply to the West Indies in the past.

A few years ago a County would sign an Aussie as an OP and they would do well. In more recent times some do well, others rather less well.

Again, the same happened with the West Indies.

Well, the West Indies begain to decline in the early noughties. They've not replaced Ambrose, Walsh, Marshall etc. The Aussies will always churn out quality players because of their system, sporting culture etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why was Michael Clarke captain? He's not even a very good T20 player as the stats from this article show:

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/clarke-in-firing-line-after-final-capitulation-20100517-v9ei.html

He should've batted well down the order.
  • Options
    fab cescfab cesc Posts: 19,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many captains can you name who had a good tournament? In regards to their own performance rather than how they lead the team.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well Clarke's clearly not a particularly good T20 player full stop as the stats show - someone with that low a strike rate. He seems to be the captain just because he's the 50 over captain.

Collingwood didn't have a great tournament but then he's a 'proper' T20 player (and a proper test player for that matter :)) who's performed well in T20 before unlike Clarke.
  • Options
    Tel69Tel69 Posts: 27,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Clarke got the job because he's being groomed to take over from Ponting eventually for the test and ODI sides. Wether this will have any bearing on that long term plan is doubtful.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jo2015 wrote: »
    Why was Michael Clarke captain? He's not even a very good T20 player as the stats from this article show:

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/clarke-in-firing-line-after-final-capitulation-20100517-v9ei.html

He should've batted well down the order.

To be fair, he didnt have a bad record in the competition did he ? Played 7 won 6
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    Well Clarke's clearly not a particularly good T20 player full stop as the stats show - someone with that low a strike rate. He seems to be the captain just because he's the 50 over captain.

Collingwood didn't have a great tournament but then he's a 'proper' T20 player (and a proper test player for that matter :)) who's performed well in T20 before unlike Clarke.

I think Ponting is still the 50 over captain so i have no idea ehy he is their 20/20 captain
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, the West Indies begain to decline in the early noughties. They've not replaced Ambrose, Walsh, Marshall etc. The Aussies will always churn out quality players because of their system, sporting culture etc.

Actually the West Indies decline began in the nineties. Lara and then Chanderpaul helped paper over some of the crack with the batting but the quality support was gone. Likewise the back up bowling to Walsh and Ambrose was much weaker - the former would have been a 'back up' bowler, albeit a fine one in the 80s team.

Re the Australians - the ones being exported into County (and even Club) cricket are not as sure to do well as those a few years back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Frood wrote: »
    Actually the West Indies decline began in the nineties. Lara and then Chanderpaul helped paper over some of the crack with the batting but the quality support was gone. Likewise the back up bowling to Walsh and Ambrose was much weaker - the former would have been a 'back up' bowler, albeit a fine one in the 80s team.

Re the Australians - the ones being exported into County (and even Club) cricket are not as sure to do well as those a few years back.

Good point, after posting I remembered their losing at home to Australia in '95. And they drew 2 - 2 in England later that summer. They even drew 2 - 2 in England in '91...with Viv Richards.

In 2000, they had Ambrose and Walsh and a pair of interchangeable anonymous back up bowlers.
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Congrats to England on winning the T20 cup.

England did play well all tournament. I was expecting a much closer match, in the end England made it look easy.