You have been watching - Charlie Brooker

Comments

• batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was it just me or did the fight scene in the car park, between the IRA and the Taliban remind anyone else of an A-Team fight sequence? :D:D

I was half expecting the cars to roll over over-dramtically, and Face to be there! :D:D
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Hate Hound but that IRA joke made me LOL
    Got to give him credit there. He did have a couple of good lines in the show. Didn't think much of the other two.

well... I did think something about another pair:D

greencat wrote: »
    Why didn't Harry Hill find this first.

The IRA vs Taliban. Which is beter? Theirs only one way to find out. Fight!
    Great :D

I've seen two classics clips this week. Deadliest Warrior and Zuiikin' English
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very disappointed, i've really enjoyed Charlie Brookers stuff but it seems to be just a bad C4 quiz format, i really didn't like the audience laughter, i don't know why, it just felt out of place.

I think the problem is that Brooker should be the main part of the programme but instead is hidden behind D-list celebrities trying to be 'wacky' (him and the celebrities). Can't wait till the next Screenwipe/Newswipe, i think Charlie Brooker would be an ideal candidate for a UK style Daily Show or maybe bring back The Late Edition?!
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was too long, usually these shows would be just 30 minutes rather than 45-50. I laughed a lot, particularly the whole IRA vs Taliban thing and Brooker came out with some good lines. But as a format, it seemed a bit disjointed. Almost like they had tried to make Screenwipe a panel show. But they hadn't really done that, it seemed odd just having the 3 individuals rather than teams. Jamelia is funny for a popstar... but that's it. The reason I find Mock The Week to be the best of any of these shows by a mile is in no small part linked to the fact that the panelists are nearly all professional comedians and not D Listers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was chronic, felt like CB had sold out. Exactly the type of thing he would rip to bits on screen wipe. Tacky set, canned laughter and pathetic guests, come on Charlie get out of it quickly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this would get criticised.

People seem to like a nice clean format so they know what to expect.

This wasn't that, but I still thought it was good, and laughed quite a few times.

Admittedly there was an awkwardness to it because of the format, but it was pretty entertaining.

I think Jamelia, as much as I like her, was not a good choice of guest. If they have people like David Mitchell lined up though as another poster said, it should be good.

The autocue stuff sending up The One Show really reminded me of Charlies's TV Go Home website (as in the descriptions of the programmes).

Who cares if it's a bit dis-jointed and doesn't have a clear format, if it's funny? With a bit of fine tuning as the series goes on it could be a big hit.
  • mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    Loop147 wrote: »
    It was chronic, felt like CB had sold out. Exactly the type of thing he would rip to bits on screen wipe. Tacky set, canned laughter and pathetic guests, come on Charlie get out of it quickly.

I have to agree with you here. I actually turned over after the first break as I was cringeing. I can't stand Rufus Hound but I was willing to tolerate him in order to watch CB; unfortunately it was just too awful. It was just the sort of crap I associate with Hound but not Brooker. Makes me sad.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it - loved The One Show and Come Dine With Me stuff - I want to see that US fight show :D:)
    Jamelia is hot :eek: ! :D
    Didnt Edison invent the lightbulb?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed it but I think it could have done away with the "quiz" element and just been a discussion show on television. The quiz aspect wasn't important and, sometimes, seemed to have been forgotten about completely.
    Forum Member
    I agree with you. I would have preferred more discussion, less quiz but the autocue part was funny and I still enjoyed the show :)
    I hope BBC4 show Screenwipe/Newswipe again.
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I enjoyed it - loved The One Show and Come Dine With Me stuff - I want to see that US fight show :D:)
    Didnt Edison invent the lightbulb?
    Me too, but thought it was a bit disingenuous to complain about Adrian Chiles looking plain. Brooker himself is not exactly...a looker.
    Forum Member
    I agree with that. Also The One Show is a lighthearted (usually) magazine type show so its normal it has a mix of items.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    Me too, but thought it was a bit disingenuous to complain about Adrian Chiles looking plain. Brooker himself is not exactly...a looker.

A random survey of women I met on a writing course suggests Charlie is Thinking Woman's Tottie.

I thought this was great, very funny. I think roughly speaking YHBW is to a quiz show what The Kumars is to a chat show.

I watched it to be entertained, and I was - even by Jamelia.
  • WoddyWoddy Posts: 1,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed the show, it will probably take a bit of time to get used to but i can't complain.

Like others i too was suprised how beautiful Jamelia is , i wonder how i never noticed her before.... :cool:

Taliban vs IRA was really funny, how the hell did the IRA win i'll never know :D
    Forum Member
    The Ultimate Warrior show (IRA v Taliban) was really funny :D
  • Blake ConnollyBlake Connolly Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    Enjoyed it, but particularly the IRA v Taliban bit, that was just jaw-dropping!

Good to finally see Herring's toothbrush 'tash in action as well, been hearing about it for ages.

I'll still be watching the rest of the series (trying to get tickets for a recording too) but it's not the best thing Brooker's ever done by a long way.

Looking forward to more Screenwipe/Newswipe/Gameswipe.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loop147 wrote: »
    Having watched some ofit, that was also my impression. Some throwbacks to Screenwipe, but all warpped up in a tacky format with tacky stage sets.

A very, very poor relation to Screenwipe/Newswipe I think, and something that CB should step away from.
  • Toby LatimerToby Latimer Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More Norton format than CB imo . Not a patch on Screen/Newswipe .
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it, but why oh why does Jamelia turn up on EVERY gameshow these days. She can barely string a sentence together and just giggles inanely. Very tiresome. I cant believe she said she turned down a slot on the 'The One Show'. Blimey - thats a first. She has been on everything else, and hasnt struck me as the choosy sort before now.

And whats with all the 'rack' comments ? Is it a new trendy word or something ?

But the show itself was enjoyable. I'll be tuning in next week, and with any luck - Jamelia wont be on it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    A random survey of women I met on a writing course suggests Charlie is Thinking Woman's Tottie.

I thought this was great, very funny. I think roughly speaking YHBW is to a quiz show what The Kumars is to a chat show.

I watched it to be entertained, and I was - even by Jamelia.

I believe that's a euphemism for ugly.
  • Mr MertonMr Merton Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    Porcupine wrote: »
    And whats with all the 'rack' comments ? Is it a new trendy word or something ?
    I thought that it was a reference to I-Raq (US pronunciation) at first :D

Actually I have heard the term used before (for female breasts, presumably) in the past; someone somewhere may have recently made this slang expression 'trendy', so to speak. (My money is on someone like Chris Moyles of whom I don't listen to currently.)
    Porcupine wrote: »
    But the show itself was enjoyable. I'll be tuning in next week, and with any luck - Jamelia wont be on it.
    I really enjoyed this show to be honest, with the IRA versus Taliban being the highlight (although I couldn't watch a whole programme based on constructing fictitious fight sequences). And it's great to have a quiz show that isn't necessarily based on conflict (apart from the fight scenes, ha ha), which in some ways is reminiscent of Have I Got News For You in that the final scores really don't matter that much in the end.

Surprisingly Rufus Hound turned out to be the best panelist since he's normally very irritating - although that could just be a byproduct of who normally writes his scripts - and Jamelia was a useful contrast personality-wise. And it was Charlie Brooker that was defending Adrian Chiles against the 'taunts' being made by Richard Herring (from memory).
  • Object ZObject Z Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Didnt Edison invent the lightbulb?[/QUOTE]

The first electric light was made in 1800 by Humphry Davy, an English scientist. He experimented with electricity and invented an electric battery. When he connected wires to his battery and a piece of carbon, the carbon glowed, producing light. This is called an electric arc.
    Much later, in 1860, the English physicist Sir Joseph Wilson Swan (1828-1914) was determined to devise a practical, long-lasting electric light. He found that a carbon paper filament worked well, but burned up quickly. In 1878, he demonstrated his new electric lamps in Newcastle, England.

In 1877, the American Charles Francis Brush manufactured some carbon arcs to light a public square in Cleveland, Ohio, USA. These arcs were used on a few streets, in a few large office buildings, and even some stores. Electric lights were only used by a few people.

The inventor Thomas Alva Edison (in the USA) experimented with thousands of different filaments to find just the right materials to glow well and be long-lasting. In 1879, Edison discovered that a carbon filament in an oxygen-free bulb glowed but did not burn up for 40 hours. Edison eventually produced a bulb that could glow for over 1500 hours.

Lewis Howard Latimer (1848-1928) improved the bulb by inventing a carbon filament (patented in 1881); Latimer was a member of Edison's research team, which was called "Edison's Pioneers." In 1882, Latimer developed and patented a method of manufacturing his carbon filaments.

In 1903, Willis R. Whitney invented a treatment for the filament so that it wouldn't darken the inside of the bulb as it glowed. In 1910, William David Coolidge (1873-1975) invented a tungsten filament which lasted even longer than the older filaments. The incandescent bulb revolutionized the world.
  • milkybarnickmilkybarnick Posts: 605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More Norton format than CB imo . Not a patch on Screen/Newswipe .

It's like a diluted Screenwipe with yer celebrity punters in there to stretch things out. Shoot me down if I'm wrong, but I think it's more a Channel 4 programme done like that -
    the Screenwipe/Newswipe format seems more at home on BBC4.

It's noticeable though that the Screenwipe-y bits are the funniest sections of the show.

Good luck to CB with it - he may broaden his audience somewhat.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnCee wrote: »
    I believe that's a euphemism for ugly.

Believe me, it's not. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Show was reasonable compared to his other programmes, but this one feels padded and the audio sounds like it was done on a low budget.