Options

Worst example where your dignity been taken from you?

D*****D***** Posts: 3,584
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've let myself go a bit in the last couple of years. Maybe 2 or 3 stone overweight (I'm 6 foot so I carry it better than a shorter person maybe - but overweight nonetheless). Few difficulties in my personal life means I haven't taken care of myself as well as I should have and yes I am ashamed of it and I'm set on working on it.

This evening, walking down a busy road a car drove past with a few lads in it. Football shirts on, shades on, megaphone in hand... maybe they were off to enjoy the match tonight. One leaned out of the passenger window and shouted in the megaphone 'Oi Oi Fat Boy' and laughed. About 20 people up and down the road must have heard. I was mortified and hurt. How could someone take my dignity away like that and how could it be so hilarious to make someone feel so bad about themselves.

Won't shed a tear about but I'm angry someone thinks they have a right to do that to someone. Anyone else have tales of people just mercilessly ripping the pee for no reason?

Comments

• Options
    Hobbes1966Hobbes1966 Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    That was nasty, try not to let it get to you too much though. They were stupid idiots. I know if i'd have witnessed that in the street then my thoughts would have been anger at the morons shouting rather than thinking anything negative about the person they were shouting to. They embarrassed themselves imo.
  • Options
    far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    Hobbes1966 wrote: »
    That was nasty, try not to let it get to you too much though. They were stupid idiots. I know if i'd have witnessed that in the street then my thoughts would have been anger at the morons shouting rather than thinking anything negative about the person they were shouting to. They embarrassed themselves imo.

Agreed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hobbes1966 wrote: »

I agree, that was horrible and I'm sorry that it happened to you.

I too would feel anger towards the people shouting out such offensive remarks. Idiots exist.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ignore those d**kheads, they're the bane of many people's lives and they had no right to do that to you :mad:

I've got plenty of examples but I'm not going to depress everyone with them, they're pretty dark.
  • Options
    archiverarchiver Posts: 13,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's possible they may have been doing something they call 'Having a laugh'. Had you not been available to provide it, someone else would probably have got an "Oi thin boy!" or short boy, or whatever. I've had a "Get your hair cut!" a couple of times, but there's rarely enough time to think of, and respond with something similarly 'funny'. Never had one with a megaphone though. I bet the lads were ecstatic before they even got to the match. :)

Sounds like you're well on the way to sorting yourself out a bit. If they don't break it, they'll probably be back again with the same trick for months, but maybe next time they see you it'll be 'Oi muscle man!' :)

Worst example of my dignity being taken was when I was grabbed by four huge men and taken from Glastonbury festival to a disgusting temporary cell where I was locked up for a few hours until being strip searched and anally inspected. Some things are unforgettable. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    I've had things like that numerous times. Just think: would you rather be the yob/lout yelling crap from a moving car at people you don't even know or somebody who has the correct manners to not be unnecessarily rude?

They've clearly not been taught how to behave in a civilized manner.
  • Options
    D*****D***** Posts: 3,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah cheers all. Was hurt/ angry at the time but don't care so much now. Just can't believe people behave like this :confused:. That kind of thing could ruin some people's esteem. Blows my mind. :mad:

Had to have been in their twenties too. Braindead :rolleyes:
  • Options
    CloneClownCloneClown Posts: 6,296
    Forum Member
    Having colitis. :(
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP - really don't take it to heart - they've made fools of themselves.

Think of them as like the Inbetweeners - the blonde one, shouting 'buswankers' - it's at that level, really.

You have the power to dismiss them as fools. They haven't taken your dignity - they're jerks, and if anyone heard I expect most if not all would think they were dicks.

(And even three stone overweight at six foot odd, isn't huge).
  • Options
    sibooboosibooboo Posts: 1,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP - really don't take it to heart - they've made fools of themselves.

Think of them as like the Inbetweeners - the blonde one, shouting 'buswankers' - it's at that level, really.

You have the power to dismiss them as fools. They haven't taken your dignity - they're jerks, and if anyone heard I expect most if not all would think they were dicks.

(And even three stone overweight at six foot odd, isn't huge).

I completely agree, and it's probably down to people thinking it hilarious to copy characters off a TV proramme, that idiots like this emerge :mad::mad:
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Couple of examples spring to mind, both related to airports...

On the way into Spain I was stood in the queue at passport control and the guy in front was carrying a plastic bag full of duty-free booze.
    I guess I was looking at the bag just as it happened because I saw the bag start to split and I reached forward to try and grab the bottles to stop them falling but I wasn't fast enough and they smashed on the floor.
    The guy turned around and looked at me and I was just starting to think "Oh, I hope he doesn't think I ripped the bag or something" when I was hit in the legs from behind and before I knew it we were both kneeling on the floor with guns pointed at us by rather angry spanish soldiers who were demanding we clean up the mess.
    I looked up at one of the soldiers, kinda shrugged because a) it was really f**k-all to do with me and b) because I had nothing to mop up the spilled booze with.
    His response was to prod me in the head with his rifle and say "Use clothes. Clear up now!"
    I started putting bits of broken glass onto the ripped plastic bag the other guy was still holding but there was no way I was gonna take off my shirt and use it as a rag and, fortunately, a cleaner showed up a few seconds later to deal with it properly.
    I guess the soldiers were having a bad day or summat.

On another occasion, I was entering some shithole in Africa, got to the metal detector and was told to remove everything metal I was carrying and put it in a tray.
    Took off my watch, emptied my pockets of keys, coins, phone, wallet etc and put them in the tray.
    Put my rucksack on the conveyor-belt for the x-ray machine, walked through the metal detector, got to the other side and found that all that was left in the tray was my wallet (with no cash in it).
    Started to ask the guard what happened to my stuff and he just said "Sir, you have laptop as well?"
    I said "Yes".
    He smiled and said "Maybe you don't. Maybe you have nothing".
    I looked around at the guy holding my rucksack and he smiled at me.
    I asked for my rucksack and the guard said "Sir, is this your baggage?"
    I said "Yes".
    He said "And is any of your property missing?"
    I bit my tongue, said "No", got my rucksack back from the two smiling shitheads and left them with their new Timex watch and poxy Nokia phone.
    Most annoying bit was they nicked my f**king house keys and the keyring was one that my missus had bought me when we first met. :(
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ignore them OP, they were ******* looking for a cheap laugh, be lucky it wasn't your family like me and my husband get.

My husband has put on a lot of weight, but makes no difference to me, but is constantly getting told he is fat by family, thats he's disgusting, that he looks pregnant!

I got it from his grandmother yesterday because we went out for lunch and I had a burger!

It riles me up when they start on him, usually when his family is all together for a family event! They normally all go out for meals, and they start on him, even though his mother and father are fat!! Thats the bit that puzzles me!

Sorry OP for hijacking your thread, ignore them.
  • Options
    EuanMebabeEuanMebabe Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I'd witnessed that, I would probably have laughed. I laughed when I read it.
  • Options
    Hootie19Hootie19 Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP - you are dealing with your problems and your excess weight can be lost.

Pity them - they are stuck with their stupidity (and they probably have teeny willies)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    Hootie19 wrote: »
    OP - you are dealing with your problems and your excess weight can be lost.

Pity them - they are stuck with their stupidity (and they probably have teeny willies)

Exactly. I believe that the mean people were showing off to their friends. They are thickos with not a brain cell between them.
    Did their team lose by the way? Just nasty people who one day will get their karma..
    I once suffered a train journey with football fans who verbally poked fun at my hair colour. I didn't interact with them at all because I was afraid.
    There was no way through either end of the carraige because of them blocking the way through by sitting in the corridors, not to mention the vomit.
    It was a horrible journey and I felt very vunerable and a bit of a fool but I doubt any of them realised that it was intimidating.
  • Options
    peonpeon Posts: 1,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D***** wrote: »
    I've let myself go a bit in the last couple of years. Maybe 2 or 3 stone overweight (I'm 6 foot so I carry it better than a shorter person maybe - but overweight nonetheless). Few difficulties in my personal life means I haven't taken care of myself as well as I should have and yes I am ashamed of it and I'm set on working on it.

This evening, walking down a busy road a car drove past with a few lads in it. Football shirts on, shades on, megaphone in hand... maybe they were off to enjoy the match tonight. One leaned out of the passenger window and shouted in the megaphone 'Oi Oi Fat Boy' and laughed. About 20 people up and down the road must have heard. I was mortified and hurt. How could someone take my dignity away like that and how could it be so hilarious to make someone feel so bad about themselves.

Won't shed a tear about but I'm angry someone thinks they have a right to do that to someone. Anyone else have tales of people just mercilessly ripping the pee for no reason?

a quick blast of the truffle shuffle would have sorted them out, no danger
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the lot of you have lost the plot. The OP isn't morbidly obese. He's possibly 3 stone overweight and at 6 ft tall will be able to carry it better than a smaller man. If the guys in the car had leaned out and pushed him over, I'd be sympathetic. But they didn't. I doubt they were trying to hurt him by shouting "Oi, oi fat boy" either. If it had happened to me I would have put my hand up and shouted, "Alright lads?" I think the OP has overreacted hugely, and the rest of you seem unable to see the incident for what it was, a bit of fun.
  • Options
    Hootie19Hootie19 Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But Euan - it doesn't matter what YOU think.

Whether the OP is 5lbs overweight or 5st overweight, the fact is that it is something that he is sensitive about. If it's not something that you would be sensitive about, that's irrelevant.

The OP felt his dignity had been taken from him because some hyped up fools, with an overdose of testosterone coursing through them, thought it was a bit of a joke to make fun of him.

You would deal with it in your own way. The OP was upset by it. Doesn't make it right or wrong.
  • Options
    ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EuanMebabe wrote: »
    I think the lot of you have lost the plot. The OP isn't morbidly obese. He's possibly 3 stone overweight and at 6 ft tall will be able to carry it better than a smaller man. If the guys in the car had leaned out and pushed him over, I'd be sympathetic. But they didn't. I doubt they were trying to hurt him by shouting "Oi, oi fat boy" either. If it had happened to me I would have put my hand up and shouted, "Alright lads?" I think the OP has overreacted hugely, and the rest of you seem unable to see the incident for what it was, a bit of fun.

A bit of fun at the OP's expense. They are morons, nothing more, nothing less.
  • Options
    Pet1986Pet1986 Posts: 7,701
    Forum Member
    being strip searched before i was allowed into Turkey probably ranks as a low point, particularly as it was days after my 18th birthday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was a youth, leaning out of car windows and shouting was something most people of my age did of an evening. Nobody lost their dignity as a result of it. If the OP seriously feels his dignity was cruelly taken from him by such a trivial event, I think the problem lies with him having such a thin skin. The answer isn't to stop youths enjoying themselves, it's to get down to the gym and work on losing the excess weight which is clearly upsetting to him.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me, there was an incident in the greenhouse of a British borstal in 1979...:cry::cry::cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, there was an incident in the greenhouse of a British borstal in 1979...:cry::cry::cry:

I know exactly what you're talking about. That used to give me nightmares.
  • Options
    ganderpoke66ganderpoke66 Posts: 2,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EuanMebabe wrote: »
    When I was a youth, leaning out of car windows and shouting was something most people of my age did of an evening. Nobody lost their dignity as a result of it. If the OP seriously feels his dignity was cruelly taken from him by such a trivial event, I think the problem lies with him having such a thin skin. The answer isn't to stop youths enjoying themselves, it's to get down to the gym and work on losing the excess weight which is clearly upsetting to him.

I have to agree, it seemed a fairly trivial episode, a jibe about your weight is low octane stuff, it could have been a LOT worse.
    The OP is in for a very hard life if he takes huge offence at a bit of silly impersonal banter from a few drunk lads
  • Options
    ProgRockerProgRocker Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D***** wrote: »

Yep, that's happened to me a few times. You were on your own and it seems that people who are not accompanied by another person are unfairly singled out more. I'm very independantly minded. I get the rather horrible 'snort' or 'throat clearing' by some people who I pass in the street. Quite often my attention is on a house, building or an old car parked on the street although I am still mindful to give person I am passing space on the pavement. :rolleyes:

A couple of weeks ago one evening I went for a walk. Out of the corner of my eye a car came past with the naff thumping bass music. Just audibly about the drone, the front seat passenger put his head out of the window and shouted something at me. Now this happened very unexpectedly and it took a few seconds for me to process what happened...

I think he called me a "F****** p***k". Although the comment angered me (I didn't know who it was, or what I had done to deserve that) I just carried on walking straight ahead as if nothing happened. These people just wanted to get some sort of reaction out of me. I bet the guy who shouted at me was frustrated that I didn't react.

The persons shouting things from the car would almost certainly not have done that if they were on foot, whereby they can be whisked away from a potential slapping by the victim! It is pure cowardice and one day they will do it to the wrong person.