Options

Gay teacher resigns from school after parents object.....

Comments

• Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jesaya wrote: »
    I have a short list of books I read as a child that made me think very hard as well - BNW for sure... To Kill A Mockingbird; Tobacco Road, Middlemarch, The Grapes of Wrath, Bleak House, Gone with the Wind, The Brothers Karamazov, A Passage to India, The Magic Mountain, 1984 and my very favourite, Jane Eyre. They were all great stories but the messages they carried have stayed with me!

To Kill A Mockingbird is probably my all time #1. I made my kids read it when they were young. I read Crime and Punishment, but found it hard going. I've never read Tobacco Road, is it good for an adult read?
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    designer84 wrote: »
    Why would it be bad to invite people? what people shouldn't be going?

Who knows, that's hardly the point.

If you are using a book as basis for discussion then have honest discussion. It's done in schools everyday and children are asked to take part in arguing for one side against the other.
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    To Kill A Mockingbird is probably my all time #1. I made my kids read it when they were young. I read Crime and Punishment, but found it hard going. I've never read Tobacco Road, is it good for an adult read?

Tobacco road is 'of its time' - very depressing read about poverty in the Southern states. I'd have a couple of glasses of wine with it.
  • Options
    designer84designer84 Posts: 12,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who knows, that's hardly the point.

If you are using a book as basis for discussion then have honest discussion. It's done in schools everyday and children are asked to take part in arguing for one side against the other.

Do you even know what you are on about? Why ask the question if you can't even answer it yourself? Seems rather bizarre... If that comment entered your head then surely you have an idea of the people you wouldn't invite? Care to discuss?...
  • Options
    grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When parents are intolerant they should be engaged with and told their behaviour us unacceptable. The school should answer complaints and try to reach a compromise but should back up the teacher where an intolerant group seeks to hound them out.

Which would be all well and good until you came out with yet more of the cobblers that seems to characterise your contribution to this thread.
    What I object to is the assumption that any one who criticises a teacher is intolerant. I see plenty of room here where thus particular teacher may have courted controversy. I think it could be either/or in this situation as outlined so far. Ie some bigots and an intolerant teacher unwilling to listen to criticism and tone done the rhetoric.

It seems you're seeing what you're wanting to see, not to mention being guilty of exactly the sort of intolerance you're accusing this teacher of.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Silver Sword by Ian Serraillier always springs to mind, when I think of children's books which had a big impact on me.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you tell me the part of that which would stop a child enjoying the book?

The part where the child gets sick of week after week of moralising and begins to associate reading with it.
  • Options
    imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
    Forum Member
    How it is taught? He taught to the guidelines of the curriculum. He did it exactly as he was supposed to, otherwise the school and Ofsted would have had an issue with his teaching methods.

NOTE "THEIR BELIEFS"... It's nothing to do with the parents, it's the children. Further proof that parents enforce their own beliefs on their kids... I'd call that indoctrination

Why do you have an issue with equality being taught in schools? Why is it wrong to teach that being gay is ok?

Are you trying to tell parents how to bring up their children? What do you mean it's nothing to do with the parents? It's everything to do with the parents!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    imrightok wrote: »
    Are you trying to tell parents how to bring up their children? What do you mean it's nothing to do with the parents? It's everything to do with the parents!

Are you trying to put words in my mouth? How about answering my question? WHat is your issue with gay people? We are still waiting to know...

You've had long enough to answer it.

actually the curriculum is the responsibility of the School, Ofsted and the Education Minister. The teacher stuck to the guidelines so there has been nothing worth complaining about and the parents shouldn't have been entertained. But I bet if it was people complaining about religion, you would be making a thread about it wouldn't you?

Don't forget to answer my question....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The part where the child gets sick of week after week of moralising and begins to associate reading with it.

Oh so you took the class then? I assume that's the case as you appear to be speaking for the children now
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably better to actually find out what that context may have been rather than make insinuations on a message board based on sweet FA.

Children created a poster on a subject which, to me, would seem unusual without being prompted to do so. What's the insinuation?
    The subject is set but the messages vary. Think back to when you were at school and the projects where you made posters and the like. Not everyone did the same thing. Everyone takes something slightly different from the text but ultimately it's a positive one

I can hardly remember what I learned that far back (around forty years).

All I seem to remember around that time is playing football & cricket, running around the playing fields and acting out scenes from Doctor Who, as a Dalek.

Also we started learning the rudiments of the French language "Poussez le bouton, sil vous plait" on the old magneto phone and parroting "Un, deux, trois ..".

Writing stories, one based on the Kon Tiki expedition, and doing mathematics of some kind.

But anything else is a distant blur.
  • Options
    imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
    Forum Member
    The thing is we have no idea what the circumstances are. Was it part of a project? Were there other posters bearing other messages? I simply don't know, so I have to go with what was reported, there was a poster there, and it had that message, anything after that is jumping to conclusions.

I think a good defence for the teacher would have been' there were other posters as well as one that said" gay is good" ' but that wasn't said, probably because there weren't any other posters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    The Silver Sword by Ian Serraillier always springs to mind, when I think of children's books which had a big impact on me.

I'll have to check it out. :)

I think there's always that one book you remb that changed your life. The joy of reading isn't something taught, but a good teacher inspires you to keep reading until you find that one book that brings the joy to life. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think a good defence for the teacher would have been' there were other posters as well as one that said" gay is good" ' but that wasn't said, probably because there weren't any other posters.

But why is it a problem to have one sole poster with "Gay is good" on it? Are you just upset that it didn't say "religious cult is good"?
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What on earth good would that do? You might discuss why some people thought it bad as part of the discussion and there is nothing in that lesson plan to say you should not. The Ofsted requirement is to teach about inclusion and why that is a good thing... and that is what the lesson plan does.
    It gives them a reasoned response for favouring inclusion rather than an obedient unreasoning one that they don't have the tools to argue for when they are challenged.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Children created a poster on a subject which, to me, would seem unusual without being prompted to do so. What's the insinuation?

You tell me - it's your comment. What exactly is it that you're suggesting?
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You tell me - it's your comment. What exactly is it that you're suggesting?

That it was part of planned work, not something created off the bat by children using their imaginations. Unless children have changed that much over the decades.

We were still singing "Jesus wants me for a sunbeam", without really knowing why, in assemblies at that age.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It gives them a reasoned response for favouring inclusion rather than an obedient unreasoning one that they don't have the tools to argue for when they are challenged.

How on earth do you think these issues are presented to children?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Show me that's true, and that it's in any way sinister. Show me it wasn't the children's opinion.

Oh and why exactly does he need a defence?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That it was part of planned work, not something created off the bat by children using their imaginations. Unless children have changed that much over the decades.

And that's based on...?

There are other possibilities - that the kids in question have a family friend or relative who's gay, that they're aware of what that means and they made something specific because of that connection because it seemed relevant to what their school was teaching regarding diversity?

I mean - one assumption's just as good as another, eh?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Might as well string up the kids then. They've obviously been got by 'the gay'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

We were still singing "Jesus wants me for a sunbeam", without really knowing why, in assemblies at that age.

But how do you know their imagination wasn't being used? There was one poster mentioned but I suspect there would have been many in class. You have the planned work set by the curriculum guidelines and you work out from there. If it was making posters then the kids would have been left to their own devices to create something no doubt. That is what we did at school. Who is to say they didn't have a vote or something between them to decide which was the best one? The teacher didn't have to be involved in that. Then that poster could have been used to show others.

All I see is a select few making up reasons to attack the teacher. Just a load of sensationalist comments
  • Options
    MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,688
    Forum Member
    Urgh some people!!
  • Options
    Forum Member

Three weeks in a year, for one lesson each time. That's about 90 minutes a year.

Children are remarkable - they want to read books and talk about them - they enjoy sharing their views... that's why literacy lessons are perfect to bring out their views and discuss why it is a good thing to be inclusive and supportive of others.
  • Options
    Forum Member

One point of the books used is to bring out how other people might think inclusion is bad - in some there are characters who are not included and how sad that makes them. There are characters who are not being inclusive - they can be discussed too... as can the characters who support the protagonist. The idea is to get the children to discuss and discover why it is a good thing to be inclusive. I should have thought anyone who read the lesson plans would get this.