Options

Redundancy advice

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,655
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Needing a bit of advice*

My funding comes to an end on the 31st march , and 2 weeks ago we received a letter about a meeting of risk to redundancy!*

We had the meeting and now feel even more confused! I'm on a permanent contract of 37 hours and my colleague is employed for 7 hours ( unsure of contract type). *As the funding was coming to an end I was in the mindset of redundancy.*

But now they have got funding from somewhere else for a year to do a slightly different job. This was ring fenced for both of us to apply!*

From the meeting with HR I felt like they were pushing me to reduce my hours so my colleague and myself could jobshare. Financially I can't drop my hours and my colleague would like to increase her hours. *As I the new post is temporary and not exactly the same as current job I wasn't interested in applying in it. HR told me that if I didn't go for it I loose my redundancy! So head to head we go.*

I'm just confused as its only 3 weeks left, and it all seems very last minute . *We have a meeting on Wednesday and I would like to have a bit more knowledge.*

Can anyone give me any good tips or advice?*

Sorry if it doesn't make sense. *

Comments

• Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what advice are you actually asking for?
    of course you need to apply for the job. if you don't then you are not being made redundant.

what you would rather have, no job and no income, or a job with less hours but still have some sort of income.

you already knew that come 31st march that your contract was due to end, so really nothing has changed on this respect.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you need to speak to ACAS because the bit that stood out to me was that you would lose your redundancy if you did not apply for this new role, which was a different job and possibly reduced hours with the person you job share with? If your role is being made redundant then you should surely be entitled to redundancy?

Out of interest, how long have you been with them?

EDIT: Just to clarify, you are a permanent member of staff but the organisation you work for relies on external funding which is ringfenced for specific projects?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    what advice are you actually asking for?
    of course you need to apply for the job. if you don't then you are not being made redundant.

what you would rather have, no job and no income, or a job with less hours but still have some sort of income.

you already knew that come 31st march that your contract was due to end, so really nothing has changed on this respect.

No I don't want to not have a job but can't afford to go part time! This is all new to me and I feel that i haven't been given enough time to consider the option of job share or part time! Also forgot my colleague would like the 37 hours too! And don't want to go through the process again next year! I a currently looking for ther jobs, but the job isn't a job I can accept and then leave half way through!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you need to speak to ACAS because the bit that stood out to me was that you would lose your redundancy if you did not apply for this new role, which was a different job and possibly reduced hours with the person you job share with? If your role is being made redundant then you should surely be entitled to redundancy?

Out of interest, how long have you been with them?

EDIT: Just to clarify, you are a permanent member of staff but the organisation you work for relies on external funding which is ringfenced for specific projects?

Thanks for that I will look into ACAS. It's the local county council I work for! I work in education and the government have stopped the specific area of funding! There was hope that they would have enough funding to keep me, but other funding has been found to change the role. I have worked for them just under 3 years and was only told funding was going last summer!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cleocat wrote: »
    No I don't want to not have a job but can't afford to go part time! This is all new to me and I feel that i haven't been given enough time to consider the option of job share or part time! Also forgot my colleague would like the 37 hours too! And don't want to go through the process again next year! I a currently looking for ther jobs, but the job isn't a job I can except and then leave half way through!

Why????
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are actually offered a similar but different role with no worse terms and conditions and you decline it you would lose your right to a redundancy payment. However it is quite wrong of them to say you would lose that for not applying for a job with different terms and conditions.

How long have you worked there?
  • Options
    ih8mondaysih8mondays Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there is something about if a job is more than 20% different to your old job, it has to be advertised to others, rather than just allow you to move into that post.

I suspect if you do not wish to apply for a job that is substantially different from your job, you can't loose your redundancy payment - as the role you *were* doing has been made redundant. I'd seek advice from ACAS!

Allowing you to apply for other jobs internally, with or without ringfencing, is a useful way of keeping knowledge in the organisation and helping staff find quick employment, but to my knowledge you don't have to apply for any jobs that are offered / available to you (where they are substantially different).

I'd also suggest taking the job share if both agree, part time work is better than no work - and hopefully that can tide you over while you find a 2nd part time job and/or quit when you find other full time employment.

As for not being able to quit half way through the contract - what is the worst that could happen? Why can't you quit?!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work with children and families and building up relationships with these families takes time. I currently work within schools and support families that way. The new funding will change the way we work to only work with families with MOD children who attend the schools. It Won't make sense to anyone who doesn't work in the same area to why it would be difficult to leave.
  • Options
    ih8mondaysih8mondays Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work with children and families and building up relationships with these families takes time. I currently work within schools and support families that way. The new funding will change the way we work to only work with families with MOD children who attend the schools. It Won't make sense to anyone who doesn't work in the same area to why it would be difficult to leave.

Why show loyalty to an organisation that plans to get rid of you?

If you seriously can't afford to live on the wages that new role would pay you and a better job comes along, you have to take it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

difficult to leave - possibly.
    impossible to leave - no.

people have to realise that a job is just that, a job. employers have little or no loyalty these days and can (and will) get rid of you at the drop of a hat. employees need to have the same attitude and have loyalty to only themselves.

you need to do what is best for you, and if that means leaving at any point then so be it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    difficult to leave - possibly.
    impossible to leave - no.

people have to realise that a job is just that, a job. employers have little or no loyalty these days and can (and will) get rid of you at the drop of a hat. employees need to have the same attitude and have loyalty to only themselves.

you need to do what is best for you, and if that means leaving at any point then so be it.

Thanks that makes it clearer I know I need to go with my head and not my heart and the loyalty thing absolutely so true! I just think of the families that I'm working with not the loyalty to the organisation! I think I will contact ACAS for some advice regarding them "pushing"me into a job share post! I think if they had told us that before I could of made sense of it but not in the last few weeks where I'm having to tell everyone I'm working with I'm leaving but could be back in a different role!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would also tell ACAS (not to mention your HR dept) that you have been told that you have to apply for this job or lose your redundancy as I feel sure they will have plenty to say about that!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would also tell ACAS (not to mention your HR dept) that you have been told that you have to apply for this job or lose your redundancy as I feel sure they will have plenty to say about that!

It was HR that told me!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was HR that told me!

You are kidding?! Sneaky lot. Definitely a call to ACAS. Their helpline is really good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You are kidding?! Sneaky lot. Definitely a call to ACAS. Their helpline is really good.

it depends what they actually said, it's not uncommon for people to hear something entirely different to what has been actually said.

and as per a previous post
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    If you are actually offered a similar but different role with no worse terms and conditions and you decline it you would lose your right to a redundancy payment. However it is quite wrong of them to say you would lose that for not applying for a job with different terms and conditions.
  • Options
    a_asbestosa_asbestos Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do detest my fellow HR colleagues behaving like this. I'll just clarify the main points:

1. Your post is to disappear or there is a diminished need for it, therefore you are at risk of redundancy.
    2. They have offered you (what they consider) to be reasonable alternative employment - you do not have to accept this and you do not affect your entitlement to redundancy pay, as long as you have two years service.
    3. Offering alternative employment is part of the redundancy process, it's been pitched badly and completely unlawfully.
    4. Go to your meeting and thank them for the offer of reasonable alternative employment (that terminology will imply you have took advice), however you see the terms and conditions as too significant a change and therefore your role as it stands is redundant and you would like a breakdown of your redundancy entitlements.
    5. Remember redundancy is a form of dismissal so you have recourse to a claim if they don't follow procedure correctly.