Options

Accident while on board a bus

brentfordpetebrentfordpete Posts: 96
Forum Member
Sorry if this is the kind of thing that has been posted before but just wanted a bit of advice really.

My 77 year old mother was on board a bus going home after shopping. Apparently the driver was driving in a bit of a jerky manner and although she was holding onto a pole, the bus jerked heavily and she fell and broke her wrist.
The jerk was so bad, another guy fell on top of her.

The driver just shouted back ' Is she OK' and someone replied ' no she isnt' but the driver just drove off.
There was no report filled out or anything.

She has broken her wrist and was the carer of my disabled father so I have had to take time off work , and will do for the new few weeks until she is better.

Do you think it is worth making a claim for this? usually I am against compo claims but this has affected us badly and the driver just drove away as if nothing had happened so am sure this would be againast company policy.

Comments

• Options
    stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    Yes, make a claim. I would. And go to the local press too.
  • Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    Yes. You should consider contacting the bus company sooner rather than later to make sure any sort of CCTV that may be on the bus has not been recorded over.
  • Options
    mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some buses have signs saying something like 'do not get out of your seat until the bus has stopped'. This is obviously a get-out for when someone tries to claim compensation. However, several times after I have just paid the fare the driver pulls away without giving me a chance to sit down.

Without knowing the full circumstances of the accident, it is impossible to say if compensation could be achieved. Suggest you ask a solicitor or a claims company.
  • Options
    monkinomonkino Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to hear about her injury. Hope she recovers soon!

As for a claim, yes why not. All I would reiterate is that without CCTV footage or evidence from another passenger it may be hard to prove. Also the bus company may blame the guy who fell on your mum for not holding on properly etc. I assume you have no witness details?

Best wishes for a speedy and pain free recovery.
  • Options
    howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    mike1948 wrote: »
    Some buses have signs saying something like 'do not get out of your seat until the bus has stopped'. This is obviously a get-out for when someone tries to claim compensation. However, several times after I have just paid the fare when the driver pulls away without giving me a chance to sit down.

Without knowing the full circumstances of the accident, it is impossible to say if compensation could be achieved. Suggest you ask a solicitor or a claims company.
    And some have the max amount of seats and a certain amount standing.
  • Options
    monkinomonkino Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mike1948 wrote: »
    Some buses have signs saying something like 'do not get out of your seat until the bus has stopped'. This is obviously a get-out for when someone tries to claim compensation. However, several times after I have just paid the fare when the driver pulls away without giving me a chance to sit down.

Signs such as that are helpful but do little to get out of PI claims as they are void under UCTA as you cannot contract out of liability for personal injury. They can be relied upon for evidence of contributory fault / negligence though if they have been ignored.
  • Options
    John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also report it to the police....

Sounds strange as no other vehicle was involved but as is a public service vehicle, any injury on board caused by the driver is a reportable accident under the Road Traffic Act. Obviously the liability to report is on the driver and bus company, not you, but if its not been reported its more ammunition for you. (Edit. Can't find a source for this just now, but pretty sure it's the case)

The same happened to my mum, on a bus, even after advice from many people she just shrugged it off. Her health was never the same afterwards, always suffering from sore joints in the area that she hurt on the bus. This had a huge impact on her mobility.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    How long ago did this happen?

Try to get as many details/witnesses as possible. I'd contact the bus company first, but I'd definitely go down the compensation route since it's caused such a disruption to her and your lives.

Some bus drivers are awful, I was on a bus once and the driver closed the middle doors as an old lady was getting off and she fell and ended up seriously hurt. The driver wouldn't have even noticed if it wasn't for everyone screaming at him.

I hope your mother recovers soon!
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Last year, I was traveling on a bus that did an emergency stop - I think the car in front braked suddenly at the approach to a roundabout - and an elderly lady just slipped out of her seat and onto the floor. I believe she was OK but obviously very shocked.

It reminded me why we have seat belts in cars, especially when traveling at 40mph or more.
  • Options
    hils0912hils0912 Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    The accident should have been reported by law, so ask the company to pull the CCTV and to keep it for reference.

The drive should have taken names and address and checked to see if an ambulance is required (just checked this as hubby is a bus driver). When the driver got back to the depot, an accident report should have been completed, check that this was done!
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From what is said so far, the driver would seem to have been negligent in not stopping to personally check the old lady and to call in first aid for her. As to stopping sharply, this may not be his fault. Someone in front may have braked sharply and he had to respond. Maybe the bus had jerky transmission or fuel injection that causes "jerky" driving.

Certainly, the injury was reportable. But without any witnesses, and the possibility of CCTV evidence (take note that the bus company may well have "deleted" the recording by now, and are is no way obliged to give you a copy without a court order anyway) your chances of a claim now are, I would think, slim.
  • Options
    John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even without a claim, it's very much worth reporting as due to the age, further medical conditions could stem from it. So even if there is a common sense attitude now regarding compensation, there may be a need for it in later life if any condition they get is a direct result of the bus incident.

At least get everything logged,recorded etc to the bus co, the police and possibly the HSE.
  • Options
    Sargeant80Sargeant80 Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently the driver was driving in a bit of a jerky manner - Can you prove it?

the bus jerked heavily - Could that have been caused by avoiding another motorist?

no she isnt' but the driver just drove off - Did that cause additional injury?

another guy fell on top of her. - was it the Bus driver or this person who caused the injury.

she was holding onto a pole - Why was she standing if she is frail.

These are the questions the insurance company will ask if they decide to make an issue of it. Its likely they may offer some goodwill payment to her. Beyond that you need to consider whether it will be worth putting your mum through what could be a difficult experience.
  • Options
    simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, make a claim. I would. And go to the local press too.

Jeez. Why not find out where the driver lives and start a petition to get him kicked out of the neighbourhood for 'assaulting an OAP'?
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    where there is blame there is a claim
  • Options
    brentfordpetebrentfordpete Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    hi all
    Thanks for your replies and comments.

OT make matters worse, my mum got a torn disc into the bargain ( slipped disc) and needs physio , and also I have had to take unpaid leave so think I will pursue something as we are out of pocket.

Luckily mum is in fairly good spirits but these things do put your life out of kilter a bit.

Thnaks again , and hope all those who had similar incidients are all Ok now..
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    where there is blame there is a claim

If you can find the person to blame. If the bus driver had to brake sharply because of another road user being negligent, you'd have to trace who that was.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely make a claim.
  • Options
    fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I assume from your username that you are from Brentford? If so, did the accident happen on a London bus service?

If it did, the bus will certainly be fitted with CCTV inside and out, and will have captured the accident - however, the CCTV self over-writes after 7 to 10 days so it is really important that you contact the bus operating company at your earliest opportunity. They will need to know the route number of the bus, the direction of travel, where the incident happened and any other info you can give (description of the driver, registration number of the bus, where your mum boarded, where she got off etc etc - it all helps track down the driver if he/she hasn't reported the incident)

In addition, many bus companies have systems fitted which essentially record telemetry information (G-Forces, harsh braking, jerky driving etc) and that information is recorded against the driver - this helps when investigating the accident etc.

I work for a London bus operator (prefer not to disclose which on a public forum), so if you are unsure which one operates the route number your mum was travelling on, or need contact information for any of the bus operators, please feel free to PM me and I will help any way I can.

Rest assured that good bus operators will do everything they can to ensure that your mum is looked after, and that steps are taken to prevent a similar accident happening again.