New home - which distribution system?

After a bit of advice...

We've just purchased a new home and are refusing to pay the £350 to install a TV aerial. Anyway, we have the following setup:

Living room - quadplexed plate with Sat1, Sat2, TV, FM/DAB, Return, Telephone
Bedroom - quadplexed plate with Sat1, Sat2, TV, FM/DAB, Return, Telephone
Study - single screened TV outlet

In the loft I have a bunch of un-terminated cable.

Ideally I want to wire up something that meets the following requirements:

Living room - 2 x satellite feeds, TV feed, FM/DAB feed. Not at all interested in return feeds.
Bedroom - 2 x satellite feeds, TV feed. Less interested in FM/DAB here and again not interested in return feed.
Study - TV feed

Worth pointing out that as present there is no power in the loft space.

Just after some advice on what to go for. Have taken a look at both Labgear and Triax and can't see how either can provide 2 x SAT feeds to more than one room.

Thanks

Comments

• grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A tad confused, there is no way you can provide a TV feed to a TV that presumably has a Freeview tuner, without an aerial.

The basics are

With a conventional lnb the largest number of outlets is 8 (that will allow twin feeds to 4 locations). You can use one of the cables to each location to triplex Satellite, UHF Digital TV and DAB/FM to each location.

Lack of a power supply in the loft shouldn't be an issue, you can send power up one of the coax cables from a power supply using a power supply unit inserted in one of the coax feeds.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Sorry, I should have added that I do plan to install a TV aerial in the loft and will at some point also have a dish with quad lnb, I.e freeview and freesat. My concerns were whether I could send two sat feeds to more than one room. It sounds like I can, I just need to find the right loft box to do so.

Thanks for the pointer on power, hadn't thought of that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Actually, I think the Triax 333112 will do it. Would anyone be able to validate the following:

In loft:
    Install Triax 333112
    Connect tv aerial to UHF1 in
    Connect dab aerial to DAB in
    Connect fm aerial to FM in
    Connect each lnb connection 1 through 4 to sat 1, sat 2, sat 3, sat 4 in

In lounge:
    Connect downlink output on 333112 to sat1 in on wall plate
    Connect uplink/sat2 on 333112 to uplink/sat2 on wall plate

In bedroom:
    Connect r/tv7+sat3 and r/tv8+sat4 on 333112 to the two wall plate connections

In study:
    Abandon tv here, use the tv only wall plate to feed the power supply up to the box in the loft.

From what I can gather this should work but would render the uplink port in the bedroom useless (I don't need that anyway). It would also mean no tv in the study.

Thanks
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    screeched wrote: »
    Sorry, I should have added that I do plan to install a TV aerial in the loft and will at some point also have a dish with quad lnb, I.e freeview and freesat. My concerns were whether I could send two sat feeds to more than one room. It sounds like I can, I just need to find the right loft box to do so.
    Have you undone the 'quadplexed' plates to see what cabling is actually behind? I would usually expect the TV/FM/DAB to be combined but the Sat feeds each to be independent i.e. one cable to end up at each respective lnb on the dish.

I usually steer clear of combining the Sat feeds into a Loft box (dist. amp), that's not to say that it can't be done with the right device.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    I just use a tv aerial point for FM reception and DAB

You can also buy a powered HDMI splitter ( 1 in & 2 or 3 out ) and run up to 25 metres of HDMI cable to have picture perfect sky

Just use RF 2 out from sky box and a magic eye to change channels and piggy back Freeview signal