Scottish Fitba Thread (Part 7)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see Boyd is still being linked with Newcastle. I honestly think he'd struggle terribly in the EPL. The logic that a player scoring a lot of goals in a lower league will be able to make a step up has hurt countless teams in recent years and I think it would be the same with Boyd. Rather than looking solely at goalscoring records I think you have to look at the actual attributes a player brings to the table and in Boyd's case I just don't see him being a success.

People use Steven Fletcher as an example in Boyd's favour - a player who was far less prolific in the SPL, but went to the EPL and was a success - but Fletcher has all of the attributes required of an EPL striker. He has good technique, a good work rate and he's good at holding the ball up. Boyd does none of these things well, all he has in his favour is that he's a decent finisher (though by no means a much better finisher than many other players in the EPL). I'd like to see him do well for the sake of the national team, but my honest opinion is that he'd be the next Afonso Alves - great scoring record at a lower level, complete flop at a higher one.
  • bhoy07bhoy07 Posts: 25,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bunk_medal wrote: »
    I see Boyd is still being linked with Newcastle. I honestly think he'd struggle terribly in the EPL. The logic that a player scoring a lot of goals in a lower league will be able to make a step up has hurt countless teams in recent years and I think it would be the same with Boyd. Rather than looking solely at goalscoring records I think you have to look at the actual attributes a player brings to the table and in Boyd's case I just don't see him being a success.

People use Steven Fletcher as an example in Boyd's favour - a player who was far less prolific in the SPL, but went to the EPL and was a success - but Fletcher has all of the attributes required of an EPL striker. He has good technique, a good work rate and he's good at holding the ball up. Boyd does none of these things well, all he has in his favour is that he's a decent finisher (though by no means a much better finisher than many other players in the EPL). I'd like to see him do well for the sake of the national team, but my honest opinion is that he'd be the next Afonso Alves - great scoring record at a lower level, complete flop at a higher one.

Kris Boyd has scored 164 goals in the SPL in 10 years - only one of those goals have been against Celtic, hardly the record of someone who will do well in a bigger league.

If Boyd does go to the SPL I'm 100% sure he will not score more than 10 goals in a season - in fact I'd give it 2 years before he is back at Rangers.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bhoy07 wrote: »
    Kris Boyd has scored 164 goals in the SPL in 10 years - only one of those goals have been against Celtic, hardly the record of someone who will do well in a bigger league.

If Boyd does go to the SPL I'm 100% sure he will not score more than 10 goals in a season - in fact I'd give it 2 years before he is back at Rangers.
    Think you mean the EPL! lol:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Think you mean the EPL! lol:D

oops :o
  • jill1812jill1812 Posts: 12,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

True, look at Shaun Maloney.

But you never know how someone will react to new circumstances. This time last season would you've picked Blackpool to be on their way to the EPL, with Charlie Adam as one of their key players?

I think Boyd's record against Celtic is one of circumstance more than anything, I mean Darren Dods scored against you last season.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jill1812 wrote: »
    True, look at Shaun Maloney.

He chased the money and became homesick. Maloney went as a winger, and wasn't helped with his injuries.
    I think Boyd's record against Celtic is one of circumstance more than anything, I mean Darren Dods scored against you last season.

Boyd's record against Celtic is marginally worse than his european record. Can't all be because of circumstance.

Boyd is just a cheaper Dave Nugent.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He chased the money and became homesick. Maloney went as a winger, and wasn't helped with his injuries.

That homesickness would probably have been cured if he'd been able to get a game in the first team.
    Boyd's record against Celtic is marginally worse than his european record. Can't all be because of circumstance.

No, but it's not all because he's not good enough. I actually think it's more he doesn't work hard enough than he's not good enough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Since he got arrested.

And before you ask Timboy no, I don't think he should be dropped. He hasn't been convicted of two violent offences.
  • croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well you can usually be classed as a "Star" once you figure heavily for the two in a row SPL champions ... add to the fact that he is also an Internationalist and it does make his "Star" rise somewhat.:p

He's still shite mind.;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CU reporting that BBC Wales sources believe Joe Ledley is joining Celtic.

Guardian reporting Celtic are set to offer Craig Bellamy a move out of City apparently there is room in the wage budget for a £60-70k a week player.
  • oilcatoilcat Posts: 27,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could use someone like him.

United need to get a least one central defender in the close season, we lost Webster and Wilkie, Darren Dods is kicking 35 and we could lose Garry Kenneth. Hill and Kovakevic could step in but we need another Wilkie.

Well we have still got Zander and Ifil, Consodine will be back from injury, (remember that the pairing of Conso and Ifil was one of the best regarding goals against in the SPL early on in the season) and we have just signed a Northern Ireland international defender in McArdle
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a matter of when Lennon, Thompson and Mjallby are annouced rather than if. Also rumours that Jimmy Bullard will be the first signing of the summer possibly with Ledley (who is also speaking to Roma) and Bellamy to follow.
  • bordersboybordersboy Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anybody on here watching the Scotland v Holland match from 1978 on ESPN tonight? Never seen the full game before but what a cracker it was!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like a matter of when Lennon, Thompson and Mjallby are annouced rather than if. Also rumours that Jimmy Bullard will be the first signing of the summer possibly with Ledley (who is also speaking to Roma) and Bellamy to follow.

Season ticket renewals due.:rolleyes:
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Ledley would be a great signing if it was possible. I have no idea why Bellamy would even consider going back to Celtic on the back of a VERY impressive PL season.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Ledley would be a great signing if it was possible. I have no idea why Bellamy would even consider going back to Celtic on the back of a VERY impressive PL season.
    Although I like Bellamy as a player, he never stays at clubs for more then two years. He seems to attract trouble. Cannot really see him going back to Celtic, unless it is another loan deal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Man City are willing to let him go but not to another EPL team and Bellamy doesn't want to go abroad as he wants to stay close to his family - Apparently he is seriously considering an offer from Cardiff.

I think if we sign Ledley it would be a good signal of intent from Lennon. Can't yet work out where the beeb see Rangers in all of this though.
    Forum Member
    Man City are willing to let him go but not to another EPL team and Bellamy doesn't want to go abroad as he wants to stay close to his family - Apparently he is seriously considering an offer from Cardiff.

I think if we sign Ledley it would be a good signal of intent from Lennon. Can't yet work out where the beeb see Rangers in all of this though.

Do Celtic have £8m+ and £70k+ a week for one player?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do Cardiff?
    Forum Member
    Do Cardiff?

Im not the one saying Bellamy is "considering Cardiff" though!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im not the one saying Bellamy is "considering Cardiff" though!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/cardiff_city/8714667.stm
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it is a loan deal, then the club could afford £70k a week for Bellamy. If it is a permanent transfer, then no.
    Forum Member

I know but once again im not the one saying Cardiff are after him....Im asking if Celtic can afford him and what in that story makes Glasgow an attractive proposition for him?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know but once again im not the one saying Cardiff are after him....Im asking if Celtic can afford him and what in that story makes Glasgow an attractive proposition for him?

If he is serious about not playing for the money then I think he can achieve far more at Celtic. Although when he said he wasn't against a move back to Celtic when he was at Liverpool\West Ham money seemed to be a problem then.
This discussion has been closed.