ten examples of "TV" admitting they were wrong and reversing a decision

Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
Forum Member
✭✭
I can think of Match of The Day introducing a new theme tune (or version of it), and after a few weeks of complaints the old one was re-instated. (actually they may not have admitted they were wrong, but they certainly reversed a decision)

Can we come up with nine more examples of a reversal?
(not just "UK only" shows)

Comments

• TheIllusionistTheIllusionist Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    Can we have a link to this alternative MotD theme tune? I've forgotten about it.
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    Channel 4 axed the Big Brother live feed in 2009, returned it for 2010 after complaints.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV brought back Foyle's War for a time after it was axed.
  • SamsMamSamsMam Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    When the children's show Waybuloo introduced narration by Dave Lamb (come dine with me) the viewers response was so negative they immediately dropped it and reverted back to the original concept.
  • Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,155
    Forum Member
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    I can think of Match of The Day introducing a new theme tune (or version of it), and after a few weeks of complaints the old one was re-instated. (actually they may not have admitted they were wrong, but they certainly reversed a decision)

Can we come up with nine more examples of a reversal?
    (not just "UK only" shows)

Eastenders did a similar thing back in the early nineties with their theme tune - didn't last very long. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOs26bSzA6Y

Family Guy was canceled in its third? season, only to be brought back a year later by Fox due to demand by fans.
  • garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    Eastenders did a similar thing back in the early nineties with their theme tune - didn't last very long. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOs26bSzA6Y

Family Guy was canceled in its third? season, only to be brought back a year later by Fox due to demand by fans.[/QUOTE]

Techincally it was more to do with DVD sales than fan demand... though i guess you could say the two things are the same
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    Not sure if this counts but on one of the "Next Top Model" series, the host named the wrong person as the winner and then had to admit the mistake
  • Hello.Hello. Posts: 1,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't they change the Blue Peter theme tune once? They also changed the logo into a ship that looked more like it was made out of bubbles, but changed it back.
  • Molly HuntMolly Hunt Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Masterchef last year was all over the place -different days, times and format.
    Lots of complaints have obviously persuaded the BBC to revert to old formula.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Family guy is the biggest one of recent times. Ch4 managed to mess up even worse than Fox by showing it cut to shreds at 6pm!

An example recently discussed in the sci-fi section was the dropping of Dr Beverly Crusher from season two of Star Trek TNG, only to bring her back in season 3.
  • daisyduck1976daisyduck1976 Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The US series Unforgettable, on CBS, was cancelled at the end of its first season this year in May. It was a bit of a surprise as it was doing well and hitting the right demographic. They apparently wanted to make space for 4 new dramas they had commissioned.

They changed their minds a month later before fans had even had a chance to really get going with their protests. Rumours are that they lost confidence in one or two of the series when they saw scripts etc.

It's back in summer 2013. I'm glad, because I enjoyed it!
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Not sure if this counts but on one of the "Next Top Model" series, the host named the wrong person as the winner and then had to admit the mistake
    Wogan did the same with a Eurovision show.
    Forum Member
    Sid Waddell
    He made one performance as the "Voice of the Balls" on the National Lottery Red Alert on BBC in 1999. He claims to have been sacked for being "too Geordie".
  • MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eastenders changed to the smooth/lounge version of the theme tune in the early 90s, it even got a new vocal version. It was changed back fairly quickly.
    Forum Member
    Sky Sports - Football. They put the scorecard at the bottom left for a couple of games, got complaints and changed it back.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael Grade cancelled Dr Who but it was brought back.

ITV admitted it got it wrong with Chiles and Bleakley on Daybreak and brought in new presenters

The BBC conceded there were too few older women presenting the news and brought in Julia Somerville et al.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    Michael Grade cancelled Dr Who but it was brought back.

ITV admitted it got it wrong with Chiles and Bleakley on Daybreak and brought in new presenters

The BBC conceded there were too few older women presenting the news and brought in Julia Somerville et al.

How many years between Dr Who coming back.
    It wasn't in the best of health when it went IMO, lacked charm.
    I don't watch it, but apparently it's a very different beast compared to the old days now.
    I almost watched it when Bernard Cribbins was in it.

Edit: OT but how's the BBC doing for older Women presenters generally, compared to men?
  • bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Killing off Bobby Ewing in Dallas. (Though I suppose that wasn't really the programme makers' fault, as Patrick Duffy was the one who wanted to leave.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    Countdown jazzing up the clock tune in 1996 but changing it back to the previous one a week later.

Casualty introducing a new theme in 2006 but changing back to the 2001 remix for the following series.