Options

Do you feel like a bad person when you vote UKIP/SNP?

Comments

• Options
    Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    Much better to vote Lab, Con or Lib Dem and get the warm glow of knowing you've done the right thing. ;-)
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much better to vote Lab, Con or Lib Dem and get the warm glow of knowing you've done the right thing. ;-)

Why would you want to vote for 'the same old'?

Do you really think things are going well at the moment?

Hopping about between Labour and Tory, with a bit of LD action thrown into the mix has hardly done us wonders thus-far.
  • Options
    Pat_SmithPat_Smith Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HillmanImp wrote: »
    I was thinking, if I voted UKIP or SNP I would feel like a bit of a bounder, like letting the side down. Letting Europe down, letting Blightie down. I would feel I could no longer look my fellow Pole or English person in the eye.

I'm evil, I know.

(The Blue Cat, Dougal And The Blue Cat.)
  • Options
    HillmanImpHillmanImp Posts: 2,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm unconvinced on the crossover between SNP and UKIP. Are we talking about a specific issue here (immigration presumably)?

Nope Main Issue of both parties:

Pulling out of a union for nationalist reasons mixed with a dislike of the politics and voting behaviour of our brothers and sisters in other parts of these unions. This dislike is so large they would rather break up a family then live any more in this way (assuming for some reason they themselves cannot simply move to Ireland or Norway (if SNP) or Australia or New Zealand (if kippers)
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jack1 wrote: »
    Because of one immigrant does something wrong it must mean there all bad. Or did you mean to say something else?

No, I meant exactly what I said. But if you don't think the people of Sydney should think that way, ask the people of Germany, France, Britain and plenty of other countries who have and are suffering the results of unfettered immigration.
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member

and given up the struggle
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    allaorta wrote: »
    No, I meant exactly what I said. But if you don't think the people of Sydney should think that way, ask the people of Germany, France, Britain and plenty of other countries who have and are suffering the results of unfettered immigration.

So you were in effect saying that because one immigrant does something wrong, it must mean they're all bad? That's a rather daft conclusion to draw, isn't it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    So you were in effect saying that because one immigrant does something wrong, it must mean they're all bad? That's a rather daft conclusion to draw, isn't it?

Nope, I'm not saying that. Perhaps you should try to think outside that little box you inhabit and consider whether this is just one immigrant or whether problems have previously occurred with immigrants from the same source, either in Australia or elsewhere.

It didn't go unnoticed that you'r post had two sentences, both ending in a question mark. You obviously find it difficult to make a statement.
  • Options
    paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't feel bad about it, I have a Muslim friend, and her and her family vote UKIP, they have been here for over 15 years and think the country is now overpopulated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nope, I'm not saying that. Perhaps you should try to think outside that little box you inhabit and consider whether this is just one immigrant or whether problems have previously occurred with immigrants from the same source, either in Australia or elsewhere.
    What "little box" are you talking about? In the case in point, it was just one immigrant. It would be wrong to say that immigration is generally a problem because of a few isolated incidents of extremists. If that's what you are saying, of course - it's still not all that clear.
    It didn't go unnoticed that you'r post had two sentences, both ending in a question mark. You obviously find it difficult to make a statement.

Ad hominem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What "little box" are you talking about? In the case in point, it was just one immigrant. It would be wrong to say that immigration is generally a problem because of a few isolated incidents of extremists. If that's what you are saying, of course - it's still not all that clear.

Ad hominem.

Frequent observation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd feel like a bad person if I supported the paedophile protection party.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    simsini wrote: »
    I'd feel like a bad person if I supported the paedophile protection party.

I don't think there is such a party.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    I don't think there is such a party.

You would be aware of it if you paid more attention. But our mainstream media bar occasional snippets in the Mirror and Mail won't touch it - so the police enquiries drag on and on and on and on and then miraculously as soon as the suspect is dead all the stories appear in the papers.
  • Options
    rwouldrwould Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member
    unfettered immigration? We would have a lot more people here if that was the case.

And surely the #illridewithyou campaign demonstrates you are talking out of your backside as to how Australians feel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    You would be aware of it if you paid more attention. But our mainstream media bar occasional snippets in the Mirror and Mail won't touch it - so the police enquiries drag on and on and on and on and then miraculously as soon as the suspect is dead all the stories appear in the papers.

OK, help me out then - what exactly is this party?
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking, if I voted UKIP or SNP I would feel like a bit of a bounder, like letting the side down. Letting Europe down, letting Blightie down. I would feel I could no longer look my fellow Pole or English person in the eye.
    Could you heavily promote UKIP or SNP in front of your Polish and English friends and feel happy about it and still have a sense that you are a good person?

Is the rise of stuff like UKIP and SNP due to a decrease in general morality or is it because Kippers and Nats perceive that globalisation is actually the "evil thing" and voting UKIP or SNP is like supporting native tribes in the Amazon - like stopping globalisation and letting the natives keep their traditional way of life.

When you vote UKIP or SNP are you thinking of others or yourself?

Are UKIP and SNP more Green then Green?

No I won't feel like an absolute bounder letting Blighty down when I vote ukip next May.

Nor do I give a crap what anyone else thinks of it.

I believe it's called "democracy" - an old fashioned concept you might have heard of at some point.
  • Options
    Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Why would you want to vote for 'the same old'?

Do you really think things are going well at the moment?

Hopping about between Labour and Tory, with a bit of LD action thrown into the mix has hardly done us wonders thus-far.

I agree with you. I was just making the point that people talk about "outsider" parties being a threat, as if we're all supposed to be grateful to be ruled by the Con, Lab and Lib Dem parties that have brought us nothing but trouble.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Nope Main Issue of both parties:

Pulling out of a union for nationalist reasons mixed with a dislike of the politics and voting behaviour of our brothers and sisters in other parts of these unions. This dislike is so large they would rather break up a family then live any more in this way (assuming for some reason they themselves cannot simply move to Ireland or Norway (if SNP) or Australia or New Zealand (if kippers)

Oh yeah, they are totally the same thing. In fact everyone wanting out of any pre-existing agreements are identical, no matter if those agreements or unions are completely different. Might as well add anyone wanting out of NATO too.

We should just stick with how things are all the time because that's the best way to keep things going forward. We shouldn't ever consider any constitutional change because that's disloyal. If anyone doesn't live in a country where their political party is in power then they should shut their mouths or move somewhere else. Whatever you do don't actually make sincere choices based on what you think is best unless those choices co-align with my own (otherwise I'll go into emotive rhetoric about breaking up families and stuff).

Yep, that sounds like a great society. Long live the status quo! It's just a pity our ancestors never thought the same so that we could still be living in caves. I knew that fire was a bad idea.

;)

This is such a daft topic. Presumably if anyone felt bad for voting a certain way then they wouldn't be voting that way in the first place. Why would anyone vote for something that made them feel bad? Makes no sense to me. Don't people vote for what they think is the best option or have I been living in a bubble?
  • Options
    ItsNickItsNick Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could you heavily promote UKIP or SNP in front of your Polish and English friends and feel happy about it and still have a sense that you are a good person?

Is the rise of stuff like UKIP and SNP due to a decrease in general morality or is it because Kippers and Nats perceive that globalisation is actually the "evil thing" and voting UKIP or SNP is like supporting native tribes in the Amazon - like stopping globalisation and letting the natives keep their traditional way of life.

When you vote UKIP or SNP are you thinking of others or yourself?

Are UKIP and SNP more Green then Green?
    Firstly NO I don't feel bad at all.

As for the bit I've highlighted, I'm thinking of the country.
    Wanting controlled immigration is a GOOD thing for Britain. I simply don't understand why some people are against it or why some people who want controlled immigration is some cover up for racism.
  • Options
    Camp FreddieCamp Freddie Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking, if I voted UKIP or SNP I would feel like a bit of a bounder, like letting the side down. Letting Europe down, letting Blightie down.

Vote UKIP, support your country, get out of the EU and help protect our future generations from creeping European Federalisation. What`s to feel guilty about ?????
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    I agree with you. I was just making the point that people talk about "outsider" parties being a threat, as if we're all supposed to be grateful to be ruled by the Con, Lab and Lib Dem parties that have brought us nothing but trouble.

So you don't think any of those parties has brought any benifets in recent years? Surely that's a bit extreme?
  • Options
    HillmanImpHillmanImp Posts: 2,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yeah, they are totally the same thing. In fact everyone wanting out of any pre-existing agreements are identical, no matter if those agreements or unions are completely different. Might as well add anyone wanting out of NATO too.
    You could be right if we were talking about the old EEC but with the EU, I think there is a EU Nationalism and as such breaking out of the EU can be linked to breaking out of GB. For example I do feel a citizen of the EU and of GB - both are in my passport. NATO on the other hand is not on my passport.

So, in terms of "breaking" my passport both the SNP and Kippers are the same.
    I think some SNP people are in a non-rational denial because they would like to see things as left or right, not unionist or separatist. But lets face it, it is simply a denial.
    What we have here is local nationalism (kippers or SNP) V big nationalism (the rest of humanity)
  • Options
    ItsNickItsNick Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anndra_w wrote: »
    When you start using language like that it's hard to take you seriously. Immigrants enrich our societies. Embrace it.
    How can a group of people enrich our society simply because they're not British. I will embrace CONTROLLED immigration wholeheartedly but I certainly won't embrace uncontrolled immigration because that doesn't enrich our society at all. In fact it does the opposite. It puts horrendous pressure on public services. Immigrants will at some point have to go to hospital or the Doctor's and if you've got a massive influx of people waiting times will go up massively. It will be harder for parents to find spaces for their kids at school.
    When the immigrants have kids the immigrants themselves will find it harder to find places for their children. The immigrants themselves will suffer eventually because the government can't cope.
    Please get it out of your heads that just because someone doesn't speak English as their first language or because they haven't got white skin doesn't mean they're good for this country.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ItsNick wrote: »
    How can a group of people enrich our society simply because they're not British. I will embrace CONTROLLED immigration wholeheartedly but I certainly won't embrace uncontrolled immigration because that doesn't enrich our society at all. In fact it does the opposite. It puts horrendous pressure on public services. Immigrants will at some point have to go to hospital or the Doctor's and if you've got a massive influx of people waiting times will go up massively. It will be harder for parents to find spaces for their kids at school.
    When the immigrants have kids the immigrants themselves will find it harder to find places for their children. The immigrants themselves will suffer eventually because the government can't cope.
    Please get it out of your heads that just because someone doesn't speak English as their first language or because they haven't got white skin doesn't mean they're good for this country.
    No one has that in their heads! Immigrants are good for the country simply because in the main they contribute to the economy.