Options

What do you think caused Christina Aguilera's downfall?

Comments

• Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I'm alone in being a fan of both Bionic AND Lotus?!
  • Options
    Shez_PalmerShez_Palmer Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    She was in her prime, especially during the Stripped era. She wasn't exactly a massive superstar following the release of her debt, if anyone remembers? Times have changed, so has the way of music. Whilst neither of her 2 newest releases were "terrible," people are more likely to pick a few of their fave songs from the albums and download them for free rather than just buy the whole album - this is what happens and this is why even the biggest of artists are not selling the millions they used to, back in the day.

Personally, I thought "Not Myself Tonight" and "Your Body" were great singles, I just felt the rest of the album tracks were lacklustre. Too many new "relevant" artists stealing the crown.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    shelleyj89 wrote: »

There are great tracks on both albums especially on Bionic! As someone else has already said the Bionic ballads are really brilliant, You Lost Me & Lift Me Up are among her best work. I still think Woohoo was full of potential had it received an official release, Not Myself Tonight was such a terrible choice for lead single!

The Lotus Intro is another gem, her vocals at 2:30 are just flawless. Your Body deserved to be a huge hit & Circles screams vintage Xtina!
  • Options
    Shez_PalmerShez_Palmer Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    aphippo wrote: »
    There are great tracks on both albums especially on Bionic! As someone else has already said the Bionic ballads are really brilliant, You Lost Me & Lift Me Up are among her best work. I still think Woohoo was full of potential had it received an official release, Not Myself Tonight was such a terrible choice for lead single!

The Lotus Intro is another gem, her vocals at 2:30 are just flawless. Your Body deserved to be a huge hit & Circles screams vintage Xtina!

I agree about "Your Body" - I couldn't stop playing it when it came out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Bionic, so many great tracks, especially the ballads and more experimental electronic tracks. I think a big problem was that the album was too long, if it had of been shortened to just 12 tracks with the filler cut out, I think a lot more people would enjoy the album. Lotus however... I liked it for the first week then got bored of it. It was just too safe, I prefer the Christina with attitude. Also I find a lot of songs very samey, all about loving yourself, being happy etc.

I only recently bought Stripped from a charity shop, and wow it is flawless. I don't think she'll ever top this album/look/era but I think she can come close if her label don't worry about success and sales.
  • Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    I honestly think the huge gap that she took between releasing Stripped and Back to Basics didn't help either. Stripped was a great album but by the time Back to Basics came out it was good to see hype surrounding her return but apart from Candyman which wasn't all that big, it wasn't seen as that much of a success. Yes, Stripped had many songs and yes, Back to Basics was double-disc but she shouldn't have left it that long, especially considering her contemporaries (like Pink and possibly Britney?) had released two more albums during her absence.
  • Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    She was in her prime, especially during the Stripped era. She wasn't exactly a massive superstar following the release of her debt, if anyone remembers? Times have changed, so has the way of music. Whilst neither of her 2 newest releases were "terrible," people are more likely to pick a few of their fave songs from the albums and download them for free rather than just buy the whole album - this is what happens and this is why even the biggest of artists are not selling the millions they used to, back in the day.

Personally, I thought "Not Myself Tonight" and "Your Body" were great singles, I just felt the rest of the album tracks were lacklustre. Too many new "relevant" artists stealing the crown.

I disagree with this. She was pretty massive, not past Britney who was leading them all that time, but definitely higher than Mandy Moore and Jessica Simpson and was up there during that era with N-Sync too. I think people started to sit up when she stole the show in Lady Marmalade and really proved that she was more credible than Britney when she released Stripped.
  • Options
    _BollyKnickers__BollyKnickers_ Posts: 4,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The production in Lotus was abominable. You can barely hear what she's singing for the changes in volume and crackling. I was a big fan and will continue to listen to her earlier material, but as far as the future goes, I'm done.
  • Options
    GlassBalloonGlassBalloon Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christina was in a position where she could whatever she liked with a voice like hers. And she knew that, took as long as she liked in between albums, reinventing herself between each one, still successful. Problem is she took far too long with Bionic. Dhe might have been ahead of the game when she started hyping it, but she released it post-Gaga, a market saturated with electropop. Perez's attack couldn't have come at a worse time. She was already losing her voice, her looks and her popularity, Bionic failing just made her a laughing stock. Its quite a sad decline really.

Christina nor her team never really did any damage control either. She always had a reputation as a bitch, she couldve redeemed herself with Lotus but did nothing with it, so of course it flopped. I actually can see the similarities between Stripped and Lotus, I think it probably is the Stripped 2 she'd been promising, but she didn't want to promote it so the inevitable was inevitable.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    I've tried to listen to Lotus a number of times and I can't get through it. Love the album title, but I really don't like the album.

Bionic on the other hand is an album that I listen to quite a lot. There are some good songs and I listen to it a lot in the summer. My favourites tracks from Bionic include

Bionic
    Monday Morning
    Birds Of Prey
    Elastic Love

you forgot Sex For Breakfast
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she jumped on the dance/electronic bandwagon when she didnt need to..
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ugh. Losing her voice and looks around Bionic? Bull. Jumping on the electro pop wagon? More bull. Bionic was in the works before Gaga came on the scene..plus I actually hear no similarities. Perez was licking Gaga's hole at the time and used Christina as a target. He's beyond words.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bionic for me is my favourite album from her! I love Christina!! But I do think the gaps between the albums was the main factor!Your Body, just wasnt good enough either for a comeback single
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the person who said she was losing her voice around Bionic.
    http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/watch?v=zAp-J9_k0vM
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think part of the reason Bionic also flopped was her overhype. She had talked up her electronic album for about 3 years. We had Ladytron listed as producers yet only one of their tracks made the album and it was on the deluxe only. So when Not Myself Tonight came I think a lot of people were just left wondering what on earth she had been talking about as it wasn't electro at all. Just the standard pop/dance fuze that became big around that time.

Little Dreamer is probably the one song that captured the electro vibe pretty well but it never made the final cut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhK9XghVw8g
  • Options
    MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,688
    Forum Member
    Was she ever that great?! She has a good voice, but apart from Stripped which was a really good pop album, she's came out with nothing worth writing home about.

This.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/watch?v=nrhiDvBfoik

I have to post this too, for the person who said she was losing her voice circa Bionic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shelleyj89 wrote: »

no you`re not :) i love both too. although for me Bionic is the better produced record, whilst i do find Lotus extremely rushed,
  • Options
    ali1234ali1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact she isn't a very nice person behind the scenes I reckon hasn't helped her. The Wanted, Pink, Scott Scorch and Mary J Blige have all openly spoke out about what she is like. Mary J Blige never talks bad about anyone, so the fact she spoke out bad about her says a lot. She is a bitchy, self centred and arrogant lady by the sounds of it. She isn't approachable. If i saw her in the street, i wouldn't dare ask for an autograph, because of it.

Agreed. She sounds like a cold person, to me.
    Also when she duetted with Rebecca ferguson on the X factor she came across quite stiff and not human-like. Pink should have had the central role in lady marmalade :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    That_Guy wrote: »
    http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/watch?v=nrhiDvBfoik

I have to post this too, for the person who said she was losing her voice circa Bionic.

That performance was one of her strongest vocal performances! I don't understand those who say she's lost her voice, she may have lost some of her range & you get the odd off note but I've never seen a bad performance from her!

http://youtu.be/CQvHskuTFWY

This performance was well after Bionic and she again puts in a solid vocal!
  • Options
    Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damn I totally forgot about this it was AWFUL and still is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RER94lCnHYE
  • Options
    sparkle22sparkle22 Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the way she has sung hasn't been great I'm not a singing teacher but every note is a belt eventually the voice will pack up though I still think she sounds great.
    There are rumours to suggest she had some kind of drink problem don't know if it's true I would love to see a proper comeback but that would mean her going on every radio station & tv show in the uk which I doubt she will do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aphippo wrote: »
    That performance was one of her strongest vocal performances! I don't understand those who say she's lost her voice, she may have lost some of her range & you get the odd off note but I've never seen a bad performance from her!

http://youtu.be/CQvHskuTFWY

This performance was well after Bionic and she again puts in a solid vocal!
    Bound to You is no easy song to sing either. It floors me. I honestly think her vocals are at their best on Burlesque.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luner13 wrote: »
    Damn I totally forgot about this it was AWFUL and still is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RER94lCnHYE
    Irreverent. 10 years ago, before any apparent decline.
  • Options
    Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Irreverent. 10 years ago, before any apparent decline.

:confused: I never in any way said it was part of the decline I just think the song is awful.