Options

Missing ingredient?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,670
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi guys, I'm cooking a meal for some friends with a french theme and I was thinking of adapting a chicken, red onion and brie pie into little appetisers with the filling wrapped in puff pastry, however my main course is chicken and I was thinking that it would be too much chicken so I would just do red onion and brie together but then thought that that hasn't got enough flavour in it, so any ideas what else I could add to the onion and brie?

Comments

• Options
    Ju411Ju411 Posts: 1,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peppers maybe? or tomatoes, courgettes, carottes...the possibilities are endless :) don't forget the garlic :D
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Aubergine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    Redcurrant jelly :p
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cherry tomatoes?
  • Options
    LaurieMarlowLaurieMarlow Posts: 5,003
    Forum Member
    Brie (or better again, camembert) and red onion has lots of flavour. But I would add something piquant, like a small amount of cranberry sauce, or pepper relish. :)
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dump the brie - tasteless rubbish which is why the French send it all here.
    Alan
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've done this a few times, it's delicious!

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3615/shallot-tarte-tatin.jsp
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    Dump the brie - tasteless rubbish which is why the French send it all here.
    Alan

You could replace it with taleggio which tastes good in a tart with caramelised onions.
  • Options
    Randomguy83Randomguy83 Posts: 16,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    You could replace it with taleggio which tastes good in a tart with caramelised onions.

I can say i concur with this. It has a nice balanced flavour and will go well with the rest of your meal. I've had just caramelised onion tarts on their own and they were very tasty too. Remember you don't always need to pack a lot of ingredients into a meal to make it taste nice. it is often the simple flavours that are the best.