Options

School detention- unreasonable?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And that poster has been told the OP has been told. :)

I just saw :p
  • Options
    Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    No. The attitude of some is, unfortunately, not a surprise.

... and, I don't mean the teachers.

Teachers who show no respect for their students, do not deserve respect from them. Teachers who have to resort to bullying tactics to encourage their students to achieve perfection, shouldn't really be teachers.
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    giz a tab wrote: »
    Phone the school and register your disapproval in the strongest terms possible.
    No child is expected to score 100% in any subject regardless of what it is, and no teacher is allowed to threaten a pupil under any circumstances.
    These jumped up little demi gods need to be pulled down a peg or two.

I totally agree with the above. Let us know what happened today please.
  • Options
    PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marfjam wrote: »
    Irrespective of the rights and wrongs involved, the teacher's strategy should have been completely counter-productive. Next time the teacher tries this trick, advise your son to do no revision whatsoever, but just go out/up/wherever and play. Get the other parents to give the same advice to their kids.

Why? Simple. The cost to each kid is the giving up of 30 minutes of free time while confined to school premises. The benefit to each kid is 90 minutes free time at home in the evening. Indeed, any kid who can't absolutely guarantee to get 100% in the test for less than 30 minutes study cannot win. Make sure the teacher gets wind of the strategy too. Better still, make sure the Head gets wind of it!

The kids may end up with low marks for music, but they'll get an A* in cost-benefit analysis :)

And this is why so many kids are lazy as hell. Because their parents are trying to give them a cost-benefit analysis. The cost? Giving up some education. The benefit? Fun times. Yeah, those fun times will serve them well later in life.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They might as well have fun whilst at school.

They're in for a miserable time on Job Seekers Allowance when they leave if they can't find a job.
  • Options
    PorkSausagePorkSausage Posts: 2,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oddly enough, I don't find that necessarily unfair. If he had been told not to eat his lunch until the arranged time, he disobeyed a reasonable request, defying those in authority.

For some reason, when cute little johny "butter wouldn't melt in his mouth" misbehaves, parents never quite tell you the full story.

I suspect the same applies to the music test. My guess it is something like the whole class misbehaved and the teacher said you have detention (for misbehaviour) unless get full marks in the test, in which case you are excused detention.
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marfjam wrote: »
    Irrespective of the rights and wrongs involved, the teacher's strategy should have been completely counter-productive. Next time the teacher tries this trick, advise your son to do no revision whatsoever, but just go out/up/wherever and play. Get the other parents to give the same advice to their kids.

Why? Simple. The cost to each kid is the giving up of 30 minutes of free time while confined to school premises. The benefit to each kid is 90 minutes free time at home in the evening. Indeed, any kid who can't absolutely guarantee to get 100% in the test for less than 30 minutes study cannot win. Make sure the teacher gets wind of the strategy too. Better still, make sure the Head gets wind of it!

The kids may end up with low marks for music, but they'll get an A* in cost-benefit analysis :)

What kind of parent teaches their kids to disrespect authority and refuse to study for an exam?! :eek: I honestly cannot believe what I'm reading in this thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sometimes wonder if I live on a different planet to most posters on DS.

In the real world results MATTER. Studying in itself is meaningless if you don't actually learn. Whether you spend 5 or 90 minutes studying is irrelevant as long as the end result is that you've learned what you've been asked to learn. Knowledge can (and is in the real world) measured by way of tests. Why would you stop a teacher pushing your child to study hard and to actually achieve good results?!

In real life exams matter. The ability to work under pressure is a great skill. Why shouldn't kids be taught this at an early age?
  • Options
    bigpodbigpod Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What on earth is a lunchtime detention. Working through lunchbreak is perfectly acceptable, and probably should be encouraged at times. Hardly a detention.
  • Options
    Nessun DormaNessun Dorma Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bigpod wrote: »
    What on earth is a lunchtime detention. Working through lunchbreak is perfectly acceptable, and probably should be encouraged at times. Hardly a detention.

Perhaps it is because these are children, not adults working for exploitative employers for next to nothing wages.
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He sounds like a rubbish teacher, a good teacher doesn't have to threaten kids with a detention to get good test results. If he taught well, engaged the kids in lessons, most of them would do well without him having to resort to pointless detentions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps it is because these are children, not adults working for exploitative employers for next to nothing wages.

He's 12, not 2!! At that age children are perfectly capable of concentrating and studying for a test (unless they have learning difficulties of course) and should have no reason to fail.

Why are parents on this thread so scared of demanding results from their kids?! A bit of extra studying won't cause their heads to explode.
  • Options
    Sarah.1987Sarah.1987 Posts: 1,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    He's 12, not 2!! At that age children are perfectly capable of concentrating and studying for a test (unless they have learning difficulties of course) and should have no reason to fail.

Why are parents on this thread so scared of demanding results from their kids?! A bit of extra studying won't cause their heads to explode.

A teacher has no right to threaten detention if a child gets a result that's anything other than perfection either.

That's not a healthy lesson to teach kids in the slightest.
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member

children with learning disabilities are perfectly able to study for tests.
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member

In the real world results MATTER. Studying in itself is meaningless if you don't actually learn. Whether you spend 5 or 90 minutes studying is irrelevant as long as the end result is that you've learned what you've been asked to learn. Knowledge can (and is in the real world) measured by way of tests. Why would you stop a teacher pushing your child to study hard and to actually achieve good results?!

In real life exams matter. The ability to work under pressure is a great skill. Why shouldn't kids be taught this at an early age?
    No child should be put under the pressure that only perfect is good enough. No child can excel at everything. They should be taught that doing their best they possibly can is what is required. This teacher has had the kids for a year and should have a handle on which children will do well, which children will try their best but not get the better results and which children don't give a damn. By using the results as the determining factor for detention they are pushing the kids in the middle away from the subject.
  • Options
    Forum Member

A pass level of 100% is ludicrous. Can you not see that? To then punish people for not getting that in a subject they may not be great at is also ludicrous. If the teacher had set detention for a reason other than not attaining 100% eg because they felt there'd been mucking about and not paying attention I'd have no issue with it. It's the fact that only a perfect mark was good enough.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Of course study is important, of course revision and homework are vital for children, no one is disagreeing.
    However not all children are of equal ability and to punish the less able is a huge disincentive which will very quickly lead to resentment and a lack of motivation. The complete opposite of what good teaching is about.
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    difficulties of course) and should have no reason to fail.

If a pupil really tried their hardest, and studied like mad (i think in this case the test was only one or two days away) putting in hours of effort and managed 90% and got given detention, what sort of message does that send out to the future?

And i doubt in many cases it would be revise harder especially if the student had studied for hours over this exam. If it was me id think why bother revising when theres a chance you could get one wrong and still end up in detention.

At school i loved doing gcse exams and studied hard for them as i knew it would affect me, and only me if i did well or not. All throughout year seven to nine i lost count of how many lunchtimes i spent in french detention after getting 1 or 2 out of 20 in french vocab tests! So in that sense it didnt put me off studying for important exams, i just never took to french.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tt88 wrote: »
    If a pupil really tried their hardest, and studied like mad (i think in this case the test was only one or two days away) putting in hours of effort and managed 90% and got given detention, what sort of message does that send out to the future?

And i doubt in many cases it would be revise harder especially if the student had studied for hours over this exam. If it was me id think why bother revising when theres a chance you could get one wrong and still end up in detention.
    That is exactly the message this teacher is sending out isn't it?
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is exactly the message this teacher is sending out isn't it?

It is. I would have real concerns if a teacher is acheiving 100% results.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Funnily enough it takes two. One to teach and one to learn.

But if half of the class didn't learn the content to a satisfactory level.. that suggests a teaching problem.
  • Options
    MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strict is perfectly fine but it should be fair. IMO while the detention won't doo him any harm this teacher has done themself no favours in how the pupils view him/her.

Well we don't know, do we?

The pupils might have finally realised that this teacher means business and if they don't revise, they will get a detention.
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Menk wrote: »
    Well we don't know, do we?

The pupils might have finally realised that this teacher means business and if they don't revise, they will get a detention.

Not as effective as threatening to hit the children, and then actually carrying it out if they fail to score highly enough, is it?:rolleyes:
  • Options
    MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LollyPants wrote: »
    I agree you should respect his wishes in the here and now, and let it lie, but it might be worth raising it with his form tutor at your next parents evening. Just to say that you're concerned that a teacher is demanding perfection from everyone, which isn't reasonable IMHO.

Just out of curiosity, did the test actually involve composition/playing an instrument, or was it more "what note is this?" "Who wrote the Planets Suite?" type stuff?

Yes, I wondered this too.
  • Options
    giz a tabgiz a tab Posts: 975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The one and only point of this thread is that getting less than 100% is not a punishable offence.