Superhub 30Mb needs regular reboot

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    KennyT wrote: »
    So, what situation causes a wireless laptop to be able to see the router and other devices on the home network, but not to be able to see the internet, when other PCs can?
    Got to be yet another Superhub quirk. I've had a situation once where I couldn't connect to the main SSID yet the guest one was working. The firmware is a real can of worms. Unless they are completely rewriting it (and given the time they're taking they maybe are) then I don't see a few quick revisions making it fit for purpose. I will try is as a hub when R27 comes out but I suspect I'll be giving up on it as a router and just using it as an oversized modem.
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're sending out a replacement hub for me, but it sounds as though it's going to be "more of the same"...We'll see.

K
  • acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got up this morning and my router had done a factory reset overnight, took me ages digging out the bloody thing from behind the sofa as i couldn't connect to the wifi as i didn't know the password as it had changed.

I am running R26, the thing is rubbish!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're sending out a replacement hub for me, but it sounds as though it's going to be "more of the same"...We'll see.

K
    Replaced the hub yesterday and...

needed a reboot this morning :(

Back to the VM forum,,,

K
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Replaced the hub yesterday and...

needed a reboot this morning :(

Back to the VM forum,,,

K

If you're only getting this over wireless, download netstumbler and see what channel other people are using. Go into your router settings and see what yours is set to. If it's the same, then that will be a lot of the problem, so change it to a different channel and see how you go.

Although I'm not with VM now, when I was I had a lot of wireless connection problems. Tech support were no use whatsoever so I did my own investigations and discovered that everyone in the neighbourhood was running on channel 11 and guess what mine was set to..... :rolleyes: Changed it to channel 5 and it worked perfectly from then on. :)

How to
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're only getting this over wireless, download netstumbler and see what channel other people are using. Go into your router settings and see what yours is set to. If it's the same, then that will be a lot of the problem, so change it to a different channel and see how you go.

Although I'm not with VM now, when I was I had a lot of wireless connection problems. Tech support were no use whatsoever so I did my own investigations and discovered that everyone in the neighbourhood was running on channel 11 and guess what mine was set to..... :rolleyes: Changed it to channel 5 and it worked perfectly from then on. :)

How to
    Thanks. I was already using a different channel (neighbours are on 1 and 7, I'm using "8+4").

K
  • mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    How did this Super DUD, pass QC?

i cant even stream a 1080p music video on youtube at 2am without it needing to buffer 20seconds in!
  • acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikey86uk wrote: »
    How did this Super DUD, pass QC?

No such thing any more, me thinks it was always a myth!
    Forum Member
    QC with lots of kit just involves the process of sticking a QC label on the thing.

I bought an IP camera which was missing all the screws holding the base on. When I fixed it in the supplied bracket upside down it dropped off. Luckily I caught it. There was a little round QC label over one of the empty screw holes.

It isn't only VM that screw up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just tried the advice here:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1492398

I'll report back with any results...

K
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, changing those settings haven't helped my situation. The reboot frequency seems to be between 11-14 hours:

Fri: 0805
    Fri: 1935
    Sat: 0905
    Sat: 2005 (approx)
    Sun: 0925

K
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting coincidence (or is it!?!?!?).

The hub hadn't needed rebooting since 0925 yesterday (so it had lasted over 30 hours), but as soon as my son (wired) and wife (wireless) came home and tried to connect, it died!

K
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting situation this morning. The wireless connection was dead but the wired was OK. So, I thought, good opportunity to phone the fault line and get them to check it out. As part of the process, the engineer did a remote "Logmein" session so he could see what was going on. He was able to connect to the wired machine and take it over, but...

He couldn't connect to 192.168.0.1!!!! (connection timed out)

Daft, I call it!

K
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting situation this morning. The wireless connection was dead but the wired was OK. So, I thought, good opportunity to phone the fault line and get them to check it out. As part of the process, the engineer did a remote "Logmein" session so he could see what was going on. He was able to connect to the wired machine and take it over, but...

He couldn't connect to 192.168.0.1!!!! (connection timed out)

Daft, I call it!

K
    What was the outcome of the call then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reset the box and call again when it fails again! Engineer claimed that, even if the wired connection was failing to connect to the web, it should be possible to get to 192.168.0.1 via wire to check the power levels, but given the above, I somehow doubt it!

K
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reset the box and call again when it fails again! Engineer claimed that, even if the wired connection was failing to connect to the web, it should be possible to get to 192.168.0.1 via wire to check the power levels, but given the above, I somehow doubt it!

K
    It is a duff device and needs replacing as it will continue to fail.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petey286 wrote: »
    It is a duff device and needs replacing as it will continue to fail.
    I'm already on my second unit. If it gets to be a more frequent problem, I'll ask for another one. Instinct (based on other people's experiences posted here and elsewhere) says it might be worth waiting for the next firmware update, then deciding what to do...

K
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I don't know what VM have done, but my connection has been up for over 4 days now!

:)

K
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine has been up for 52 days 00h:31m:58s:eek::p:)
  • fletchemfletchem Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got another one coming in the post - finally got @rsed off with it constantly dropping my NAS.

I think the issues are related to the number/type of devices attached to it. My unit started acting up (even more so) when I bought a Wii. All the problems seem to arise from multiple devices being connected.

At the most we have 2 android phones, a PS3, a Wii and a netbook attached.

The first thing my installer said was to take the security settings off auto - maybe I will give it a try with the new unit.
    Forum Member
    A lot of the problems with the Superhub come from trying to use the wireless at 300Mbps where it has to bond two WiFi channels. I found mine didn't screw up so often if it was limited to 145Mbps mode. Setting it to anything other than WPA2 AES will limit it to 145Mbps and may be why the installer had noticed a difference. Of course it could also be yet another firmware bug.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    The so called super-hub has problems.

Mine requires a weekly reboot.

The MAC address and port forwarding tables to not clear as they should.

Also the cable interface struggles to resynchronise unless the box rebooted.

Virgin need to replace this box with something that does the job.

Brian

• omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which version do you have? The original Superhub got poor reviews and was widely criticised, but the Superhub2 is a big improvement.