Options

Would a cheap house put you off?

13»

Comments

• Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,651
    Forum Member
    It looks like the perfect house. Good luck with selling it.
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 50,155
    Forum Member
    No not really, that Homes Under The Hammer programme has shown how any home can be fixed up.

What I would take into account though is the condition and neighbourhood, that would affect my choice as would how far away from my family be. Ideally I'd love to stay in my home town, but I am thinking it may be smarter to buy somewhere cheaper one day if I'm in a position to buy or even rent somehwhere cheaper.
  • Options
    SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice house nothing the matter with that at all.

Are you sure you are not a estate agent? :D

I'd buy it in a heartbeat if I wanted to live in the North East and I liked the area and it passed a structual survey.

Don't despair but maybe once your contract with the estate agent is up - change them!
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    That floor plan makes the house seem far bigger than it looks from the outside. How do you fit it all in with the sloping roof? Is it extended at the back?

Anyway, its probably me not being used to northern prices, but that house for the price your asking seems an absolute bargain
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    That floor plan makes the house seem far bigger than it looks from the outside. How do you fit it all in with the sloping roof? Is it extended at the back?

Its hard to explain but I will try my best.. the roof slopes into the upper bedrooms, you can just about see it a bit in the bedroom pic, the ceiling kind of slopes.
  • Options
    alias aliasalias alias Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    The front looks a bit dull and tatty maybe 2 big pots at the front door, some ever greens and a side gate to hide that tank? and air con? and is there a house number?

It's defiantly a lot bigger on the inside than it looks, i started thinking it was a 1 bedroom, the living room looks a bit narrow not much you can do about that, smaller table maybe. the big bedroom mirror looks odd to me to big for the room or like a mirrored ceiling lol.

It should sell for that price, defiantly get the front photo updated with a nice summer photo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sentenza wrote: »

Are you sure you are not a estate agent? :D

No I work in catering, but I wish I had the estate agents paycheck when they sell a house :o
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She Devil wrote: »
    Its hard to explain but I will try my best.. the roof slopes into the upper bedrooms, you can just about see it a bit in the bedroom pic, the ceiling kind of slopes.
    Hi,

Could you not consider a house auction as David suggested?

It is a very quick way of selling a property.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    seacam wrote: »
    Hi,

Could you not consider a house auction as David suggested?

It is a very quick way of selling a property.

I will look into it more, we still have to pay the mortgage off, not sure if I could sell it at auction unless the mortgage is paid, I might be wrong though I think I read it on here somewhere.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its classed as a chalet bungalow but has stairs if that makes sense?

OK. The chalet bungalows round here tend to have dormers (windows through the roof rather than the gable ends).

Presumably the main estate agent picture shows a different angle? Unless that style is common round there, other people might also dismiss it as a bungalow at first glance.

Otherwise, £115K for a 3-bed detached house sounds good...
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Photos look excellent.

Whats the location?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will look into it more, we still have to pay the mortgage off, not sure if I could sell it at auction unless the mortgage is paid, I might be wrong though I think I read it on here somewhere.
    It is possible but long winded so no, auction is out of the question.

Is your property details linked some where on this thread, I gather other members have been able to view it. ?
  • Options
    subversivesubversive Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The properties that sold have nothing that ours doesnt have, all have off road parking, three beds, 2 bath, detached etc. The only difference I can see is that our has a shower we had it put in soon after moving in.

The streets are pretty much the same really, ours is at the end of a cul de sac.

We are up with the same agent as the houses that sold already.

Think the next step would be an open day or something like somebody suggested.

If we didnt need to move away I wouldnt really have minded the lack of viewers, its just we have a time limit then I have no idea what will happen. Think the fact we need to move is making it all seem worse than it is.

Just wondering, those other houses you said that have sold. Do they look exactly like your property?, i.e. you said yours is like a bungalow type with stairs...etc..

or are they proper two story houses with a roof???
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    No I work in catering, but I wish I had the estate agents paycheck when they sell a house :o

Really? I'll show you some of mine, plus the hours put in driving a sale through and you might be surprised at how 'big' an actual commission works out for the person selling the house - if I charged by the hour I'd be a far richer woman ;)

At a quick glance at the photographs, the house certainly does look smaller from the outside then it actually is.
    With it being a chalet bungalow you've usually got the problem of lots of eaved ceilings upstairs, which does give the impression of a lack of space - I'd always worry about fitting in wardrobes etc because of the eaves.

Practical advice, the front looks a little scruffy (not awful, just a little scruffy), a tidy up wouldn't be a bad thing. Must admit the bathroom could probably do with a freshen up, the blue is not a great colour, something fresher would be good, and if that's carpet on the floor, get rid.

The kitchen, if that photo shows all of it, does seem small, more flat sized then house sized. And I know that property programmes are all about decluter - but some personal touches around the place do help - from those photographs it all looks a little bit empty, a bit sterile - not saying plaster the walls with photos of Great Aunt Val, but some nice prints, some flowers etc, do warm the place up.
  • Options
    LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    OP... it looks as if no one lives in the house. There is no 'stuff'. No pictures, ornaments, toiletries, vases of flowers, it's all blank surfaces. I think you may have taken decluttering to an extreme, it looks a bit unhomely and unwelcoming.

The kitchen looks good, bathroom needs re-doing but that is factored into a lower price so shouldn't be a problem. But I would be wondering if you can fit a shower because of the low ceiling. Almost everyone will want a shower.

I know these are your own pics, not the EAs, but I would get new pics done if they are similar. The exterior looks as if the house was photographed in winter, which would tell buyers it has been on the market for aeons and they will wonder why. Take the chance to add a couple of pots of colourful annuals, and move the bin when the EA takes the photo of the front.
  • Options
    whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A couple of things, I would get rid of the red in the living room, it makes the room look dark and small. In the bathroom, can you get rid of the wooden toilet seat? and get a White one instead, can you also paint over the blue you have in there and make it White as you have enough colour from the mosaics. I don't like the green flooring in the bathroom but I understand it may not be in your budget to replace this. Finally, I agree with whoever says it's doesn't look very lived in, especially the kitchen, it looks a bit to bare and not that welcoming. It is a lovely house though, good luck!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    I would agree with a lot of the above, the bathroom could do with a lick of neutral paint and a new white loo seat, add some colour in the front garden and possibly repaint the red wall with the door in it in the living room. Is it normal in your area to have oil heating?
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is possible but long winded so no, auction is out of the question.

What makes you think that? As long as the reserve price covers the mortgage redemption I don't see what the problem would be.
  • Options
    Pugwash69Pugwash69 Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I sold my house 5 years ago, I didn't use an estate agent. I advertised the house myself on one of the new web sites (I think it was called monkey move) at the time, who submitted their feed to placed like rightmove and fish4. It was a free listing too!

After a few weeks someone phoned and asked to view, made a decent offer and we agreed on the spot. I got a local solicitor to handle my end with theirs.

I think I'd do it the same way next time too if possible. The only query the buyer had was why there was no sale board out the front! It sold so quick I didn't think to make one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    What makes you think that? As long as the reserve price covers the mortgage redemption I don't see what the problem would be.
    Hi David,

Not quite as simple

I buy and sell properties at auctions and no doubt you will know exchange of contracts is instant on fall of hammer and completion is usually between 14 and 28 days after that,--- sometimes a little longer or shorter depending on the conditions set.

Property Auctions are very quick but you have to be on the ball with the paperwork among other things in place,
    but you are always in control,-- if mortgage free and freehold/lease hold,---- but any delay are your problem,--- of your making.

As I wrote it is possible to sell a mortgage property at auction but experience has taught me in the distant pass when buying a mortgage property, there are always delays, they are always usually of other peoples making,-- not something a buyer/seller at auction has time to deal with or can afford to, from the fall of the hammer, the clock is ticking to complete.

And of course there is nothing stopping a buyer with a mortgage in principle in place bidding at auction but again can be fraught with delays and loss of deposit----again fall of hammer,----clock is ticking.

Mortgage in principle for an auction property is a little long winded,----cash is King at house auctions when buying.

Digressing a little, why any one would use a solicitor for the legalities of buying and selling a property is beyond me, when an on-line conveyancer can do the same job for a third/half the cost??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pugwash69 wrote: »
    When I sold my house 5 years ago, I didn't use an estate agent. I advertised the house myself on one of the new web sites (I think it was called monkey move) at the time, who submitted their feed to placed like rightmove and fish4. It was a free listing too!

After a few weeks someone phoned and asked to view, made a decent offer and we agreed on the spot. I got a local solicitor to handle my end with theirs.

I think I'd do it the same way next time too if possible. The only query the buyer had was why there was no sale board out the front! It sold so quick I didn't think to make one.
    Hi Pugwash,

I agree.

Estate agents do have a place but so many do sit on their back sides and do sweet FA.

Adverts and a board in the garden can do just as well and save a small fortune.

The mechanics of selling a property is not difficult as a DIY project. :)
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Digressing a little, why any one would use a solicitor for the legalities of buying and selling a property is beyond me, when an on-line conveyancer can do the same job for a third/half the cost??

When you're selling for £200K, for example, then whether you pay £400 or £200 for the conveyancing is irrelevant (and there are other fixed costs on top).

For £400 you get the convenience of a high-street solicitor, that you may have used many times before, and where you can pop in to sign or drop off documents.

What one should object to is paying 2% of the sale price to an estate agent (which is what I paid last time I sold via an agent; the next sale after that I handled privately), which dwarfs any conveyancing costs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    When you're selling for £200K, for example, then whether you pay £400 or £200 for the conveyancing is irrelevant (and there are other fixed costs on top).

For £400 you get the convenience of a high-street solicitor, that you may have used many times before, and where you can pop in to sign or drop off documents.

What one should object to is paying 2% of the sale price to an estate agent (which is what I paid last time I sold via an agent; the next sale after that I handled privately), which dwarfs any conveyancing costs.
    Disagree in as much as I don't know of a solicitor that does conveyancing for £400 or £600.

And in most cases what can be more convenient then popping documents in the post or for the more PC savy, e-mail.

On-line conveyancing is a bit of a misnomer as there is paperwork/documents/hard copies still to be signed/sent and phone calls to be made and answered.

In my experience using on line conveyancers is very much a quicker process then a high street solicitors office.

But then I buy at auction so need the speed.

As far as prices, all conveyancing on-line or high street has associated costs, there is the fee charged by the on-line conveyancer, usually between £450-£550 and the searches, environmental, chancellery, water/drain, know your neighbor, that kind of thing but those are the buyers choices to have done.

It's true, like shop warranties some on-line conveyancers push for these searches, there is profit in it and a tiny minority play the numbers game cheap fee, expensive searches or un-necessary suggested ones but high street solicitors play that game to so shop around and it can be hard to get a fixed fee price from a high street solicitor who does conveyancing.

On average I pay £750 all in for my conveyancing per property, very rarely it may go over a £1000, still cheap.

I don't think I'm the argumentative/rebel kind ;) but any estate agent who tried to dictate 2% in to days market would get short shrift from me.

Selling a house DIY style and private is very much with in the scope of most people as there is little to it except effort but as I wrote a good estate agent have their place if that is not a sellers thing.

And a decent, regulated/insured on-line conveyancer/solicitor is a must but need not be exspensive.
  • Options
    fairy_fairy_ Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems strange to me you haven't had any viewings at all, is the house listed on property websites? (apologies if you covered this I only read the first page!)