Star Trek 2 "baddie" revealed ?

Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
Forum Member
✭✭✭
sfx.co.uk
At a promotional junket for Dredd, Karl Urban looks to have let slip to SFX who Benedict Cumberbatch is playing in the forthcoming Star Trek sequel. When asked what it was like having the Sherlock actor on set, Urban said:
“He’s awesome, he’s a great addition, and I think his Gary Mitchell is going to be exemplary.”

Coming towards the end of a lengthy interview primarily concerned with his role in Dredd, it appears that Urban has accidentally revealed a much sought-after piece of information. Speculation about the principal villain has generally had
Khan
in the frame to take on the crew of the Enterprise second time round, but Urban seems to have unintentionally confirmed otherwise.

I suppose Benedict Cumberbatch would be more suited to him than the previous suggestes character.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sure that Benedict Cumberbatch could be good, great, or even excellent in any role, but sadly, he remains an Inexperienced Novice, gave a frankly pathetic rendition of Sherlock Holmes, and needs to go back Acting School to acquire some basic competence.
  • peonpeon Posts: 1,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not a fan of benedict cumberbatch or his stupid name
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,290
    Forum Member
    It's Trek In Name Only. Mainly dumb action scenes and lens flares.

I'm happy to see "Star Trek" as a brand name do well, but it just doesn't feel like real Trek with intelligence and thought in the plotlines.

For that you need to look at TOS, TNG and DS9 and some of the better movies like II, IV, and VI
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting, I had to look up Gary Mitchell on Memory Alpha cause I'm not too well-versed on TOS but what I scanned seems promising.

Benedict Cumberbatch is an exemplary actor, whether or not he has a stupid name is frankly irrelevant, his Sherlock is excellent, as evidenced by the number of awards it's picking up, and his performance in "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" managed to stand out while surrounded by some of the best actors of all time all performing to their very best.

And surprise, surprise, an old-school trekkie hates the reboot, how imaginative. If you think TOS and TNG were full of revolutionary intelligent thinking then I'm afraid your view is distorted by time and nostalgia IMHO.
    Forum Member
    And surprise, surprise, an old-school trekkie hates the reboot, how imaginative. If you think TOS and TNG were full of revolutionary intelligent thinking then I'm afraid your view is distorted by time and nostalgia IMHO.

Not really. In terms of intelligence, an episode like "Duet" from DS9 pisses all over the last Star Trek movie.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Only watched the first few series of Sherlock last week. It's a bit hit and miss, but the last two episodes were great. And i can see why he was cast in this. I think he'll do a good job with the character.
    Definitely more interesting than just doing another Khan movie.

As for the last Star Trek movie, the redlettermedia review i think sums it up pretty well.

After the awfuly dull TNG movies, it was a breath of fresh air, but by no means perfect. JJ did a good job and the alt universe was a great idea, but the elevation of Uhura to a main character at the expense of McCoy, bascially just because she is hot, did annoy me. Especially considering Urban as McCoy was the best cast out of all of them.

Oh, and hello, this is my first post.
  • PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

TNG was definately an intelligent series with multilayered storylines and reflections on society, look at the episode "Measure of a man" for examples, TOS wasnt as deep, but still was important for it's time, having a black woman in a leading role was a big thing in the 1960s and TOS helped change people's perceptions.

Having said that, I do like the new series, it's nice to see an alternate take on Trek, and the films are well written, and don't effect the Prime Universe, so I don't see the harm in them, hell it could be worse, we could have had more films like "Nemesis".
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting, I had to look up Gary Mitchell on Memory Alpha cause I'm not too well-versed on TOS but what I scanned seems promising.

Benedict Cumberbatch is an exemplary actor, whether or not he has a stupid name is frankly irrelevant, his Sherlock is excellent, as evidenced by the number of awards it's picking up, and his performance in "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" managed to stand out while surrounded by some of the best actors of all time all performing to their very best.

My wife and I saw Cumberbatch and Jonny Lee Miller in the recent stage adaptation by Nick Dear of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, directed by Danny Boyle. They were both *excellent*. I just wish a) we'd seen it live instead of a cinema-screened recording and b) we'd seen both versions of it (they took turns playing Frankenstein or the Creature).
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

To be fair, if you're not that well-versed on TOS then saying...
    If you think TOS and TNG were full of revolutionary intelligent thinking then I'm afraid your view is distorted by time and nostalgia IMHO.

...doesn't really carry a lot of weight. It's your opinion of course but not quite a fully informed opinion.
  • SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really. In terms of intelligence, an episode like "Duet" from DS9 pisses all over the last Star Trek movie.

And the JJ Abrams Trek movie pissed all over Generations, Insurrection, as well as the entire combined series of Voyager and Enterprise.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SHAFT wrote: »
    And the JJ Abrams Trek movie pissed all over Generations, Insurrection, as well as the entire combined series of Voyager and Enterprise.

Voyager yes.... but the rest are all superior to Trek2009
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the fact that one the one hand we have a good action adventure like the 09 movie, and on the other, more thoughtfull entries such as Duet, Measure of a Man, Inner Light or In the Pale of Moonlight.
  • SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voyager yes.... but the rest are all superior to Trek2009

Even Enterprise? Really? I though the whole series was dross. The Mirror Universe episodes were probably the best and they were still only average.

Generations was just an insult to the fans intelligence.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even Enterprise? Really? I though the whole series was dross. The Mirror Universe episodes were probably the best and they were still only average.

Generations was just an insult to the fans intelligence.

IMO Enterprise was the 2nd best trek series after DS9 ...its 2 flaws were the stupid way they got round the earlier first contacts with The Borg , Ferengi etc by never naming them & The final episode which was basically a TNG episode.

The 3rd series of Enterprise is the best by a mile 1 long 24 episode story arc with 3.8 Twilight a particular highlight.

Generations is excellent almost as good as First Contact imo
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    RebelScum wrote: »
    I like the fact that one the one hand we have a good action adventure like the 09 movie, and on the other, more thoughtfull entries such as Duet, Measure of a Man, Inner Light or In the Pale of Moonlight.

Absolutely right.

Jeez all this willy waving and my dad is better than your dad from people who profess to be Star Trek fans.

We will be onto Kirk can kick everyone but Sisko's arse next.
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dai13371 wrote: »
    We will be onto Kirk can kick everyone but Sisko's arse next.

I had no idea the diminutive "Thong Song" warbler was such a force to be reckoned with.
    Forum Member
    Delboy219 wrote: »
    I had no idea the diminutive "Thong Song" warbler was such a force to be reckoned with.

Oh yeah, he's gone onto far greater things since the Thong song days.
    Forum Member

Unsurprising since they were the weakest parts of the pre-Abrams Trek universe.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don't forget Nemesis!

IMO...

TOS films: 1 was average, 2 was excellent, 3 was good, 4 was very good, 5 was awful, 6 was excellent.

TNG films: Generations was average, First Contact was excellent, Insurrection and Nemesis were both awful.

Voyager: Poor.

Enterprise: Awful.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone but Khan. Star Trek 2 was a brilliant movie and he was a brilliant villain. There is no reason to reboot him. Otherwise, i'm enjoying the reboot. I thought the first movie was great.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't mad about the Trek reboot. The looks and voices were pretty good but the main plot theme seemed to be to run about really fast inside an oil refinery followed by a wobbly camera. Eric Bana's Nero was more or less pointless. They could have cut him completely and still carried off the alternate universe plot effectively.

I'm really hoping the next movie has more plot and fleshes the characters out a bit now that they've introduced them.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ginger Nut wrote: »
    I wasn't mad about the Trek reboot. The looks and voices were pretty good but the main plot theme seemed to be to run about really fast inside an oil refinery followed by a wobbly camera. Eric Bana's Nero was more or less pointless. They could have cut him completely and still carried off the alternate universe plot effectively.

I'm really hoping the next movie has more plot and fleshes the characters out a bit now that they've introduced them.

I generally agree with this. Trek 2009 had a pretty awful storyline, really. But it got away with it because the characters were so well done and the real interest was in their introductions/ first meetings. This is kinda typical for a lot of origin stories, as the origin of the characters is more important than the McGuffin that drives the plot.

However, any follow-ups don't have that, so the strength of the plot needs to hold up. Considering how long its been since the last film, I'm hoping they have spent the time really getting the story right.

I also hope McCoy gets vastly more screen time than he got in the last one, too.
  • PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Don't forget Nemesis!

IMO...

TOS films: 1 was average, 2 was excellent, 3 was good, 4 was very good, 5 was awful, 6 was excellent.

TNG films: Generations was average, First Contact was excellent, Insurrection and Nemesis were both awful.

Voyager: Poor.

Enterprise: Awful.

I don't think Insurrection was so bad, thought it was more like a TNG episode than a film
    Forum Member
    I actually like Nemesis. Dont give a rats arse about Data's death and later resurrection, tough shite if you haven't seen it. What made the film was Tom Hardy plain and simple.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dai13371 wrote: »
    I actually like Nemesis. Dont give a rats arse about Data's death and later resurrection, tough shite if you haven't seen it. What made the film was Tom Hardy plain and simple.

I actually thought Tom Hardy was shite in Nemesis. I couldn't believe the way people talked about him being a good actor until I saw him in other stuff. He was nothing but a pantomime villain in nemesis and it really irritated me. Having seen enough evidence to prove that he is actually a great actor, I can only blame his performance on the useless script and bad directing by Stuart Baird.

Having said that, its still light years better than the turd Shatner cooked up called "The Final Frontier." That's the only Star Trek movie I actually consider to be truly awful.