Sky Sports News Radio - does anyone actually listen to it ?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
Forum Member
It's now 3-&-a-half years since Sky launched their radio version of Sky Sports News but this service hardly ever gets a mention on this forum and rarely seems to dig up any stories that get followed-up by the rest of the sports-media.

Most bizarrely of all (certainly compared to the way BBC tv-programmes cross-promote their radio stations at both national and local level), it hardly ever seems to be promoted by the tv-version of Sky Sports News.

Now that it's also practical to watch many tv-services on mobile technology, surely that removes one of Sky Sports News Radio's original selling points that its audio-only format was a useful mobile alternative.

So a couple of questions for the rest of you on this forum ...

1. Do any of you listen to this radio version of Sky Sports News ?

2. Has it ever been a worthwhile part of Sky's broadcasting or has it always been a complete vanity project ?

Comments

• 4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member
    I actually think it's being promoted far more on the TV channel recently. It's mentioned whenever they plug the 'Transfer Centre'.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,415
    Forum Member
    SSNR is now on the Sky Sports News mobile app and it's also available on their website - http://www.skysports.com/radio - but Sky really ought to put this service on satellite, Freeview, cable and DAB.
  • Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Until I saw this thread I'd forgotten that it even existed!
    Forum Member
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    Until I saw this thread I'd forgotten that it even existed!

It's not at all bad actually but it needs two thing - more promotion and to be put on more broadcasting platforms.
  • mgbstagmgbstag Posts: 928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is there are reason why its not on the Sky box radio line up?
  • Paul_CrawfordPaul_Crawford Posts: 5,860
    Forum Member
    How realistic is it that SSNR could challenge 5live and talkSPORT for sport rights?
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main reason for it's existance seems be back when Sky sports news TV channel was removed from Freeview for those who decided not to sign up for the Sky sports package? This is probably still the aim of Sky to get all sports fans to sign up so there will be no expansion or promotion of the radio station.
  • radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How realistic is it that SSNR could challenge 5live and talkSPORT for sport rights?

Very, Sky certainly have the cash to be able to go for it if they wanted and if shareholders agreed.
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not very realistic without an FM or AM frequency.

There wouldn't be enough advertising to cover the cost of the rights and it would detract from their pay TV business.

Sky sold their stake in talkSPORT around ten years ago. There is no evidence that they are trying to get back into radio in a major way, SSNR is just an online service for non-Sky Sports subscribers.

They won't be putting it on Digital 1, it would cost £500k per year of Sky shareholders' money for no benefit. Adding it to UK Radioplayer might be an option though.
    Forum Member
    hanssolo wrote: »
    The main reason for it's existance seems be back when Sky sports news TV channel was removed from Freeview for those who decided not to sign up for the Sky sports package? This is probably still the aim of Sky to get all sports fans to sign up so there will be no expansion or promotion of the radio station.

However, that radio station could be used to promote the paid-for TV services (just like Pick TV is used to promote Sky) and it just seems a waste of a reasonable sports-themed radio station. At the very least, Sky could put it satellite very cheaply. Given the intense competition now being posed by BT Sport, it would seem the sensible thing to widely promote Sky's own sports channels by every means possible including Sky Sports News Radio.
  • paulx23paulx23 Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radiodad wrote: »
    Very, Sky certainly have the cash to be able to go for it if they wanted and if shareholders agreed.
    But surely 'internet radio' rights and terrestrial radio rights would be different things?
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    I'm not into sport so don't really care that much, but the logical thing would be for it to be on Freeview's radio lineup so that sports fans would use it and be tempted to upgrade to the TV version, it should also be on national DAB at a low bitrate on Digital 1, Sky News Radio would be a good option so you could just get news straightaway, Radio 5 Live doesn't really do that.
    Forum Member
    I'm not into sport so don't really care that much, but the logical thing would be for it to be on Freeview's radio lineup so that sports fans would use it and be tempted to upgrade to the TV version, it should also be on national DAB at a low bitrate on Digital 1, Sky News Radio would be a good option so you could just get news straightaway, Radio 5 Live doesn't really do that.

Exactly, and Sky are missing a trick here because that radio station already exists (so no set up costs) and it could be used to encourage people to upgrade to/come back to Sky and Sky Sports. It's a bit of a no brainer really.
  • franchisefranchise Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've dipped in and out of it, it just seems a little odd. It's not quite a copy of its parent station, but is missing what would make it more of a "radio station" and less of people reading the same scripts you can see people reading on TV.
  • soulboy22soulboy22 Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    It is very handy on a Saturday if you want to hear Soccer Saturday audio without having to sit and watch the TV. The Soccer Saturday banter can be on in the background, whilst I am reading etc, so for me very useful
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I listened to it a lot last winter. The trouble is on my broadband the buffering is terrible. I'll lose the buffer for 10 to 20 seconds it'll come back then jump ahead to catch up which is annoying, so I stopped listening!
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly, and Sky are missing a trick here because that radio station already exists (so no set up costs) and it could be used to encourage people to upgrade to/come back to Sky and Sky Sports. It's a bit of a no brainer really.
    But they have deals with Absolute and Talksport for that
    http://www.mediaweek.co.uk/article/1146005/sky-sports-renews-absolute-radio-sponsorship-deal-ahead-football-season
    Bob Suppiah, director of promotions and partnerships at BSkyB, said: "We’re pleased to be continuing our association with Absolute Radio, following two successful years which have provided us with fantastic opportunities for the Sky brand to feature across Absolute Radio’s schedule."
    Presume this will continue now Absolute are owned by Bauer?
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hanssolo wrote: »
    But they have deals with Absolute and Talksport for that
    http://www.mediaweek.co.uk/article/1146005/sky-sports-renews-absolute-radio-sponsorship-deal-ahead-football-season

Presume this will continue now Absolute are owned by Bauer?

It is. I listened to a bit of Rock 'N' Roll Football Live yesterday, it was still sponsored by Sky Sports.
  • AmaraAmara Posts: 5,375
    Forum Member
    No never heard of it. Its not on DAB here.
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I've said before I think Sky Sports News Radio would give a boost to DAB - whether it's worth BSkyB doing it is another question. I could only imagine it happening if they were part of a D2 winning consortium.
    Forum Member
    Sky Sports News Radio is launching on Radioplayer tomorrow (Friday), joining almost 400 other UK radio stations on the platform. The station is currently available on other sites including Football365, Sporting Life and TEAMtalk as well as the Sky Sports apps, the Sky Sports Score Centres and TuneIn. Mark Chesworth, Managing Editor Sky Sports News Radio told RadioToday: “We’re delighted to be able to make our station more widely available on such a popular platform.
    http://radiotoday.co.uk/2014/03/sky-sports-news-radio-joins-radioplayer/

I welcome this news and, ideally, I'd like see the station get an even wider distribution and availability.
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Sky Sports News Radio available on Sky Digital?

I can't see how going on DAB would make sense. It would be vvery costly and probably no more effective than advertising in terms of attracting new subscribers to Sky's services.
    Forum Member
    wns_195 wrote: »
    ls Sky Sports News Radio available on Sky Digital?

I can't see how going on DAB would make sense. It would be very costly and probably no more effective than advertising in terms of attracting new subscribers to Sky's services.

No is the answer to that and it wouldn't cost much at all to put Sky Sports News Radio on satellite at 28.2*E across the UK which could be used to promote Sky's paid-for sports channels as well as providing a useful sports news radio service.