BAFTA Award for Soap Opera and Continuing Drama (Spoiler)

13»

Comments

• xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,272
    Forum Member
    lloydsimco wrote: »
    This is another body blow for that Cockney tripe!

:confused::confused:
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    blue_angel wrote: »
    I'm guessing it's because it would be unlikely that the voters would be able to watch 48 episodes in the Continuous Drama category alone. That's before you include all the other categories.

Every category is just one episode submitted, such as comedy shows, entertainment shows etc. They all send in what is considered to be their best work. Actually the "soaps" do get a little more entitlement. If they make the shortlist they can then submit 2 episodes for consideration.

It would be fairer if they just picked a random episode.

The prize should go for consistency
  • salford boysalford boy Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    i love 'cockney tripe.' :D
  • blue_angelblue_angel Posts: 3,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    It would be fairer if they just picked a random episode.

The prize should go for consistency

That's actually an interesting idea! I still don't really agree with it, but I think the concept of just picking an episode of each 'continuing drama' by random and comparing them would be a very different method and I'd like to see the results.
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    How is it? It's the BAFTA's they work differently to other awards shows.
    EastEnders has won it the past 2 years (and has about 9 BAFTA's in total) The 2 years before that The Bill and Casualty won.

It's based on a single episode that's put forward and not the whole year as a whole.

Emmerdale didn't get a Nom and other big shows like BGT,Strictly,Dr Who,Merlin,X factor also didn't get a nod this year
  • T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    How is it? It's the BAFTA's they work differently to other awards shows.
    EastEnders has won it the past 2 years (and has about 9 BAFTA's in total) The 2 years before that The Bill and Casualty won.

It's based on a single episode that's put forward and not the whole year as a whole.

Emmerdale didn't get a Nom and other big shows like BGT,Strictly,Dr Who,Merlin,X factor also didn't get a nod this year

I'm pretty sure EE will get back to winning ways next year :). It's obviously not gonna win EVERY year, but it's got a huge trophy cabinet anyway :D. Hardly another body blow to be honest as they did win "Best Soap" at the BSA.

How many BAFTAs do Corrie have in total?
    Forum Member
    T.K. Mazin wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure EE will get back to winning ways next year :). It's obviously not gonna win EVERY year, but it's got a huge trophy cabinet anyway :D. Hardly another body blow to be honest as they did win "Best Soap" at the BSA.

4 in total...2003,2004,2005,2012 (EastEnders had no Nomination in 2004 and 2005)

EastEnders 2000,2002,2006,2007,2010,2011 (Corrie had no nomination in 2009,2010,2011)

Emmerdale is not a BAFTA award winning show:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

From what I can make out;

1999 - EE
    2000 - EE
    2001- EmDale
    2002- EE
    2003 - Corrie
    2004- Corrie
    2005- Corrie
    2006- EE
    2007 - Casulty
    2008- Holby City
    2009- The Bill
    2010- EE
    2011- EE
    2012- Corrie

It was the Best Soap Award from 1999, then Best Continuing Drama from 2004.

EDIT: dan, you beat me to it! :p Damn this clickity clackity old typewriter! Did Emmerdale not win in 2001? My sources have displeased me...I may have to go leave a horse's head on their pillow.:eek::D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    4 in total...2003,2004,2005,2012 (EastEnders had no Nomination in 2004 and 2005)

EastEnders 2000,2002,2006,2007,2010,2011 (Corrie had no nomination in 2009,2010,2011)

Haha not suprising for me... I've always thought it was a terrible soap in all honesty :o.

Go on EE! Corrie will need another 2 BAFTAs to catch up ;):p.

Thanks, Dan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From what I can make out;

1999 - EE
    2000 - EE
    2001- EmDale
    2002- EE
    2003 - Corrie
    2004- Corrie
    2005- Corrie
    2006- EE
    2007 - Casulty
    2008- Holby City
    2009- The Bill
    2010- EE
    2011- EE
    2012- Corrie

It was the Best Soap Award from 1999, then Best Continuing Drama from 2004.

Great. Thanks, blueangel :cool:. That's very interesting. Corrie had a nice hat-trick in the early 00's didn't they?
    Forum Member
    Great. Thanks, blueangel :cool:. That's very interesting. Corrie had a nice hat-trick in the early 00's didn't they?
    EastEnders wasn't Nominated in 2004 and 2005 but that's not s surprise as the years were pretty rubbish. I can only assume the 20th Birthday episode was what won it in 2006 (or Jeans Bi-Polor storyline?)
  • Pete CallanPete Callan Posts: 24,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coronation Street was unmissable then. Still is in my opinion, but so many classic storylines and characters in that period. Fully deserved!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They did! EE are in front, but haven't managed to get a hatrick yet! I'm quite amused by the 'Emergancy Services Trio' in 2007-2009. Not that they aren't good shows, it just seemed that the voters were on a bit of a theme voting for those years. Crime and sickness was popular late last decade! :D
    Forum Member
    They did! EE are in front, but haven't managed to get a hatrick yet! I'm quite amused by the 'Emergancy Services Trio' in 2007-2009. Not that they aren't good shows, it just seemed that the voters were on a bit of a theme voting for those years. :D
    2009 'The Bill' was for the Brilliant LIVE episode i think
    Where they featured that huge stunt. Im sure Casualty won for the illness storyline or one of the Nurses sons .
    Dunno about Holby though
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2009 'The Bill' was for the Brilliant LIVE episode i think
    Where they featured that huge stunt. Im sure Casualty won for the illness storyline or one of the Nurses sons .
    Dunno about Holby though

Ah yeah! I forgot about the live episode! Did EE put forward it's live episode when it won the other year? That would be interesting if they both won for live.

Although Corrie didn't win for it's live episode did it? I remember it got beaten out by Billie's death on EE. Although did it win for it's first live episode? I can't remember what year that was.

Emmerdale has it's live episode this year. That'll be interesting to see how it does in next years awards.
    Forum Member
    Ah yeah! I forgot about the live episode! Did EE put forward it's live episode when it won the other year? That would be interesting if they both won for live.

Although Corrie didn't win for it's live episode did it? I remember it got beaten out by Billie's death on EE. Although did it win for it's first live episode? I can't remember what year that was.

Emmerdale has it's live episode this year. That'll be interesting to see how it does in next years awards.
    No....2000 EastEnders won (Corries first LIVE ep)
    2010 EastEnders won for Stacey's Bi Polor(when she got taken away by the Doctor) and 2011 it was for Billes death

(Corrie's 2nd Live ep was 2010)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No....2000 EastEnders won (Corries first LIVE ep)
    2010 EastEnders won for Stacey's Bi Polor(when she got taken away by the Doctor) and 2011 it was for Billes death

(Corrie's 2nd Live ep was 2010)

Corrie's 2nd live ep was aired in Dec 2010 and then nominated for the 2011 ceremony wasn't it?

Ah, yes, I remember it winning for Stacey's bi-polor episode now!

Well, that's good. The pressure's off ED then as far as live episodes go. They don't have to worry about winning anything. ;)
    Forum Member
    Corrie's 2nd live ep was aired in Dec 2010 and then nominated for the 2011 ceremony wasn't it?

Ah, yes, I remember it winning for Stacey's bi-polor episode now!

Well, that's good. The pressure's off ED then as far as live episodes go. They don't have to worry about winning anything. ;)
    No I think it was the Tram crash episode that was out forward. However Corrie won a special award for '50 years on screen'

Lol Very True:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I think it was the Tram crash episode that was out forward. However Corrie won a special award for '50 years on screen'

Lol Very True:D

Ah, yes! That was the one before the live ep! It's all come flooding back to me now! I know it's in my brain somewhere, it just needs a lot of coaxing for me to remember.:D
    Forum Member
    Ah, yes! That was the one before the live ep! It's all come flooding back to me now! I know it's in my brain somewhere, it just needs a lot of coaxing for me to remember.:D
    Lol...Well the Tram crash was the Mondays ep and the LIVE ep was Thursday (but there was a Tuesday and wednesday ep also)

Looks at this...anyone would think i actually watch corrie:eek::cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol...Well the Tram crash was the Mondays ep and the LIVE ep was Thursday (but there was a Tuesday and wednesday ep also)

Looks at this...anyone would think i actually watch corrie:eek::cool:

Ha ha! Well I'm close enough!

I watch corrie sporadically, but I did watch the whole week of the Tram crash and the aftermath. Apparently it wasn't on one of my mental Post-It notes that are stuck on my brain, so the details are a bit fuzzy.
  • hulakulahulakula Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member

I'm surprised Eastenders didn't win in 2001 but won in 2006/2007 :o

2000/2001 was a great era for the show with Ethel's Euthanasia storyline, the Slaters/ Truemans introduction and who shot Phil and loads of great characters. where as the highlight of 2006 was Sonia suddenly deciding she fancies women and had some of the lowest viewing figures ever .

I'm surprised Coronation street wasn't even nominated the last few years, especially last year with the tram crash.

It does seem a bit silly to judge a continuous drama on one episode, as others have said it would be fairer to base the decision on at least half a dozen episodes.