Comments

• Options
    Billy244Billy244 Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe19 wrote: »
    Anyone going to buy Durham's new book?

Anybody? :D

I never listen to Drivetime simply because I can't stand Durham but today I put the radio on and on came Drivetime, I listened to 5 or 10 minutes worth just to see what they were talking about. I actually fancied they'd be discussing tomorrow night's England game but Durham and his sidekick spent all the time I was listening talking about his new book. He had Gough looking through it while they were on air "to see if you can find anything in it you don't agree with me on" ..... shouldn't be allowed Durham your there to broadcast sport and football in particular not big up interest in your book so you can flog more copies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know and respect it's not everyone's idea of good radio allowing lots of callers on air but the callers are still my favourite part of any show. Okay talksport do get some pretty iffy callers I must admit that but on good days it can be very interesting listening hearing them. Up here we have BBC Radio Sheffield and the callers are nearly all excellent I think this is where I get my real liking for radio callers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    On the off chance i put station on now and ive a herad a caller on they dont have time to get there point across its normally a few words then presenter will butt in,of course its to tell listeners there listening to talkshit and to give out number and more plugs,more ads,more talkshit it just goes on and on.
  • Options
    tinmantinman Posts: 3,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hit the skins bubba
  • Options
    jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    terry12 wrote: »
    On the off chance i put station on now and ive a herad a caller on they dont have time to get there point across its normally a few words then presenter will butt in,of course its to tell listeners there listening to talkshit and to give out number and more plugs,more ads,more talkshit it just goes on and on.

Talksport have ditched callers so they can cram more Ad's in........it's all about making more money.

I don't know why Ian Collins used to tell callers " Stay on the line fella !! and never get back to them.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Billy244 wrote: »
    I know and respect it's not everyone's idea of good radio allowing lots of callers on air but the callers are still my favourite part of any show. Okay talksport do get some pretty iffy callers I must admit that but on good days it can be very interesting listening hearing them. Up here we have BBC Radio Sheffield and the callers are nearly all excellent I think this is where I get my real liking for radio callers.

That is the reason Ive stopped listening, I love listening to callers. Theres some real gems out there. Thats what made the station so appealing when i first stated listening years ago. Im afraid they have strayed too far away from this for my liking.

Abit off topic Billy but I went to school with that lad Giddings who presents on Radio Sheffield. I ve heard he comes in for alot of stick!!! ha.
    He isnt a football man at all, He is a Rugby League fan.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never listen to Drivetime simply because I can't stand Durham but today I put the radio on and on came Drivetime, I listened to 5 or 10 minutes worth just to see what they were talking about. I actually fancied they'd be discussing tomorrow night's England game but Durham and his sidekick spent all the time I was listening talking about his new book. He had Gough looking through it while they were on air "to see if you can find anything in it you don't agree with me on" ..... shouldn't be allowed Durham your there to broadcast sport and football in particular not big up interest in your book so you can flog more copies.

I'm shocked that Durham has a book out.

I don't consider him famous or worthy enough to have a book out TBH.

I suppose I'll find out how famous he is by how many copies he sells, but I'm willing to bet it won't be that many.
  • Options
    dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not sure if it is just me, but does anyone find that Talksport kick the arse out of everything, right now I am so sick of hearing the fortnights build up to the England game that I probably wont even watch it. They also did it with the premier league, all summer they found the tiniest thing to eek out more drivel when the league was not even playing, that by the time it started I was already sick of the PL
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    Biggest sports radio station in the world,there having a laff right,there is just nothing that appeals to me on station anymore,to full of ads,plugs blah blah,i dodnt blame the presenters as such,they have to say whats in script but station is more like talkads its pathetic,everything is so rushed so more ads can be put on,half the time i cant even understand what they saying on news bulletins they talk to fast,got to them ads in,what we have left actually about 10 mins of every hour of actuall presenters having a bit banter other 50 mins of ads,plugs,number, constant reminder of number,things read from a script its pathetic,if yous are thinking why listen then,i thought that myself and decided not to anymore does my head in too much,how i long for the good old days.
  • Options
    ramageramage Posts: 1,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I suppose I'll find out how famous he is by how many copies he sells, but I'm willing to bet it won't be that many.

I think Mr Durham is about to find out how popular he is.
    I really cant imagine why anybody would want to buy his book. It can only contain the same rubbish he churns out every afternoon. I will be amazed if it even reaches the sales that Irani's book sold.
    I look forward to reading the reviews in Amazon & I hope Durham reads them too.
  • Options
    ramageramage Posts: 1,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brazil said "I think we will win easy tonight"
    "We should have no problems beating them".
    Suddenly Brazil's turned English.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darreldo wrote: »
    That is the reason Ive stopped listening, I love listening to callers. Theres some real gems out there. Thats what made the station so appealing when i first stated listening years ago. Im afraid they have strayed too far away from this for my liking.

Abit off topic Billy but I went to school with that lad Giddings who presents on Radio Sheffield. I ve heard he comes in for alot of stick!!! ha.
    He isnt a football man at all, He is a Rugby League fan.
    I think Jack's hit the nail on the head Darreldo they now fill up each hour with commercials so there's literally no time left for many calls these days it's really dragged the station into the gutter in my view.
    Yes they need to run commercials but surely not so many that it's ruining the quality of the station. :(
    So you know Andy Giddings isn't he from Halifax?, my honest opinion of Andy is he's quite a good live match commentator but not so good live football phone-in host, he doesn't seem to have grasped many people want to hear the local supporters views when they ring up and he tends to prattle on for ages using up all the hour and he's also a bit short in the humour department. He's sometimes mentioned he is or was into rugby, we have about 4 phone-in hosts and Andy I would say is the least favourite, saying all that I do think he's a very decent guy trying to do his best though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biggest sports radio station in the world,there having a laff right,there is just nothing that appeals to me on station anymore,to full of ads,plugs blah blah,i dodnt blame the presenters as such,they have to say whats in script but station is more like talkads its pathetic,everything is so rushed so more ads can be put on,half the time i cant even understand what they saying on news bulletins they talk to fast,got to them ads in,what we have left actually about 10 mins of every hour of actuall presenters having a bit banter other 50 mins of ads,plugs,number, constant reminder of number,things read from a script its pathetic,if yous are thinking why listen then,i thought that myself and decided not to anymore does my head in too much,how i long for the good old days.

100% with you mate the quality has never been so low and it's all to do with the never ending boring childish commercials being churned out over and over and over, there's surely such a thing even for a private company as standards and pleasing the listener it cannot and should not be all about making as much profit as you can.
  • Options
    HomesdaleHomesdale Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    ramage wrote: »
    I think Mr Durham is about to find out how popular he is.
    I really cant imagine why anybody would want to buy his book. It can only contain the same rubbish he churns out every afternoon. I will be amazed if it even reaches the sales that Irani's book sold.
    I look forward to reading the reviews in Amazon & I hope Durham reads them too.

To get reviews on Amazon, means someone will of had to had read the book.

The only review is likely to be from himself, as like you say, who the bloody hell is going to buy it.

Expect it to be in the bargain bucket for 50p before Christmas!!
  • Options
    fast leftfast left Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

so true.i'm lucky,or is it unlucky,to listen to a total of an hour a week now.ads ads ads,same old boring guests towing the line saying the same old shite.endless humourless childlike banter :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think Jack's hit the nail on the head Darreldo they now fill up each hour with commercials so there's literally no time left for many calls these days it's really dragged the station into the gutter in my view.
    Yes they need to run commercials but surely not so many that it's ruining the quality of the station. :(
    So you know Andy Giddings isn't he from Halifax?, my honest opinion of Andy is he's quite a good live match commentator but not so good live football phone-in host, he doesn't seem to have grasped many people want to hear the local supporters views when they ring up and he tends to prattle on for ages using up all the hour and he's also a bit short in the humour department. He's sometimes mentioned he is or was into rugby, we have about 4 phone-in hosts and Andy I would say is the least favourite, saying all that I do think he's a very decent guy trying to do his best though.

I know they get decent money coming through from commercials but surely they could earn from the callers too. maybe get rid of 1 scheduled commercial break and have more callers, the callers will make up for that lost money?

Talksport was famed for its mad callers such as Tommy from Glasgow, Nigel from Maidstone. I can firmly say them days are well and truly in the past, its quite sad to be honest.

Im not a mate of Giddings, he knocked round with a few lads I knew in Halifax. Went down Wembley with school with him years ago, Decent lad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Homesdale wrote: »
    To get reviews on Amazon, means someone will of had to had read the book.

The only review is likely to be from himself, as like you say, who the bloody hell is going to buy it.

Expect it to be in the bargain bucket for 50p before Christmas!!

Just like No Boundries by Irani.
  • Options
    IndependenceIndependence Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    I hardly ever listen to Talksport these days. Occasionely when there is a lull on R4 or R5 I'll switch over for a laugh and I must say I am hardly ever disappointed. This is since they went even further downmarket with the lads mag/zoo format and brought in the likes of Murray, Vaughan, Goldstein, Cundy & Rushden. Danny Kelly has his faults but is streets ahead of this dross and the day they got rid of him as a regular says it all about Talksport.

Brazil of course is out there on his own leading the field in gross mediocrity. This morning when commenting on Joey Barton's outburst against the England players he said "& Joey's saying the England players are S(ess) I(eye) H(aitch) .....". The imbecile cannot even spell his swear words correctly.

Then later on Mr Scott(forgotten his first name) was discussing the business aspect of sport and said that the top 20 European clubs were thinking of forming the European Super League. Quick as a flash Brazil jumped in and said (approximately) "Wow Celtic and Rangers then". Scott pointedly at some point later, after more prodding by Brazil said scathingly "No it's for the top 20 in Europe, Alan". Then it moved on to Celtic versus Arsenal. Scott corrected Brazil about Arsenal's turnover dwarfing Celtic's thus leaving Brazil reduced to bleating on about bigger support after he had complained about the TV revenues being out of line. Naturally Brazil is wrong as Arsenal's gates are way bigger than Celtic's. Both clubs have huge world-wide support but this is a thing which is difficult if not impossible to measure. It was hilarious as the buffoon would not accept that Arsenal are a far bigger club.

As many on here have commented many times his knowledge on sport is pathetic but this case shows that even when he knows nothing about a particular subject he will argue a point vehemently (particularly if it involves his beloved Celtic).

I know Billy and others think he will not be renewed but I think he will be renewed, as discussed previously. He certainly does not deserve a renewal but I am guessing that the powers that be like his appeal to white van man and so will renew. I'm in the club that laugh at him rather than with him(quite a majority on here I suspect) and he's quite an entertainment if you take him in small doses only. Cruel I know. A bit like the Victorians going to the lunatic asylum to watch the mentally ill.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    By the way Neil Warnock let the cat out of the bag again today. When talking about Exeter & Plymouth games at the weekend he was saying ".... down here ..... down here ....."
  • Options
    Joe19Joe19 Posts: 1,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He's expecting to shift a few, he's doing a book signing before a Peterborough home match next week.
  • Options
    Mallory99Mallory99 Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hardly ever listen to Talksport these days. Occasionely when there is a lull on R4 or R5 I'll switch over for a laugh and I must say I am hardly ever disappointed. This is since they went even further downmarket with the lads mag/zoo format and brought in the likes of Murray, Vaughan, Goldstein, Cundy & Rushden. Danny Kelly has his faults but is streets ahead of this dross and the day they got rid of him as a regular says it all about Talksport.

Brazil of course is out there on his own leading the field in gross mediocrity. This morning when commenting on Joey Barton's outburst against the England players he said "& Joey's saying the England players are S(ess) I(eye) H(aitch) .....". The imbecile cannot even spell his swear words correctly.

Then later on Mr Scott(forgotten his first name) was discussing the business aspect of sport and said that the top 20 European clubs were thinking of forming the European Super League. Quick as a flash Brazil jumped in and said (approximately) "Wow Celtic and Rangers then". Scott pointedly at some point later, after more prodding by Brazil said scathingly "No it's for the top 20 in Europe, Alan". Then it moved on to Celtic versus Arsenal. Scott corrected Brazil about Arsenal's turnover dwarfing Celtic's thus leaving Brazil reduced to bleating on about bigger support after he had complained about the TV revenues being out of line. Naturally Brazil is wrong as Arsenal's gates are way bigger than Celtic's. Both clubs have huge world-wide support but this is a thing which is difficult if not impossible to measure. It was hilarious as the buffoon would not accept that Arsenal are a far bigger club.

As many on here have commented many times his knowledge on sport is pathetic but this case shows that even when he knows nothing about a particular subject he will argue a point vehemently (particularly if it involves his beloved Celtic).

I know Billy and others think he will not be renewed but I think he will be renewed, as discussed previously. He certainly does not deserve a renewal but I am guessing that the powers that be like his appeal to white van man and so will renew. I'm in the club that laugh at him rather than with him(quite a majority on here I suspect) and he's quite an entertainment if you take him in small doses only. Cruel I know. A bit like the Victorians going to the lunatic asylum to watch the mentally ill.

He said today that he might write another book after he'd "chucked this job in". I wonder...
  • Options
    Mallory99Mallory99 Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    garbage456 wrote: »
    If you read my text it says I don't like his style of presenting. As he is aggressive and rude. The other day he told Danny Murphy to sit down and told him he sweats?

Whenever he gets a crossover with a presenter he seems to turn on them.

I just don't like it.

My comment wasn't actually directed at you. It was a general observation.
  • Options
    franchisefranchise Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackyork wrote: »
    Sportsbar has an interview with banned snooker player Stephen Lee.

A shame he didn't give an interview to someone with more credibility. A shame for him, that is.

Goldstein claimed last night that the Sportsbar would be the only place on national radio to discuss Friday's international football. 5Live always have a 606 on after international games. Poor claim to make.
  • Options
    Joe19Joe19 Posts: 1,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    franchise wrote: »
    A shame he didn't give an interview to someone with more credibility. A shame for him, that is.

Goldstein claimed last night that the Sportsbar would be the only place on national radio to discuss Friday's international football. 5Live always have a 606 on after international games. Poor claim to make.

Goldstein is a huge snooker fan and also presenter, at least he knows what he's discussing, unlike some presenters and sports on the station.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jackyork wrote: »
    .....I lost count how many times 'Al said "Cardiff City fans ring up"

Ram, I dont think they want people to actually phone the station.:confused:

Jack, they want people to actually phone the station as that 0871 number costs the listener 10p/min and TS get a good chunk of that.

But they don't want to put them on air as that cuts down the time for all the adverts.
This discussion has been closed.