Options

X Box 360 4gb or 250gb?

2»

Comments

• Options
    ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The old style elite's have 120gb hdd's...why can't the slim's have that?
    Because as technology moves on, creating and sourcing older, smaller capacity HDDs become less cost effective to the buyer. Manufacturers are looking to move forward, so it costs them more (eventually) to keep manufacturing capacity smaller drives rather than the larger ones which most of the industry are eager to purchase.

Plus MS are trying to compete with the capacities offered by the PS3 (although you can do much more with a HDD in a PS3 than a 360), and their community are asking for more space as MS are pushing downloadable content (games, movies and music), trying to take market share away from their competitors who are pushing physical media as still being prominent for many years to come (which it is).
  • Options
    User68571User68571 Posts: 3,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conroy wrote: »
    Because as technology moves on, creating and sourcing older, smaller capacity HDDs become less cost effective to the buyer. Manufacturers are looking to move forward, so it costs them more (eventually) to keep manufacturing capacity smaller drives rather than the larger ones which most of the industry are eager to purchase.

Plus MS are trying to compete with the capacities offered by the PS3 (although you can do much more with a HDD in a PS3 than a 360), and their community are asking for more space as MS are pushing downloadable content (games, movies and music), trying to take market share away from their competitors who are pushing physical media as still being prominent for many years to come (which it is).

I can see the sense the in that.....It just seems really harsh that MS will launch a gaming platform that doesn't do what it's supposed to. Unless the bloke in the shop hadn't of warned me a 4gb isn't enough for eveything I would've been extremly disappointed esp after forking out all that money. 4gb seems like a slap in the face considering cheap phones have hdd's of 16gb etc....but that's MS for you. I love the xbox but my gawd MS really annoy me...any possible way of extracting money out of you it seems.

My biggest gripe is lack of steering wheels supported by the xbox (I'm a sim racer) and our choice is woeful in comparison to other platforms.
  • Options
    rottweilerrottweiler Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But they do make 120gb and 160gb drives so why make it 4gb ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rottweiler wrote: »
    But they do make 120gb and 160gb drives so why make it 4gb ?

The 4GB storage is internal flash memory, not a hard drive. Basically it's an internal integrated memory unit.

I'm sure MS claimed that 4GB is the limit for Memory Unit size, but being at work I can't search (damned internet police!!!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    HELP!!!!!! My son wants Forza 4 and also wants (obviously) an xbox. However there is the 4gb and 250gb version. He also wants a kinect. Does the kinect work with a 250gb xbox? Does Forza 4 work with the 4gb and 250gb version? HELP! I want to stop at Sainsburys tonight and pick whatever I need up as they've got a blinding deal on right now!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    HELP!!!!!! My son wants Forza 4 and also wants (obviously) an xbox. However there is the 4gb and 250gb version. He also wants a kinect. Does the kinect work with a 250gb xbox? Does Forza 4 work with the 4gb and 250gb version? HELP! I want to stop at Sainsburys tonight and pick whatever I need up as they've got a blinding deal on right now!

Really comes down to preference but I will always say 250gb.
    Forza and Kinect work with both sizes but 4GB isn't very future proof.

Larger memory is used to install games (reduces load time and on occasion runs graphics better), rent/buy HD films and with the new catch up TV services coming I wouldn't like to limit my options with 4GB.

If he is only ever going to need the memory for a few save files and nothing more 4GB will be fine but would you like to take that risk.
  • Options
    jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member

I would go for the extra memory. If more games like Bf3 come out; that look substantially better with HDD due texture install then, he won't be able to experience best of some games.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Rocka wrote: »
    4GB isn't very future proof.

Yes it is.

You can add a HDD on to it any time you want.
  • Options
    HypnosHypnos Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so bought mine on Ebay (think it's from china) for £44..

I'd never reccomend buying anything like this from a chinese seller on ebay. They are experts at the cheap knock off.

The irony being most of the official products are most likely made thier too.
  • Options
    GageGage Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I right in thinking that the 250gb model don't come with an internal 4GB flash memory as well?

If this is correct surely the 4gb model is much better as it still allows for a hard drive making it 254 gb (before formatting)

and the matt black look is going to be standard in the future and replace the glossy looking 250gb models.
  • Options
    jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    Gage wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that the 250gb model don't come with an internal 4GB flash memory as well?

If this is correct surely the 4gb model is much better as it still allows for a hard drive making it 254 gb (before formatting)

and the matt black look is going to be standard in the future and replace the glossy looking 250gb models.

It does not work like that. The 4gb is just flash memory not counted as a hard drive it's like a memory card. That is why some games have problems.

Oh just little misconception in your post formatting does not lose that space manufactures sell 1gb as 1000 megegbytes not 1024. So 250gb HDD will be 244gb.

If you looking to save money, a better way is to pick up a 320gb hdd + 4GB model follow guide to get it work with your 360 S and slot it in. That should be about £170 so you've got more space for less than 250gb model.