Options

Booklovers Bunker

Comments

• Options
    BunionsBunions Posts: 15,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    The history of Digiguide. It's going to print right now.
    Did you buy shares? ^_^
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joni M wrote: »
    Bargains!

Blueblade may like it in here, he once gave me a link to a station near Chelmsford which was really poignant at the time.
    jra linked me up to a brilliant coffee table book a few months back :cool:

Dirt cheap and massive - just how I like em ;):D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it's time to say goodbye lovely peeps :)

Got loads of smelly old work on later so I'd better get some kip.

Thanks for all the laughs......laters x
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bunions wrote: »
    Well it's time to say goodbye lovely peeps :)

Got loads of smelly old work on later so I'd better get some kip.

Thanks for all the laughs......laters x

TFFT. I've been wanting to log off for hours :D

Night everyone, see yis all on the morrow when we can have FUN, FUN, FUN :D

eta: 296 views now, let's see it rise and hopefully the lurkers will join in, my mate Arte from BB would like it here too :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh FFS, OH is doing his sex face, he's won £290 now.

Really gone :D
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    I just told Jra about the move, we need some crappy music in here :D
    (Soz J :blush:)

Well, you did ask.

Did Isaac Asimov ever produce a greatest hits CD.

Track listing.

Mars bar attack.
    Up Uranus.
    I've got asteroids.
    What on Earth was that.
    Would you like to take a meteor shower with me.
    I sat on an urn.
    My dog is called Pluto.
    Try it on with Triton.
    Runnymede county council vs Ganymede county council.
    Puck that.
    Umbriel vs. Ariel the washing powder wars.
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could not bloody sleep again so I will contribute a bit more.

I loved Carl Sagan's books (RIP), he had the true common touch and a wonderful style of writing that could really open your eyes to the profound wonder of the universe.

Arthur C. Clark was another one, and (although it will not be popular) I love Dawkins as well.

I have every Viz Annual, and enjoyed Gerald Durrell and James Herriot as a child (and King and Herbert, lol). Although I have has to get rid of many books over the years for space reasons I still have some from over 30 years ago - and they look almost as good as new as I really look after my books.

Irvine Welsh is good, and I loved early Clive barker as The Books of Blood is one of the most original collection of horror short stories ever written.

It goes without saying I love my sharks, dinosaurs, nature, astronomy, archaeology etc etc.

I have several classic boxing books and I like unexplained mystery type books. But only those with a strongly scientific tone that seek to explain things in a rational manner (many so called 'mysteries' are total and utter cobblers - but the incredible precision and structure of the Great Pyramid (not any of the others), the Sphinx and the Sphinx temple (200 ton plus engineered blocks) and the Triathlon at Baalbek (800 ton blocks) are interesting for example.

I also used to love 2000AD, and have an interest in the Whitechapel Murderer ('Jack the Ripper' was a name made up by a tabloid journalist), and have only the most authoritative books on the subject (like the great pyramid there is an awful lot of bullshit written about the ripper).

When I begin to read again I have the collections of the great HP Lovecraft's stories to get through (Necronomicon and Eldritch Tales - got them cheap from Amazon a few years ago, both bound in real leather and really beautiful), I love Cthulhu and The Great Old Ones.

Phew.

Time for kip! :D
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Woo hoo *Waves like a lunatic*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOyvYnkdEcc&index=20&list=RDoBxEwrw_7A4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urt2cy7AqFs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8KlYc0xG80

Not my fault. Saw Carol King's name and off I went. Love her. Now I'll read past that post and catch up...:D:D

Good morning all xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:kitty:

Books ....I'm reading Cause of Death Patricia Cornwell in the Kay Scarpetta series. Scaring myself to bloody death.:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ramo1234 wrote: »
    Yay! I like that job :D

Hand over the cash Ramo!
    Ramo1234 wrote: »

Whenever you do that I get a whole page full of stuff? Others don't and I demand to now why :cool:
    Ha, I admit, I didn't know he had posted in here when I said that :blush:

Hark at me, I can't wait to get back to the caravan as I've recorded Dolly Parton at Glasto :D

You are mine and Bunion's adopted little brother :D

Ramo's my Grandson so hello Daughters:D

Dolly was fab but some silly sods were accusing her of miming! She wasn't! >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Woo hoo *Waves like a lunatic*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOyvYnkdEcc&index=20&list=RDoBxEwrw_7A4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urt2cy7AqFs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8KlYc0xG80

Not my fault. Saw Carol King's name and off I went. Love her. Now I'll read past that post and catch up...:D:D

Good morning all xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:kitty:

Books ....I'm reading Cause of Death Patricia Cornwell in the Kay Scarpetta series. Scaring myself to bloody death.:o
    Yay!!! There you are!! :D

Hope you like our new home :)

I'm starting work shortly but will pop back for a skive now and then ;)

Rambo's been collecting the subs for you :o:D xxx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I loved Carl Sagan's books (RIP), he had the true common touch and a wonderful style of writing that could really open your eyes to the profound wonder of the universe.

Arthur C. Clark was another one, and (although it will not be popular) I love Dawkins as well.

I have every Viz Annual, and enjoyed Gerald Durrell and James Herriot as a child (and King and Herbert, lol). Although I have has to get rid of many books over the years for space reasons I still have some from over 30 years ago - and they look almost as good as new as I really look after my books.

Irvine Welsh is good, and I loved early Clive barker as The Books of Blood is one of the most original collection of horror short stories ever written.

It goes without saying I love my sharks, dinosaurs, nature, astronomy, archaeology etc etc.

I have several classic boxing books and I like unexplained mystery type books. But only those with a strongly scientific tone that seek to explain things in a rational manner (many so called 'mysteries' are total and utter cobblers - but the incredible precision and structure of the Great Pyramid (not any of the others), the Sphinx and the Sphinx temple (200 ton plus engineered blocks) and the Triathlon at Baalbek (800 ton blocks) are interesting for example.

I also used to love 2000AD, and have an interest in the Whitechapel Murderer ('Jack the Ripper' was a name made up by a tabloid journalist), and have only the most authoritative books on the subject (like the great pyramid there is an awful lot of bullshit written about the ripper).

When I begin to read again I have the collections of the great HP Lovecraft's stories to get through (Necronomicon and Eldritch Tales - got them cheap from Amazon a few years ago, both bound in real leather and really beautiful), I love Cthulhu and The Great Old Ones.

Phew.

Bloody hell Keyser..........................(Just hiding me Enid Blytons) :blush:

No, seriously you like a good mix of genres and obviously have an impressively massive................brain. :cool: All I've read out of yours, years ago, are Herriot and Gerald Durrell. Also read something by his weird bro Lawrence which I can't remember now. It might have been Reflections on a Marine Venus but it might not LOL. Didn't make a note back then, which I have to do now. Hate science fiction and ghostly goings on, horror etc. Love froth lol
    I am really going to have to multiquote as my post count is obscene for 1 flaming year. Good old retirement :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yay!!! There you are!! :D

Hope you like our new home :)

I'm starting work shortly but will pop back for a skive now and then ;)

Rambo's been collecting the subs for you :o:D xxx

Hi love yes all shiny and new. I put some nice Roman blinds up. Hope I wasn't too presumptuous. Currently got Ramo on the rack, he thinks that cash is his?? Silly boy:kitty:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh FFS, OH is doing his sex face, he's won £290 now.

Really gone :D

Sounds like someone had an interesting night....;-):D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Did you buy shares? ^_^

No, but the company is based in Devon. Exmouth these days, used to be Budleigh Salterton.
  • Options
    RednellRednell Posts: 2,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, found you all. :p (Ta, Bunions :blush:)

I'm meant to be reading a ghost story -called Ghostwalker, part one of a set of chronicles. I'm finding it incredibly hard going at the minute.Someone is wandering through the forest with a mule and a musket and has been shot at by someone else. He's fired back, hit that person, and following the trail of blood has now found a girl tied to a tree.

It's struggling to hold my interest.
  • Options
    RednellRednell Posts: 2,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi love yes all shiny and new. I put some nice Roman blinds up. Hope I wasn't too presumptuous. Currently got Ramo on the rack, he thinks that cash is his?? Silly boy:kitty:

Oh gosh, are there subscriptions here, too?:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Phew.

Ooh, me too! :o

Which theory do you think is most compelling?

*Artist Walter Sickert?

Lunatic Thomas Hayne Cutbush?

Physician Sir William Withey Gull?

Fascinating crime - I used to work around there too ;)

*Wonder why there was such a backlash about Patricia Cornwell's 2002 book where she claimed that Sickert (great name) was the killer? I read books decades ago that put forward this same theory.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reading that just reminded me....did you know that you, Keyser and I have the exact same pretendy pine venetian blind from Argos? :o:D
    No, but the company is based in Devon. Exmouth these days, used to be Budleigh Salterton.
    You're a right geek innit? :kitty:
    Rednell wrote: »
    Ah, found you all. :p (Ta, Bunions :blush:)

I'm meant to be reading a ghost story -called Ghostwalker, part one of a set of chronicles. I'm finding it incredibly hard going at the minute.Someone is wandering through the forest with a mule and a musket and has been shot at by someone else. He's fired back, hit that person, and following the trail of blood has now found a girl tied to a tree.

It's struggling to hold my interest.
    Welcome aboard Nell!! *waves* :cool:

Lovely to see you :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oooooh ello everyone...:)

*pulls up the comfy chair*

I've got too many books. Just about to start on Irvine Welsh Skagboys. I've never not loved any of his stuff.

Interesting mix here already innit.

Thanks for the heads up bout the thread Keyser
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You're a right geek innit?

Well, if anybody wants to talk about maps, atlases, 20th century history (particularly WW2), travel guides, astronomy, cricket books etc., you've got my attention.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, if anybody wants to talk about maps, atlases, 20th century history (particularly WW2), travel guides, astronomy, cricket books etc., you've got my attention.
    Erm.....let me have a think about it :blush:

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WoodenCat wrote: »
    Oooooh ello everyone...:)

*pulls up the comfy chair*

I've got too many books. Just about to start on Irvine Welsh Skagboys. I've never not loved any of his stuff.

Interesting mix here already innit.

Thanks for the heads up bout the thread Keyser

Hi Woodie :):):)
    Can't stop at the mo, got loads to do this morning but just wanted to say I'm made up you are here xxx

Hi All, back later :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    Hand over the cash Ramo!

Whenever you do that I get a whole page full of stuff? Others don't and I demand to now why :cool:

Ramo's my Grandson so hello Daughters:D

Dolly was fab but some silly sods were accusing her of miming! She wasn't! >:(
    Here's the money Grandma :D:kitty:
    Ha, You are mine and Bunion's adopted little brother :D
    Yay! :p
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm off already.
    I thought it said Bonklovers Bunker ;-)

If I have to type about books, 'The Kite Runner' must be number one for me.
    What a great book.

I just bought a Kindle Paperwhite for reading on holiday, I had resisted for a while as I like a proper book

Back to work now for me, bye all :)
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading 'Let The Right One In'... excellent characterisation and a well paced plot, really got a feeling for Swedish housing estates and alcoholics! Not for those of a weak disposition though ;):D